Two-Quarterback System in the Works?

knapplc

Martinez doesn't mean a one-dimensional offense. The kid passed for 3,000 yards his senior year en route to a California state championship, and his team finished the season ranked #2 by USAToday's prep rankings. He's not incapable of passing, and the first team that puts nine in the box against him is going to have a great view of Niles Paul's ash running 60 yards for a TD.

Martinez doesn't mean a one-dimensional offense. The kid passed for 3,000 yards his senior year en route to a California state championship, and his team finished the season ranked #2 by USAToday's prep rankings. He's not incapable of passing, and the first team that puts nine in the box against him is going to have a great view of Niles Paul's ash running 60 yards for a TD.

We could bring up Cody Green's high school stats while we are at it, but it doesn't escape the fact that they are in a much different offense and are very raw as passers. Along with Martinez's reportedly relatively weak arm strength. I'd be shocked if Martinez was ready to read big-time D1 defenses even as well as Cody Green, and Green has had a lot more time in the system as a QB.

That's only if he actually catches the pass and then doesn't cause himself to fumble on the 5 yard line.

That's only if he actually catches the pass and then doesn't cause himself to fumble on the 5 yard line.

We're working on that. Baby steps. <_<

We could bring up Cody Green's high school stats while we are at it, but it doesn't escape the fact that they are in a much different offense and are very raw as passers. Along with Martinez's reportedly relatively weak arm strength. I'd be shocked if Martinez was ready to read big-time D1 defenses even as well as Cody Green, and Green has had a lot more time in the system as a QB.

How do you figure? Green and Martinez arrived at NU only a few months apart.

And how is Martinez already a play-maker? The guy hasn't taken a single snap yet.

And how is Martinez already a play-maker? The guy hasn't taken a single snap yet.

zoogies is most likely basing that off of TMart's Spring Game, which was pretty impressive. And I'm sure he knows all about the long list of Spring Game stars who have fallen by the wayside during the season, but it's still a fair point.

zoogies is most likely basing that off of TMart's Spring Game, which was pretty impressive. And I'm sure he knows all about the long list of Spring Game stars who have fallen by the wayside during the season, but it's still a fair point.

Maybe - but saying we "need" to get him on the field as a play-maker when he hasn't taken a single snap is WAY premature IMO. (Not directed at any particular poster but the tone of this thread in general.)

Maybe - but saying we "need" to get him on the field as a play-maker when he hasn't taken a single snap is WAY premature IMO. (Not directed at any particular poster but the tone of this thread in general.)

Did you watch the Spring Game? Martinez showed stuff we haven't seen here in a while.

How do you figure? Green and Martinez arrived at NU only a few months apart.

Taylor didn't early enroll, did he? And he was working with receivers last year, rather than at QB fulltime the way Green has been from day 1. Green came here early, and as a quarterback; Taylor, as a guy who had a cursory 'shot' at it before depth problems took over.

As for playmaker, I didn't actually say anything about that. He's an athlete and we'll see if he can be a playmaker.

Did you watch the Spring Game? Martinez showed stuff we haven't seen here in a while.

We talkin' about practice. Not a game, not a game. ;)

(Had to do it)

Edit: I didn't get to see the Spring Game, but it sounded like TMart could have easily had a multi-INT game

We talkin' about practice.

Seriously - what the hell is the fascination with this idiot's quote? He's never won anything. He knows nothing about what it takes to be a champion.

Are we trying to look cool or are we trying to win championships? I'm going to look for championships, personally.

Haha relax. People who quote it aren't agreeing with him, they're making fun of him. It's not that AI said practice was more not important. It's that he said the word practice like 30 times in a span of 2 minutes and made himself look like an idiot. And he ended with "How the hell am I gonna make my teammates better by practicing?" It's a gem.

There is a separate issue though. I'm a firm believer in you play like you practice. But some guys are practice warriors (Keller) while others are total gamers (Ganz). So there's a sense of you don't know what you truly got in a player until the bullets really start flying.

We talkin' about practice.

Seriously - what the hell is the fascination with this idiot's quote? He's never won anything. He knows nothing about what it takes to be a champion.

Are we trying to look cool or are we trying to win championships? I'm going to look for championships, personally.

Because it's funny. The quote is normally used in a sarcastic way

Anyway, after being completely underwhelmed by Green, I think I'll hold judgment til I see this kid in action in an actual game