If you could bring back any Husker from the past?

Offense:

Tom Osborne. (as OC or HBC)

The QB makes less difference than given credit/blame for..Totally dependant on the line for ultimate success. I also think Lee is capable of leading this team as much as ZT or Ganz..I would like to see Turner "Jiell" play with this system after he lit up the CFL for a brief period of time.

Maybe Milt Tenopir a close second.

Defense:

Monte Kiffin..maybe a bit unnessesary with Bo and Carl here..

Suh would give us more credibility

Offense- Joe Ganz; He knew the offense better than Watson.

Defense- Demorrio Williams; Remember how much of a beast he was when Bo was our DC.

I agree with this.

QB/O-Line is where our biggest weaknesses are, so I would think that improving one of these positions would improve the offense the most. I am unsure of how much of an impact one lineman could make when the rest are average, so I say pick a QB. And our playbook and personnel are built perfectly for Joe Ganz. We aren't built to run triple options anymore, so I don't think a Frazier or Gill would be as effective as they were when they actually played.

Defensively, biggest weakness is clearly linebacker. Demorrio Williams, Carlos Polk, Trev Alberts, etc. Either one of those would be exceptional.

I'd hope Watson would be able to adjust his Offense to the players he was delt (unless Callihan's inability to adjust rubbed off too much on him)...I think he could do some damage with a Turner Gill or Tommy Frazier pulling the trigger.

It's probably also unfair to compare our current Offensive line to our great ones of the past..In the past, we were blazing new trails in weight training/conditioning/creative medicine..Our Great Offensive Linemen were going against much weaKer competition relatively speaking whereas now the competition has more than caught up.

But then I also fail to see what was so special about Ganz or Z.Taylor..They were more than servicable, but I doubt much better than Lee will be..But how well will he be at not getting hurt again? Few teams make it with the same guy starting through the whole year.

I highly doubt this thread would even have mention of Ganz or Z.T. ten years from now.

Defense- Demorrio Williams; Remember how much of a beast he was when Bo was our DC.

I agree with this.

QB/O-Line is where our biggest weaknesses are, so I would think that improving one of these positions would improve the offense the most. I am unsure of how much of an impact one lineman could make when the rest are average, so I say pick a QB. And our playbook and personnel are built perfectly for Joe Ganz. We aren't built to run triple options anymore, so I don't think a Frazier or Gill would be as effective as they were when they actually played.

Defensively, biggest weakness is clearly linebacker. Demorrio Williams, Carlos Polk, Trev Alberts, etc. Either one of those would be exceptional.

I'd hope Watson would be able to adjust his Offense to the players he was delt (unless Callihan's inability to adjust rubbed off too much on him)...I think he could do some damage with a Turner Gill or Tommy Frazier pulling the trigger.

It's probably also unfair to compare our current Offensive line to our great ones of the past..In the past, we were blazing new trails in weight training/conditioning/creative medicine..Our Great Offensive Linemen were going against much weaKer competition relatively speaking whereas now the competition has more than caught up.

But then I also fail to see what was so special about Ganz or Z.Taylor..They were more than servicable, but I doubt much better than Lee will be..But how well will he be at not getting hurt again? Few teams make it with the same guy starting through the whole year.

I highly doubt this thread would even have mention of Ganz or Z.T. ten years from now.

That's because we've seen them succeed in this offense before. All of the other QB's haven't played in this offense, so how do we know they will succeed or not. I know we could just go by their strengths, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that they would succeed in this offense. Would your rather have a QB that we know has been successful in this offense or one that we aren't so sure how well they would play in this system.

I agree with this.

That's because we've seen them succeed in this offense before. All of the other QB's haven't played in this offense, so how do we know they will succeed or not. I know we could just go by their strengths, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that they would succeed in this offense. Would your rather have a QB that we know has been successful in this offense or one that we aren't so sure how well they would play in this system.

I would take Frazier or Gill in ANY offense over Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz.

And frankly, no one outside of the team/staff knows what "this offense" is going to look like. It's not going to look like it did last year, or in 2008, or in 2006. The best hint at where this offense might be going is the Holiday bowl, and recent recruiting (Brion Carnes, Jamal Turner, Bubba Starling)...

Still can't believe people are arguing for Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz over Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Vince Ferragamo, Brook Berringer, Jerry Tagge, Dave Humm, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Dennis Claridge etc etc etc...

I agree with this.

I would take Frazier or Gill in ANY offense over Zac Taylor or Joe Ganz.

And frankly, no one outside of the team/staff knows what "this offense" is going to look like. It's not going to look like it did last year, or in 2008, or in 2006. The best hint at where this offense might be going is the Holiday bowl, and recent recruiting (Brion Carnes, Jamal Turner, Bubba Starling)...

Still can't believe people are arguing for Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz over Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Vince Ferragamo, Brook Berringer, Jerry Tagge, Dave Humm, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Dennis Claridge etc etc etc...

I realize this may not be considered the WCO anymore..But It does appear to be related enough to have as a main purpose, to make up for most flaws that an "ordinary QB" may have.

I'd just like to see what one of our "Great ones" could do with it.

Humm, Faragamo, and even Keller may have been too good of pure passers to succeed in the "Dink and Dunk", but in Keller's case, I sure would have liked to see what he could do with more mid range passes called (where I felt he was the most dangerous/accurate).

Watson's Offense may fail to utilize the gifts a person like Gill or Frazier has, but I still hope he has the ability to adapt his Offense to his personel, and keep it ever-evolving..The great coaches do.

I agree with this.

I'm not so sure we HAVE seen them be all that successful against good defenses.

Behind last year's OL, we'd have been throwing all the past QB's to wolves as far as I'm concerned. Bradford was a pretty good college QB, but he didn't last too long being protected by a subpar OL. We can choose all the Husker greats we want with regards to QB, but none of those guys played behind an OL that was even remotely as bad as last year's!

• Fire 1

And Zac Taylor spent essentially the entire season with the #3 Quarterback Rating in the country and was Big XII Offensive Player of the Year...

In addition, Joe Ganz, after his senior year, had the third highest career quarterback rating (amongst active quarterbacks) behind Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford.