Chase Rome

Vuren

Practice Report: DT Rome makes push to play right away

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON/Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday August 14th, 2010 - 06:49:44 pm CDT

Apparently Chase Rome's early arrival on campus was worth it.

The true freshman defensive tackle finished high school a semester early, enrolling in college classes in January and participating in spring ball at Nebraska.

Seems like he's made an impression.

"He's really coming along," Husker coach Bo Pelini said after practice Saturday. "He's playing really good football."

Good enough that he could play this fall and not redshirt like most true freshmen? It's possible.

"He's definitely in the mix right now," Pelini said of the 6-foot-3, 280-pound native of Columbia, Mo.

"He's been repping with the 1s and 2s, and getting in there and playing some good football for us. Hopefully that will continue."

Rome just solidifies Pelini's confidence in the depth on the interior of the defensive line.

Obviously, there's junior Jared Crick, but Pelini said he's also pleased with the progress of Terrence Moore, Baker Steinkuhler and redshirt freshman Thaddeus Randle.

Practice Report: DT Rome makes push to play right away

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON/Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday August 14th, 2010 - 06:49:44 pm CDT

Apparently Chase Rome's early arrival on campus was worth it.

The true freshman defensive tackle finished high school a semester early, enrolling in college classes in January and participating in spring ball at Nebraska.

Seems like he's made an impression.

"He's really coming along," Husker coach Bo Pelini said after practice Saturday. "He's playing really good football."

Good enough that he could play this fall and not redshirt like most true freshmen? It's possible.

"He's definitely in the mix right now," Pelini said of the 6-foot-3, 280-pound native of Columbia, Mo.

"He's been repping with the 1s and 2s, and getting in there and playing some good football for us. Hopefully that will continue."

Rome just solidifies Pelini's confidence in the depth on the interior of the defensive line.

Obviously, there's junior Jared Crick, but Pelini said he's also pleased with the progress of Terrence Moore, Baker Steinkuhler and redshirt freshman Thaddeus Randle.

didn't see that, got a call earlier today while i was out and about with work, when i was told.

If the guy can play, let him play. Would only bulk up the special teams that much more and give starters more of a break. Never really understood holding a guy back just because you can. Redshirts make sense, when maturity is involved (mental & physical). Dont get the impression that Chase has that problem, between enrolling early and being 280 pounds, plus Bo's comments.

I hope he is a redshift and cannot compete for a starting DT as a true freshman. I say that because it would signal a huge drop-off in our defense.

Or he really is that good of a player. I see it only as a positive if he plays early.

The staff is going to evaluate everyone and put the best players on the field. If thats a freshman, then so be it. It only strengthens the argument that Bo has no favoritism, and by busting your @ss and being the best, you will see the field. Lets recruits see this too.

I hope he is a redshift and cannot compete for a starting DT as a true freshman. I say that because it would signal a huge drop-off in our defense.

Or he really is that good of a player. I see it only as a positive if he plays early.

The staff is going to evaluate everyone and put the best players on the field. If thats a freshman, then so be it. It only strengthens the argument that Bo has no favoritism, and by busting your @ss and being the best, you will see the field. Lets recruits see this too.

I hope you are right and I want the best player on the field obviosly. However replacing suh with a frosh would say more in my mind about the lack of talent there than that of the newcomer who surely has a huge upside. Seldom is a frosh DT ready to start on a top defensive line. Maybe this time it's different. I hope it is.

The way I see it is, Ankrah was really tearing it up last year even with the 1st team and we still preserved his redshirt with Allen, Turner, Meredith and probably some other guys putting in the spot duties as a #4 DE.

This year we have 3 frontrunners at DT: Crick and Steinkuhler/Moore. Randle, and whatever other bodies we have there could probably handle the spot playing time we'd ask out of the #4 DT. So if Rome is physically talented but would only be the #4 DT, I could see the argument for preserving the shirt (especially since the other DTs are relatively young - Jr, So, So, Fr, right?). If something happens to the top 3 guys early in the season, I think the shirt goes. But maybe he will just be that good...

Yes, we want to get the best guys on the field. But if Rome were to play this year, that would put him and Thad in the same class, making them both froshes eligibility wise this year. They'd both graduate and we'd need to find some other DT's to fill that hole in the future. Nothing like not filling a positional need in NCAA and having to play a crappy 45 overall walkon there next year.

Anyway, with that being said, I don't have a problem if Chase plays. Rex, Tray, and Cody Green proved last year that True froshes can definitely contribute to a football team. But Bo's MO is to not play freshman, RS them and let the mature and learn the ropes their first year. Just the way he likes to do things. I'd say Chase is probably our 5th defensive tackle at this point. Depending if they do indeed rotate our D lineman more this year like Carl has said, there MIGHT be a spot for Chase to get some time, and his chances increase if someone gets hurt. I just don't see him playing this year, though. I think Crick, Moore, Bake, and Thad keep him off the field, ALA Suh and Steinkuhler to the other DT's in 2008. But hey, if Chase gets on the field, I will cheer him on like anybody else.

This kid is truly one of my favorites from the 2010 class. You gotta love a guy... and I think it was Rome, right?... who's dad had martial arts experience and passed that knowledge on to the kid. That should definitely teach Rome how to use his hands, eh?

If he was a summer enrollee this kind of thing would make you wonder how good the depth is. But everyone knew he was a quality player, and with a full winter condition, spring, summer conditioning, and fall camp under his belt, if he's ready let him play. Redshirts are usually a better way to go, but if a guy's ready, he's ready. No use saving the cake until the party's over.