Delany links Penn State and Nebraska?

HuskerNMO

In an interview on ESPN about conference rivalries Delany put Nebraska and Penn State together, along with rivalries like Purdue and Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern, and Michigan and Ohio State, it may be innocent, but this would be awesome if not!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/14868/jim-delany-talks-michigan-ohio-state

But the most important thing is that they're played. If you have them in the same division, one of those teams is going to the playoff and one of them is not. If you split teams, whether it’s Purdue and Indiana, or Illinois and Northwestern, or Michigan-Ohio State, or Nebraska and Penn State, if you split them, they can both go. If you don’t split them, only one can go.

In an interview on ESPN about conference rivalries Delany put Nebraska and Penn State together, along with rivalries like Purdue and Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern, and Michigan and Ohio State, it may be innocent, but this would be awesome if not!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/14868/jim-delany-talks-michigan-ohio-state

But the most important thing is that they're played. If you have them in the same division, one of those teams is going to the playoff and one of them is not. If you split teams, whether it’s Purdue and Indiana, or Illinois and Northwestern, or Michigan-Ohio State, or Nebraska and Penn State, if you split them, they can both go. If you don’t split them, only one can go.

Loving that talk! Perhaps Iowa won't be rammed down our throats haha

One thing is for sure though, we need to play Penn State on a daily base!

Great post. And although I would like to see Michigan be a power again, I doubt it will be with Rich-Fraud. He may be building a 'monster', but a monster that the NCAA will crack down on. I'm guessing this may be his last year to prove himself.

If I get to vote, this Wolverine votes for Ohio State as our last game and we get to play Nebraska or Penn State or Iowa for the conference championship.

Michigan will be back. Rodriguez is building a monster. We will be ready for you in 2011.

Go Blue.

The only thing Rodriguez is building is hate with the fans. He makes Bill Callahan look like a saint. I would safely bet if that if Michigan has another losing season he is gone.

I am the only one who doesn't care about the PSU-NU "rivalry?" Really, they are half way across the country, and it would just be awkward. I respect PSUs tradition and some of the great, meaningful games that we have had with them, but I am more stoked about NU-Iowa, NU-UW, heck even NU-Minn.

I am the only one who doesn't care about the PSU-NU "rivalry?" Really, they are half way across the country, and it would just be awkward. I respect PSUs tradition and some of the great, meaningful games that we have had with them, but I am more stoked about NU-Iowa, NU-UW, heck even NU-Minn.

So.. according to your line of thinking... Nebraska-Oklahoma wasn't a good rivalry because OU was too far away and therefore just awkward? You respected Oklahoma's tradition and the great, meaningful games NU/OU had but Colorado, Missouri and Kansas were more our "real" rivals because of their geographic proximity?

So.. according to your line of thinking... Nebraska-Oklahoma wasn't a good rivalry because OU was too far away and therefore just awkward? You respected Oklahoma's tradition and the great, meaningful games NU/OU had but Colorado, Missouri and Kansas were more our "real" rivals because of their geographic proximity?

Apples and oranges. Lincoln to Norman is about an 8 hour drive, but it is about 15 hours from Lincoln to Happy Valley?

NU-PSU have had, what about 6 non-conference games played against each other since the late 70's (30-35 years), some had NC implications. For 30 years, the NU-OU game was normally for at least a share of the Big 8/12 championship/Orange Bowl, which often had NC implications.

NU-OU was a tradion rich, natural rivalry. Just simply putting NU and PSU in the same division and making them play the day after Thanksgiving does not make a natural rivalry (see NU-CU).

Apples and oranges. Lincoln to Norman is about an 8 hour drive, but it is about 15 hours from Lincoln to Happy Valley?

NU-PSU have had, what about 6 non-conference games played against each other since the late 70's (30-35 years), some had NC implications. For 30 years, the NU-OU game was normally for at least a share of the Big 8/12 championship/Orange Bowl, which often had NC implications.

NU-OU was a tradion rich, natural rivalry. Just simply putting NU and PSU in the same division and making them play the day after Thanksgiving does not make a natural rivalry (see NU-CU).

All of this..... and you're wanting a "rivalry" with Iowa over PSU or anyone else??? Two of the games we played against PSU probably meant more than all the games we've played vs Iowa. How many games have we played against Iowa anyhow? I've no clue and more important, I don't even care to look it up. I bet the rest of the nation doesn't get fired up about a Nebraska vs. Iowa match up. They would over NU vs PSU or Michigan though.

I think some of our Husker fan base has been polluted by this whole "state of texas bragging rights" thing. Good football and rivalries aren't about beating someone, anyone so you can talk smack to their fans the next Monday at work. Or call them up and rub it in on the phone. That's the only logical reasoning I can come up with when I see some of our fans desiring a rivalry with Iowa.

If PSU is a protected rival, count me out. I dont want any part of having to play MU, PSU, OSU, Iowa and/or Wisc all in the same season. That would just be brutal.

I see the divisions breaking down like this:

East

OSU, PSU, Wisc, Minn, Ind, Purdue

West

MU, MSU, NU, Iowa, NW, ILL

Protected Rivals

MU/OSU, PSU/MSU, Wisc/NU, Iowa/Minn, Ind/NW, Purdue/ILL

Rivalry Weekend Matchups

MU/MSU, PSU/OSU, Iowa/NU, Minn/Wisc, Ind/Purdue, NW/ILL

I think matching us up with PSU as our protected rival could potentially be to our detriment depending on how the schedule will fall. We could have a gauntlet, let MSU and Wisc deal with that.

All of this..... and you're wanting a "rivalry" with Iowa over PSU or anyone else??? Two of the games we played against PSU probably meant more than all the games we've played vs Iowa. How many games have we played against Iowa anyhow? I've no clue and more important, I don't even care to look it up.

I didn't say I "wanted" a rivalry with Iowa. We sort of already have a rivalry, even though we don't play every year.

I bet the rest of the nation doesn't get fired up about a Nebraska vs. Iowa match up. They would over NU vs PSU or Michigan though..

From a historical standpoint, I would agree. But as of last year and this year, Iowa v. NU would be a VERY big game, bigger than PSU-NU (because Iowa has regularly beaten PSU) and MUCH bigger than NU-MU. If both Iowa and NU stay relevant and are consistant top 15/BCS caliber teams, it will be a very natural, nationally recognized rivalry.

I think some of our Husker fan base has been polluted by this whole "state of texas bragging rights" thing. Good football and rivalries aren't about beating someone, anyone so you can talk smack to their fans the next Monday at work. Or call them up and rub it in on the phone. That's the only logical reasoning I can come up with when I see some of our fans desiring a rivalry with Iowa.

It's the same thing that makes the OU/OSU, Iowa/ISU, KU/Mizzou such great rivalries. One or both of those teams may not be very good, but they are great rivalries.

It sounds like Iowa-Wisconsin will be a protected rivalry before the Nebraska-Wisconsin "rivalry".

If PSU is a protected rival, count me out. I dont want any part of having to play MU, PSU, OSU, Iowa and/or Wisc all in the same season. That would just be brutal.

East

West

Protected Rivals

Rivalry Weekend Matchups

I think matching us up with PSU as our protected rival could potentially be to our detriment depending on how the schedule will fall. We could have a gauntlet, let MSU and Wisc deal with that.

It sounds like Iowa-Wisconsin will be a protected rivalry before the Nebraska-Wisconsin "rivalry".

East

West

Protected Rivals

Rivalry Weekend Matchups

I dont think so. The Floyd of Rosedale and Paul Bunyans Axe both have more tradition than the Heartland Trophy that was created 4 years ago. Having Wisconsin as our protected rival allows for both of those tradition rich rivalries to go on. it also appeases the small sect of NU fans that want Wisky as a rival, it appeases the entire Wisky fanbase that wants us as a rival.