Missed practice yesterday for undisclosed reasons, he was back today and Bo says he knew he would miss practice, but it does seem kind of odd that media access was cut off yesterday afternoon. There was a rumor flying around that he was told the QB race is between Cody and Zac and he was looking to transfer, but hopefully being back at practice today shows there was no truth to it.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/08/13/4c657b1b42860

As if Nebraska’s quarterback race wasn’t hot enough.

NU head coach Bo Pelini Friday put to rest budding rumors that redshirt freshman Taylor Martinez had skipped practice Thursday by saying Martinez was excused from the workout and scrimmage.

“We knew he wasn’t going to be at practice,” Pelini said. “…I don’t know where you’re getting your information. It’s bad information. No he wasn’t at practice. I knew he wasn’t at practice. I knew where he was.”

When asked of Martinez’s whereabouts, Pelini said: “Don’t worry about it. It’s no one’s business but ours. We know exactly where he was.”

Pressed again, Pelini said: “There was no concern! Next issue.”

The Norco, Calif., native was present at Friday morning’s workouts, the first of two. Thursday afternoon, Pelini unexpectedly closed the end of that day’s practice to the media, plus the stretching portion of Friday morning’s practice

I'll get worried when he shows us he's a star and then he's not around. At the moment he's just another freshman with a lot of potential. We seem to have quite a few of those guys right now.

Say we lose TMart. We fall back on a Sr. and a Sophomore with quality game experience, and a true freshman who may just be the next Big Deal. Not to mention LaTravis Washington who I would love to see get a bunch of reps in a Wildcat, not to mention Kellogg and (if possibly healthy) Spano.

We're not hurting at all at QB right now, and while I would hate to see the guy leave... the only person he'd be hurting is himself.

That said, I think this is a pretty baseless rumor. Near as I can tell, a guy on another message board got a text from a friend, and that's how this all got started.

• Fire 1

That said, I think this is a pretty baseless rumor. Near as I can tell, a guy on another message board got a text from a friend, and that's how this all got started.

Bingo. We're what, 5 days into fall practice? They've worn full pads, 1 or 2 times? I highly doubt the coaches have made up their minds this quick. There's still 3 weeks until the first game.

T-Magic is just a freshman. I hope has has better sense than to give up so easily. Sounds like the rumors are more conjecture than rumor even.

But Bo's response is a little mysterious...

I defend Lee a lot on this board at Martinez's expense, but I'm a fan of Tay-Mart. I love his athleticism and want to see it get used in the offense, but I don't think he's able to figure in the QB race this year, and maybe not next year either. Doesn't mean I don't root for the guy though.

• Fire 1