Simpler blocking schemes for the O-line?

i didnt want to give out names but since you did... yes that is the case. he is just helping get things in order. he is not coaching.

Why would it be a bad thing to give out Milt Tenopir's name? We knew he was kibitzing with Barney and Bo months ago.

Because rules and regulations state that only 9 coaches can be at practice. i dont know what the violations are for having him help. but i do know that there could be if it got out i guess. ill take his help daily and i do know he isnt getting paid for his help its purely voluntary.

He's a consultant to the coaches, and can sit in the bleachers with TO and watch all he wants eek3dance.gif

You are correct though, he cannot be on the field to my knowledge with the players.

Not only was Hickman hurt, but so were Ricky and Marcel for sure, and maybe Williams as well (I've heard conflicting reports). I've also heard that Williams isn't a lock for the starting LG spot.

I remember reading about Callahan's O-line coaching. He would want exact foot placement for the linemen and would make them redo plays in practice if they were inches off. I don't know if this is true or not, but I remember reading direct quotes from a player about this. If a lineman is thinking about such minutiae during the game, they won't be able to focus on the big picture. Changes away from this kind of technique and back to Milt's is not a bad thing.

Not only was Hickman hurt, but so were Ricky and Marcel for sure, and maybe Williams as well (I've heard conflicting reports). I've also heard that Williams isn't a lock for the starting LG spot.

I remember reading about Callahan's O-line coaching. He would want exact foot placement for the linemen and would make them redo plays in practice if they were inches off. I don't know if this is true or not, but I remember reading direct quotes from a player about this. If a lineman is thinking about such minutiae during the game, they won't be able to focus on the big picture. Changes away from this kind of technique and back to Milt's is not a bad thing.

Every single lineman was hurt at one time or another, pretty sure Williams tore a muscle in his chest last fall camp, played through it but felt like something was stabbing him in the chest all year.

Callahan is widely regarded as one of the best OL coaches in the NFL right now though. I guess you can make the college vs NFL argument, but while I buy that for electric QBs who can't pass as well as they need to in the pro's, I don't really buy that for trench battle. I think it's got to be ingrained into the linemen, the minutiae such as how to position themselves before the snap, so that they are able to explode into each play well. At the risk of sounding stupid since I don't actually know what I'm talking about, they can't just line up sloppily or lazily and expect to adjust properly after the play if they are determined enough, can they?

Maybe the players didn't take to coaching the way the J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets OL have. But then, I don't think the players not being able to embrace detail and technique is something to celebrate over. I mean, I have high hopes for the OL too, but 'more grit and less finesse' just sort of makes me cringe a little. It doesn't exactly protect quarterbacks, cut down on senseless pre- and post-snap penalties, etc.

Then again, maybe it's not like that, and the article was just trying to take a good angle on things when it comes off sounding a lot worse than intended.

There are some decent points being made here, but as far as the injury excuse I just don't buy it. Every O-line in the country has injuries through out the course of a season, and I can assure you NU will face this same dilemma this year. Every team will. Using the excuse that players where banged up to justify a seasons worth of poor execution and bone headed penalties is doing a disservice to every other O-line in the country that faces the same issues. Does anyone really think NU's pipe lines of the 90's didn't have to deal with injuries?

I think the added depth NU will field this season will help to soothe some of our injury concerns, but certainly won't be the magic pill that will cure all of the O-line's ills.

Every single lineman was hurt at one time or another, pretty sure Williams tore a muscle in his chest last fall camp, played through it but felt like something was stabbing him in the chest all year.

Correct. Keith Williams tore his pectoral last year in fall camp. That's like getting stabbed with a knife every single snap.

Jacob Hickman had a hip pointer and back issues all year and was even quoted once saying "I've got 14 screws, two plates and a washer in me." There's a reason the guy retired when he could have been an NFL draft pick.

Marcel and DJ Jones both had bad high ankle sprains that gave them lots of trouble throughout the year. Marcel's swelling got so bad he missed the bowl game.

Mike Smith started the season injured (he missed the FAU game and came of the bench against stAte and VT remember) and though he got better through the year I don't believe he was ever 100% until the bowl game. He also missed this year's spring game as well though I can't recall the nature of his injury. anyone know what he did?

Not to mention not having Sirles and Qvale who had season ending injuries in fall camp

Last year's line was a walking M*A*S*H Unit practically the entire year.

There are some decent points being made here, but as far as the injury excuse I just don't buy it. Every O-line in the country has injuries through out the course of a season, and I can assure you NU will face this same dilemma this year. Every team will. Using the excuse that players where banged up to justify a seasons worth of poor execution and bone headed penalties is doing a disservice to every other O-line in the country that faces the same issues. Does anyone really think NU's pipe lines of the 90's didn't have to deal with injuries?

I think the added depth NU will field this season will help to soothe some of our injury concerns, but certainly won't be the magic pill that will cure all of the O-line's ills.

Ya injuries will always be there but 4/5 of our starting-line was considerably banged-up and we didn't have the depth to compensate. The pipeline had depth, they'd have been sitting guys we had keep throwing out there on the field. DJ and Caputo were the only subs that got significant time. We should have a credible sub for every starter this year. I wasn't happy with the line play either but IMO they should get the benefit of the doubt.

Callahan is widely regarded as one of the best OL coaches in the NFL right now though. I guess you can make the college vs NFL argument, but while I buy that for electric QBs who can't pass as well as they need to in the pro's, I don't really buy that for trench battle. I think it's got to be ingrained into the linemen, the minutiae such as how to position themselves before the snap, so that they are able to explode into each play well. At the risk of sounding stupid since I don't actually know what I'm talking about, they can't just line up sloppily or lazily and expect to adjust properly after the play if they are determined enough, can they?

Maybe the players didn't take to coaching the way the J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets OL have. But then, I don't think the players not being able to embrace detail and technique is something to celebrate over. I mean, I have high hopes for the OL too, but 'more grit and less finesse' just sort of makes me cringe a little. It doesn't exactly protect quarterbacks, cut down on senseless pre- and post-snap penalties, etc.

Then again, maybe it's not like that, and the article was just trying to take a good angle on things when it comes off sounding a lot worse than intended.

I have to wonder if the college vs. NFL argument is precisely the argument that should be made, though. It is well documented that Coach Callahan is one of the best OL minds in the game, and that his attention to detail is legendary. However, wouldn't it be a lot easier to install all of that detail with professional athletes who make their living playing football, and in a league where there are no restrictions on how much contact you can have with your players? Professional linement aren't trying to pass 12 credit hours per semester. And hell, some linemen play for 13 years. That's a lot of time to get good at what you do. I always sort of felt that a big part of Callahan's problem was that he wasn't able to pass along all he knew given the time constraints and practice restrictions put forth by the NCAA. He's a great pro position coach. Head College Coach, not so much.