Does anyone think Cody Green transfers?

I think Green is the #2 at this point at QB, but Martinez will see the field more. If Lee goes down, Green is the man. Basically T-Mart is our offensive "peso" type player. He will be a hybrid QB, RB and WR, and will see the ball 5-10 times a game.

IMHO, there is a little too much smoke for martinez to simply be the gimmick guy. why is it so hard for some to believe that he just may simply be better than green, or even lee.

Lee's entering his 4th year in the offense, Green has 2 springs and a full season at QB. Martinez has had basically 15 spring practices and 1/3 of reps through fall camp, people talk about the good things he's done in camps but you don't hear the bad things much like throwing multiple pick six's in a row. I am pretty sure that Watson prefers Green over Martinez, but he realizes that he is a big weapon and needs to see the field.

I think Green is the #2 at this point at QB, but Martinez will see the field more. If Lee goes down, Green is the man. Basically T-Mart is our offensive "peso" type player. He will be a hybrid QB, RB and WR, and will see the ball 5-10 times a game.

IMHO, there is a little too much smoke for martinez to simply be the gimmick guy. why is it so hard for some to believe that he just may simply be better than green, or even lee.

Lee's entering his 4th year in the offense, Green has 2 springs and a full season at QB. Martinez has had basically 15 spring practices and 1/3 of reps through fall camp, people talk about the good things he's done in camps but you don't hear the bad things much like throwing multiple pick six's in a row. I am pretty sure that Watson prefers Green over Martinez, but he realizes that he is a big weapon and needs to see the field.

he seems like a guy who loved the huskers... not as much as JT perhaps but still a lot.... i think the guy is smart enough to know and has the charecter to know that if you transfer (like people have said) its not likes he's gonna come right in and be given a spot based on the fact he hasn't done anyything (no chance yet) to earn a spot... unless its at some crappy lower tier school.. i think he sticks it out....

he seems like a guy who loved the huskers... not as much as JT perhaps but still a lot.... i think the guy is smart enough to know and has the charecter to know that if you transfer (like people have said) its not likes he's gonna come right in and be given a spot based on the fact he hasn't done anyything (no chance yet) to earn a spot... unless its at some crappy lower tier school.. i think he sticks it out....

I agree. Cody Green *started* as a true freshman for us. How many QBs have done that in the history of NU football?

The guy had a pretty remarkable start to his NU career. He’s got three years left. No way he transfers.

So when Martinez gets a shot and throws 2 picks are we gonna have (another) thread about him transferring?

I was simply asking a question. If Green ends up 3rd on the depth chart. Dont you think it runs through his mind?

It would probably run through anyone's mind. And i think the reason the tone of this thread hasn't gone well is because you made it sound like cody green was officially 3rd on the depth chart.

Warning: :boxosoap

And also i am just wondering, why are we so quick to write of cody green and so quick to crown T-Mart as our savior? Cody Green might have struggled at times last year but at least the coaches thought he was the better option to start than T-Mart. What has T-Mart even done? He did good in a spring game, big whoop. I seem to recall Curenski Gilleylen (sp?) having a crazing good spring game to years ago and whats he really done. Not much. Not saying i favor either Green or T-Mart or even Zac Lee, (to be honest idc, i just want us to start the one that gives us the best ooption to win) but why so much of the :leghump: of T-Mart? he hasn't even played a game. Not saying that T-Mart can't do special things for NU, cause i believe he has talent, but don't be so quick to write of cody Green bc he struggled as a 17 year old kid.

Anyway :rant

Sorry M_h that came off kinda douchey. I wasn't calling you out, I'm just sayin this is the same old saong and dance we heard last year, Zac was doing poorly so everyone put CG on a pedestal and now that we're hearing that Martinez is making the first man miss at practice everyone is becoming awfully quick to drop not only Zac but Cody as well in favor of glorifying Martinez.

But anyways, I would hope that if Cody gets passed up his focus would be on improving to beat out the #1, not bailing out to an FCS school or something to be coddled. That ain't a Bo Pelini kinda guy.

If you get beat out by a kid who wasn't even recruited to play quarterback, than that is all on you.

First, I agree that this rumor is bullcrap.

Second, Martinez was certianly recruited as a QB first. The coaches knew he could play another position if it didn't work out at QB.

Go back and read his recruiting articles.

Specifically, the kid was recruited as an athlete.

Even more specifically, he was recruited by the coaches with the idea of playing on defense. But, he said all along that if a chance at quarterback arose than he would want a fair shot.

Uh, I follow recruiting quite a bit, especially since Bo took over. The problem is, Rivals is wrong, because they didn't report the whole story. The "athlete" part is what he was designated by the recruiting service. Green started out as an athlete as well.

It was quite known that he was coming in as a QB first on Scout. So, yes, he had the option to play D if it didn't work out, but he certainly was being brought in as a QB first.

I think he'd be crazy to when he has a real shot to assert himself in the QB competition next year.

The thing about transfers...you go to a different school, sit out a year, and they have their Qb situation sorted out already. At best you're competing for a starting job. And even if you were a starter and successful at your old school, it's hardly a guarantee at the new one (see Mustain, Mitch and Harrison Beck). Sure there's your Ryan Mallet (different situation) and Jevon Snead and Sam Keller (also different situation), but I can't think of any place where Cody has a better shot at becoming the future QB than here, really. Unless he wants to take a step down in level of competition.

Agreed. Hope he doesn't leave but then again we are loaded at the position for the future.

So when Martinez gets a shot and throws 2 picks are we gonna have (another) thread about him transferring?

I was simply asking a question. If Green ends up 3rd on the depth chart. Dont you think it runs through his mind?

It would probably run through anyone's mind. And i think the reason the tone of this thread hasn't gone well is because you made it sound like cody green was officially 3rd on the depth chart.

Warning: :boxosoap

And also i am just wondering, why are we so quick to write of cody green and so quick to crown T-Mart as our savior? Cody Green might have struggled at times last year but at least the coaches thought he was the better option to start than T-Mart. What has T-Mart even done? He did good in a spring game, big whoop. I seem to recall Curenski Gilleylen (sp?) having a crazing good spring game to years ago and whats he really done. Not much. Not saying i favor either Green or T-Mart or even Zac Lee, (to be honest idc, i just want us to start the one that gives us the best ooption to win) but why so much of the :leghump: of T-Mart? he hasn't even played a game. Not saying that T-Mart can't do special things for NU, cause i believe he has talent, but don't be so quick to write of cody Green bc he struggled as a 17 year old kid.

Anyway :rant

Sorry M_h that came off kinda douchey. I wasn't calling you out, I'm just sayin this is the same old saong and dance we heard last year, Zac was doing poorly so everyone put CG on a pedestal and now that we're hearing that Martinez is making the first man miss at practice everyone is becoming awfully quick to drop not only Zac but Cody as well in favor of glorifying Martinez.

But anyways, I would hope that if Cody gets passed up his focus would be on improving to beat out the #1, not bailing out to an FCS school or something to be coddled. That ain't a Bo Pelini kinda guy.

O, your fine. I just heard a buddy say he heard Cody was thinking of transferring. This is by no means a source, nor do i have any reason to believe that its true, but it got me thinking. If CG ends up at 3rd on the depth chart(which i know is a big if) than he might be thinking aobut it.

If you get beat out by a kid who wasn't even recruited to play quarterback, than that is all on you.

Second, Martinez was certianly recruited as a QB first. The coaches knew he could play another position if it didn't work out at QB.

Even more specifically, he was recruited by the coaches with the idea of playing on defense. But, he said all along that if a chance at quarterback arose than he would want a fair shot.

Uh, I follow recruiting quite a bit, especially since Bo took over. The problem is, Rivals is wrong, because they didn't report the whole story. The "athlete" part is what he was designated by the recruiting service. Green started out as an athlete as well.

It was quite known that he was coming in as a QB first on Scout. So, yes, he had the option to play D if it didn't work out, but he certainly was being brought in as a QB first.

He was brought in as an "athlete with the chance at QB." We gave him his chance like every school that does this does, and he surprized. We really didn't intend on keeping him at QB his whole career as he was working at WR in the bowl preperations. He is one of those kids that obviously does not take no for an answer. He was a definate third on our depth chart until he "missed" that practice. Ever since then he has been very impressive and has played very inspired football.

He was brought in as an "athlete with the chance at QB." We gave him his chance like every school that does this does, and he surprized. We really didn't intend on keeping him at QB his whole career as he was working at WR in the bowl preperations. He is one of those kids that obviously does not take no for an answer. He was a definate third on our depth chart until he "missed" that practice. Ever since then he has been very impressive and has played very inspired football.

Sorry, but that's not entirely true. Martinez worked as the Scout Team QB just like Lee, Ganz, and Keller. Again, he was brought in as a QB first, with the option to move if it didn't work out.

I don't care who starts, but misinformation drives me crazy.

Sorry, but that's not entirely true. Martinez worked as the Scout Team QB just like Lee, Ganz, and Keller. Again, he was brought in as a QB first, with the option to move if it didn't work out.

Yeah he was the scout team QB because he was most similar to quarterback we were facing. Besides that was later in the season after he got his shot competing. Also I trust Rivals waaay more than I do scout.

You dishing out the misinformation drives me crazy. He was brought in as an athlete with a chance at QB, go back and read this thread. Cody Green was PROMISED that he would be the only QB brought in during the 2009 cycle.

You dishing out the misinformation drives me crazy. He was brought in as an athlete with a chance at QB, go back and read this thread. Cody Green was PROMISED that he would be the only QB brought in during the 2009 cycle.

I did, and all I saw were posts from RIVALS. It helps to gather info from multiple sources before asserting something as fact. Believe it or not, they aren't the only site out there...

Then I guess you are driving yourself crazy. You are extremely wrong on Martinez.

Here's the OFFICIAL Nebraska release on recruits from 2009 that lists Martinez as an ATHLETE, and Green as a QB.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=3660376

Martinez played QB a bit on the scout team, but Ron Kellogg played it the vast majority of the time. Martinez operated at WR the vast majority of the time last year.

In fact Kellogg was even named scout team MVP for his efforts last year.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=3662486

Martinez notes about last year

2009 (Redshirt)

Martinez redshirted in his first season in the program and worked on the scout team.

And Kellogg's

2009 (Redshirt)

Kellogg quarterbacked the scout team, and earned Scout Team MVP honors.

And last but not least here's the writeup on Martinez from when he signed saying he could play on either side of the ball.

Taylor Martinez

ATH, 6-1, 185, Corona, Calif. (Centennial HS)

Taylor Martinez is a talented all-around athlete who has the ability to

play on either side of the ball at Nebraska. One of six Californians in

Nebraska's 2009 recruiting class, Martinez compiled huge numbers

as a quarterback during his senior season. The 6-0, 175-pounder

also has shown outstanding ability on defense and could be a factor

in the Nebraska secondary in the future. Martinez was a dual threat

quarterback for Coach Matt Logan at Corona's Centennial High School

during his senior season. Martinez passed for better than 3,000 yards

and threw 28 touchdowns, while completing about 61 percent of his

attempts. On the ground, Martinez added 750 rushing yards and 12

touchdowns. His play helped Centennial to a perfect 15-0 season and

a state championship, culminated by a victory over prep powerhouse

De La Salle High, when Martinez threw for 243 yards. Centennial High

finished No. 2 nationally in the USA Today's final high school rankings.

Martinez was named the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and

also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year

Award. The award is named in honor of the 1946 Heisman winner

from Army. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was also the

Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year. Martinez spent only one

season at Centennial High School. As a junior, he played quarterback

at San Bernadino Cajon High and accounted for about 1,500 yards of

total offense. Martinez spent his freshman and sophomore seasons

at Norco High, where he earned the majority of his playing time in

the secondary. Martinez is ranked among the top "athlete" prospects

in the nation by Rivals.com, while Scout.com lists him among the top

50 quarterbacks in the nation. He is listed among the top 50 players

in California by both Rivals.com and SuperPrep. Martinez committed

to Nebraska last August and only visited the Huskers. He is the son of

Casey Martinez and Eti Fania and was born on Sept. 15, 1990.