Simpler blocking schemes for the O-line?

I was reading through an article in the Statepaper and I came across this blurb.

“We evaluated ourselves and that was the main thing: You have to stay healthy to have a great season,” Marcel Jones said.

Then, the simplified blocking schemes that require more grit and less finesse were a hit with these guys in spring.

When I read this I thought, Didn't NU already simplify their blocking schemes last year? And the year before that? Don't get me wrong, I'm not unabashed Cotton hater like some are on the board. Mainly because I don't know enough about the inner workings of the program to know what is really going on at the position. But that doesn't stop me from wondering, just how simple can NU's blocking schemes really get? I personally think a balls-out approach to blocking can be a very good thing for a FB team. Hell, sometimes you need to just unleash the beasts, ya know.

But does anyone think the answer to NU's O-line struggles are all about scheme? Or do the coaches need to ask for more consistency from the starters? I can't help but feel that there comes a time when simplification will only do a team so much good. And that maybe the players on hand just need to learn to be more accountable to the system they're in, and just step up to the task at hand.

Any thoughts?

I was reading through an article in the Statepaper and I came across this blurb.

“We evaluated ourselves and that was the main thing: You have to stay healthy to have a great season,” Marcel Jones said.

Then, the simplified blocking schemes that require more grit and less finesse were a hit with these guys in spring.

When I read this I thought, Didn't NU already simplify their blocking schemes last year? And the year before that? Don't get me wrong, I'm not unabashed Cotton hater like some are on the board. Mainly because I don't know enough about the inner workings of the program to know what is really going on at the position. But that doesn't stop me from wondering, just how simple can NU's blocking schemes really get? I personally think a balls-out approach to blocking can be a very good thing for a FB team. Hell, sometimes you need to just unleash the beasts, ya know.

But does anyone think the answer to NU's O-line struggles are all about scheme? Or do the coaches need to ask for more consistency from the starters? I can't help but feel that there comes a time when simplification will only do a team so much good. And that maybe the players on hand just need to learn to be more accountable to the system they're in, and just step up to the task at hand.

Any thoughts?

I've got a thought. I can say with confidence, I AM an unabashed Cotton hater, like some others on this board. And, with that said, I can't imagine offensive line schemes drawn up by Barney "The Scholar" Cotton could've been too advanced to begin with.

i think it means we finally got some hosses. You dont need fancy when you put the guy in front of you on his ass, then look for the next victim. Remember pulling tackles? And when done right, how simple and beautiful of a thing it is? Thats not complicated like chip blocks and fancy packages.

i think it means we finally got some hosses. You dont need fancy when you put the guy in front of you on his ass, then look for the next victim. Remember pulling tackles? And when done right, how simple and beautiful of a thing it is? Thats not complicated like chip blocks and fancy packages.

This is the difference between Barney and Bill Callahan, one of the best OL minds in the business. It's been like this from day 1, hasn't it? Barney criticizing the previous scheme for too much thinking, and just wanting pure grit and effort. Yeah, that's nice, but you can use all the angry emotion and energy you want, but not directed the right way, it'll still wind up with a lousy OL.

Playing 'balls out' did wonders for us back in the day when we physically outmatched all the opposition, but that's not how college football is today, is it? S&C has caught up around the country. Yes, our S&C coach is great, but the gap is not the fundamental game-defining difference it once was.

As Nebraska fans, for some reason, we tend to dismiss anything 'complicated' as cutesy, finessy, feminine, or whatever. But then we talk about Ndamukong Suh, and how the best DT in the game for a long time was so good because he knew how to use his hands, not just his raw strength. I'm no expert, but isn't OL the same way - it's all about technique, not grit. I'm sure it's a hit with the players, just like it was two years ago when Barney first came on board. But being a hit with the players isn't going to help us win games. Just because OL isn't called a 'skill position' doesn't mean it doesn't depend critically on skill.

Here's the article link:

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/08/07/4c5dcf3f32b63

• Fire 2

im still not worried. If the coaching staff isnt overthinking it, then i sure as heck wont. Bo comments have been nothing but positive about the line, and as a guy that obviously knows d line, he knows o line by proxy. Just think about the competition...and barney works for bo.

here is EXACTLY what it means... they are recieving help to get things in order. Some of the schemes and calls were off. not the way they should be executed. so the powers that be asked for some assistance in getting things the way they should be. take this as you do i cannot say anymore.

Barney has spent a LOT of time with Tenopir after spring ball and throughout the summer from what I heard. Watson and Bo also spent extensive amounts of time with Milt and Osborne to help incorporate some of the practice habits from the old regime, specifically in developing depth and versitility within the line.

We have 9 guys who are very solid heading into this year on the line, Yoshi and Sirles are fighting for the LT, Williams has LG on lock, Caputo is locked in at C, Henry has the RG spot, and Marcel and D.J. are battling at RT. Qvale will backup the Guard spots and Smith will backup the Center spot and could slide to guard if needed.

I think you'll see the complete removal of the Callahan era blocking schemes this fall and a shift to more of the Tenopir philosophy on line play, specifically developing depth and how to run through practices.

I was under the impression that the poor performance on the o-line was due to a lack in depth and an icrease in injuries, just there being a thought of it being related to scheme makes more more nervous than it does reassured.

This is definitely something we have to consider, as well.

It was often reported that Jacob Hickman played with a bowling ball size bruise on his hip through parts of the season. No way that felt good to play with.

The line lacked serious depth last year. This year, Nebraska has the bodies to build depth, but little to no game experience past the first string guys. It will be interesting to see how they develop throughout the season.

That said, I do think technique will play a big part. If technique weren't important then every 300 pound behemoth offensive linemen would be a great blocker. However, we all know this isn't the case. Just because you're big and strong doesn't mean you know how to block somebody.

Barney has spent a LOT of time with Tenopir after spring ball and throughout the summer from what I heard. Watson and Bo also spent extensive amounts of time with Milt and Osborne to help incorporate some of the practice habits from the old regime, specifically in developing depth and versitility within the line.

We have 9 guys who are very solid heading into this year on the line, Yoshi and Sirles are fighting for the LT, Williams has LG on lock, Caputo is locked in at C, Henry has the RG spot, and Marcel and D.J. are battling at RT. Qvale will backup the Guard spots and Smith will backup the Center spot and could slide to guard if needed.

I think you'll see the complete removal of the Callahan era blocking schemes this fall and a shift to more of the Tenopir philosophy on line play, specifically developing depth and how to run through practices.

That's the best news I've heard in years.

Bringing in Uncle Milt & TO is precisely what our OLine & OC needed. We don't need to be ten times bigger, stronger and faster than our opponents. We never were. That's just the old, tired Callahan excuse that never ends. Does Navy & GT have the biggest, toughest Olines in the nation? Simply laughable....

We just desperately need an identity we can practice, recruit and develop to excel at. A thread a few weeks ago was all about that. The Callahan "jack of all trades and master of none" mindset looks to be long gone (thank God).

Thanks jliehr for the excellent update!

Yeah lots of people were willing to give callahan his 4 years. Barney deserves at least 3. If the line continues to struggle you might be able to say inexperience and new scheme but they better improve as the year goes on. Last year our offense was shelved so the opponent just stacked the box. The simplified schemes could be a hit with the players because they can just play some football and feel confident about what they're doing. Needing serious depth at o-line and the limited number of scholarships nowadays means a simpler scheme allows young talent to get in on that depth early.

This is the difference between Barney and Bill Callahan, one of the best OL minds in the business. It's been like this from day 1, hasn't it? Barney criticizing the previous scheme for too much thinking, and just wanting pure grit and effort. Yeah, that's nice, but you can use all the angry emotion and energy you want, but not directed the right way, it'll still wind up with a lousy OL.

I'm not giving Cotton a pass by any means, but the OL play has been spotty at best since the Callahan era, even before that. The last really good OL was in 2001, even though 2003 the play was ok.

This has come up through years and years of poor OL recruiting and teaching techniques. Hopefully, with added depth, less injuries, and the help from Milt and TO, our OL can become a tough, dominant OL.

i didnt want to give out names but since you did... yes that is the case. he is just helping get things in order. he is not coaching.

Why would it be a bad thing to give out Milt Tenopir's name? We knew he was kibitzing with Barney and Bo months ago.

Because rules and regulations state that only 9 coaches can be at practice. i dont know what the violations are for having him help. but i do know that there could be if it got out i guess. ill take his help daily and i do know he isnt getting paid for his help its purely voluntary.