Have we really? If he isn't good enough to play QB at Nebraska and he isn't willing to play another position, have we really lost a talented player? Other than simulating opposing teams QB's in practice, what would we really be out if he left?

There's a lot of truth here. Especially when you look at what we have at QB in the stable and committed, we're pretty loaded. If he's not willing to help out the team and he's going to transfer, we haven't lost much except potential. And every guy on the roster has potential.

True, but my reasoning is it just looked like to me in the spring game that he just that "it" factor at just making plays. But realistically he hasn't proven anything yet like you said so we'll just wait and see where this goes...

I was at the Spring Game, too. I know he's got talent, and that "it" factor, and it seems pretty odd to me that we would transfer our #3 QB to another position, but that's what Bo's quote sounded like to me.

Well like you said were going to be loaded at QB so we can afford to try that out. Hopefully Martinez is open minded enough that we just want him on the field and switching positions is the only way then so be it.

Hopefully Martinez is open minded enough that we just want him on the field and switching positions is the only way then so be it.

That, or this is all just overblown and he's a QB and on the team and we can chalk this up as offseason boredom. That's my ideal resolution to this. But we'll see. All too often these guys with these rumors aren't BSing. I wish sometimes that they were more often, but we see too many of these rumors turn out to be true. <_<

Hopefully Martinez is open minded enough that we just want him on the field and switching positions is the only way then so be it.

That, or this is all just overblown and he's a QB and on the team and we can chalk this up as offseason boredom. That's my ideal resolution to this. But we'll see. All too often these guys with these rumors aren't BSing. I wish sometimes that they were more often, but we see too many of these rumors turn out to be true. <_<

Agreed, if the rumors from years past hadn't been as true this would be hard to believe but I feel like we've been down this road before...

Isn't he at QB right now? That would be a little bizarre.

He's listed at QB on the depth chart right now, but who knows if that changed? I could be reading way more into it than what was said in an informal, unprepared statement, but it just struck me as odd that all the QBs were there, but Martinez wasn't. Unless Bo thought the press didn't know Martinez was absent, or just had a momentary brain cramp.

I don't want to read too much into an off-the-cuff statement, but it stood out to me.

What depth chart? Taylor is listed at QB on the roster, but that same roster still has Heard and Harper there also. Unless he's had a change of heart, he's not moving from QB, which is a shame, he could help the team significantly at WR.

Agreed, if the rumors from years past hadn't been as true this would be hard to believe but I feel like we've been down this road before...

Rumor has it that Martinez drove up to Omaha today to meet with coach Petito. No, wait.... old news and wrong guy. I think you guys are reading way too much into this. We all know that Martinez has a lot of talent and potential. He would be a fool to transfer to another team at this point. As I recall, we were the biggest name willing to give him a shot at QB. I would think that he would be happy (as a Freshman) with what seems like guaranteed playing time on the team out of the wildcat or other roles. He has an excellent shot at becoming the starter next year if he continues to learn, improve and compete. If Lee goes down, he will be very close to being the starter.

So while we're all prattling on about how he's quitting or transferring, as far as I know he's at practice and playing quarterback. Are there any actual reasons to think he's left or swapped positions?

This is why I moved this to Rumorville. I haven't heard a thing indicating he wasn't at practice yesterday, or today.

I like Bo's fire...but he needs to grow up a little bit when it comes to interacting with others. He is still too much of a slave to his emotions.

Put yourself in his shoes...some of the media asks ridiculous questions, and to just keep getting asked the same one in a new way 4 times in a row would be annoying.

Yes, but it's also a big part of the job that he gets paid a BOATLOAD of money to have. So I don't think it unreasonable to expect him to start getting used to it and maybe lighten up a bit.

He's also human........emotions don't stop just because you get a big paycheck.

Coaches are lose-lose here. Bill Belichick trains himself to be completely neutral so he doesn't blow up on those idiots, and they confuse his expressionless behavior as rudeness.

Other coaches just eventually blow up. There aren't many coaches that have been around the block who haven't eventually wanted to deck a media reporter (and a few actually have).

You can expect whatever you want, and rationalize it all you want, but these people are human and they can only take so much. If they try to be stoic and emotionless, they get ripped for it. If they blow their top, they get ripped for it. If they answer the question, it was the wrong move. If they don't answer the question in some situations they can get fined. If you have a good way of handling the media, I'm all ears........I'm sure we could sell a lot of books to coaches who would love to know the secret. Because I guarantee you, none of them know it currently.

Bo's not where he'd like to be in addressing the media, but he's come a long way. He's handling the media better, and anticipating problem questions better. He deflects attention to himself and away from the team. He tries to stay humle. He may not be where you want him to be, but he's not far behind the curve. The media only cares about their job. They're not there in the best interest of the coach or his team. Drama sells, and they're going to ask the same stupid, pointless, unimportant questions over and over again until they either get the story or make one up.

This is an article from friday but it does state that he is still a husker however bo's comments do make me a little nervous.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said Friday quarterback Taylor Martinez is still with the team.

Martinez practiced with the Huskers Friday after missing Thursday's workout. Pelini said Martinez's absence was excused and that the coaching staff knew exactly where he was. Pelini said speculation that Martinez had left the program is "bad information."

ADVERTISEMENT

Martinez is in a three-man competition with Zac Lee and Cody Green for the starter's job. The redshirt freshman's strength is his running ability.

The team practiced for two-and-a-half hours in the morning outside of the Hawks Championship Center before preparing for another practice in the afternoon.

The Huskers practiced in full pads and it was a practice that Pelini said he was happy with. "I thought it was good tempo. I think we are getting better in a lot of areas, I really do. I'm seeing progress."

Pelini also spoke on the possibility of a scrimmage in the future and when it might happen. "It's coming. Yesterday afternoon was the first day we were allowed, by rule, to tackle so we scrimmaged some yesterday. We will scrimmage a little bit tomorrow. Little by little we are easing into it."

Pelini noted that Jermarcus "Yoshi" Hardrick returned to practice after missing the past few days. "Yoshi is back out there. When he initially had the cramping we couldn't get the fluids and we couldn't get an IV in him. But he is fine and doing really well."

Link

I like Bo's fire...but he needs to grow up a little bit when it comes to interacting with others. He is still too much of a slave to his emotions.

Put yourself in his shoes...some of the media asks ridiculous questions, and to just keep getting asked the same one in a new way 4 times in a row would be annoying.

Yes, but it's also a big part of the job that he gets paid a BOATLOAD of money to have. So I don't think it unreasonable to expect him to start getting used to it and maybe lighten up a bit.

He's also human........emotions don't stop just because you get a big paycheck.

Coaches are lose-lose here. Bill Belichick trains himself to be completely neutral so he doesn't blow up on those idiots, and they confuse his expressionless behavior as rudeness.

Other coaches just eventually blow up. There aren't many coaches that have been around the block who haven't eventually wanted to deck a media reporter (and a few actually have).

You can expect whatever you want, and rationalize it all you want, but these people are human and they can only take so much. If they try to be stoic and emotionless, they get ripped for it. If they blow their top, they get ripped for it. If they answer the question, it was the wrong move. If they don't answer the question in some situations they can get fined. If you have a good way of handling the media, I'm all ears........I'm sure we could sell a lot of books to coaches who would love to know the secret. Because I guarantee you, none of them know it currently.

Bo's not where he'd like to be in addressing the media, but he's come a long way. He's handling the media better, and anticipating problem questions better. He deflects attention to himself and away from the team. He tries to stay humle. He may not be where you want him to be, but he's not far behind the curve. The media only cares about their job. They're not there in the best interest of the coach or his team. Drama sells, and they're going to ask the same stupid, pointless, unimportant questions over and over again until they either get the story or make one up.

I agree for the most part. Bo is who he is. He'd rather be showing people on the field than yacking in a conference room. And maybe it's just that I have so little respect for the near-dead entity that is 'journalism' or the 'journalists' who hawk it, but I really don't get misty-eyed over how he sometimes handles them.

• 3 weeks later...