Will Compton suffers foot injury

Nexus

This is completely devastating. Any chance our D had to repeat last year's performance just flew out the window. I'm all for optimism, and I'm sure there are competent players ready to step up, but you lose both your starting linebackers before the first game, one out for the season, and the other one probably for about that long, and think that it's no big deal?

Please.

That may be a bit melodramatic. We went through last season with one, count 'em one, competent LB in Dillard. If LaVonte David is everything Pelini says he is we should be fine. Did anyone watch the preseason Bo Pelini/Nebraska Football Show? Bo was pitchin' a serious tent for David's athleticism and instincts.

And how many starts does he have at the D-1 level? How many snaps has he played at the D-1 level? Dillard, as you know, is no longer with us. That leaves us with precisely 0 proven linebackers, and the top two contenders either out for the year or a significant portion of it.

I'm sorry, folks, as tasty as a strong jug of kookaid is, you don't lose all your experience in the middle of your defense and then smile about it. It may not be the end of the world, but that doesn't mean we won't feel the tremor of the earthquake when some big back starts gashing through the tackles.

Stop worrying Husker X...I'm gonna suit up, I still have eligibility! No, I don't know how to play linebacker, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Am I the only one that thought Whaley looked like the best LB on the field in the spring game?

He led the team in tackles, but he wasn't the "#1" coming into the Fall. Now he has to make good on the promise he showed, as does David, as does May, as does Martin.

We don't have unskilled guys out there. What we have are a bunch of talented but raw guys. Raw talent can be exploited, which is why everyone's shorts got a little tighter with this news about Compton.

Where's Willie? I want to know who's responsible for making the defensive calls. Was it Compton? If so, who takes over?

Do not get caught up in this too much. Sure, it sucks to lose Compton because he was our most seasoned LB, but it could end up being a bit of a blessing.

BY FAR, our two most gifted LBs are Martin and David. The biggest issue for both are their lack of experience and knowledge. Now both are going to have the opportunity to eat a TON of snaps in the WKU and Idaho games.

When it comes time for UDub, I would rather have those two LB chasing Locker around the field than anyone else.

David I have no fear in. That kid will be a monster by the time he leaves campus. Martin is a man-beast, but just needs those reps and experience so he can hopefully take out that over-aggressive attitude he has that forces him into mistakes.

Gonna love seeing all the speed we will have on the field this year at LB. Gonna be a wonderful change of pace from past years.

Am I the only one that thought Whaley looked like the best LB on the field in the spring game?

He led the team in tackles, but he wasn't the "#1" coming into the Fall. Now he has to make good on the promise he showed, as does David, as does May, as does Martin.

We don't have unskilled guys out there. What we have are a bunch of talented but raw guys. Raw talent can be exploited, which is why everyone's shorts got a little tighter with this news about Compton.

Where's Willie? I want to know who's responsible for making the defensive calls. Was it Compton? If so, who takes over?

Do not get caught up in this too much. Sure, it sucks to lose Compton because he was our most seasoned LB, but it could end up being a bit of a blessing.

BY FAR, our two most gifted LBs are Martin and David. The biggest issue for both are their lack of experience and knowledge. Now both are going to have the opportunity to eat a TON of snaps in the WKU and Idaho games.

When it comes time for UDub, I would rather have those two LB chasing Locker around the field than anyone else.

David I have no fear in. That kid will be a monster by the time he leaves campus. Martin is a man-beast, but just needs those reps and experience so he can hopefully take out that over-aggressive attitude he has that forces him into mistakes.

Gonna love seeing all the speed we will have on the field this year at LB. Gonna be a wonderful change of pace from past years.

I trust those two as well, but I really liked Compton this year. Something about him just made me think he had the instincts to become a Barret Ruud-type LB for us.

Over on HI they're saying it's not as bad as it originally sounded and he should be back in a few weeks. Could be back for the Washington game. Hope Eric Martin is getting himself up to speed.

I can't believe folks are calling for LaTravis. Do you remember how thin we got at LB in '08? Do you remember how were playing inexperienced walk-ons? Latravis was still riding pine. LB wasn't working-out. If we had a do-over with LW I'd liked to have seen him try TE. I'd move Okafor over first and that would prbably be a waste of time.

Injuries to starters will indeed affect the Blackshirts, but at the same time, our offense could do a good deal in masking what might be a weakness - if they're better than last year, and move down the field instead of 3 and out after 3 and out, our defense won't HAVE to be as good as it was last year. I doubt we'll see a defense that good for awhile.

Am I the only one who thinks that we're really deep at the LB position. I know Compton is out for who knows how long and Fisher is done for the season but I am very confident that Whaley, David, Martin, Kreikemeier, May will step up and fill that spot and play at a high level.

Don't be surprise to see them move Hagg in there for his speed

From what I understood of the Peso, Hagg is already going to play a hybrid LB position......

From my understand, Kreikemeier is hurt also. This is definitely a concern.