Old Habbits Die Hard

epocSoN

You can win National Championships with a weak passing game. I'm not concerned about our weaknesses throwing the ball, what I'm concerned about are our apparent weaknesses at O Line. Far too often I see O Linemen standing around unoccupied while the defender they were supposed to be blocking disengages and chases the ball-carrier. Our Line doesn't stick on their block, and/or put their man down.

I want to see some freakin' PANCAKES, for the love of Zach Weigert!

Our offense will be in trouble in conference play. I don't see any differences between last year's offense and this year's offense so far. The o-line is still undisciplined, the power running game is a joke, and now we have a QB that is pretty much one dimensional. Yeah, he can throw a little bit, but nothing that would be seen as much of a threat to defenses.

I see us in a similar situation as we were last year. Hopefully our defense can be elite once again to get us through games.

His user name says it all...he must be bored trying to stir the pot

And as for the posters calling out Watson for changing the plays all the time....i think its good for the cupcakes. Sure we could have run the option read 30 times and Taylor could have scored 5TD with 250 yrds rushing and you all would be kissing his feet. Why do that vs Idaho...Why? give Helu 35 carries WHY? So YOU can feel good about YOUR Huskers...give me a break, its not the TO era anymore people. BOs not going to run up the score. We have more then just the option now. In years past we would just line up and say stop us and win 70-3. Its not like that anymore you Old Timers. We save our playbook(and players)for when it matters. Anyone can see we are running a very basic Offense and Defense. When we need Taylor to run it 25 times for 200yrds he will. When we need to blitz and run line stunts...we will, why give film when you dont have to. Bo is smart...he knows playing time is crucial right now for the young guys.... not scoring 70 pts to please you guys.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for getting STUFFED by freakin "Idaho" on 3rd & 4th down short runs. Like we're saving a power running game that actually works for the good teams?

I don't think so. But then I'm just an "old timer".....I'll let you "modern" fans tell me how that's just fine.

we can pass. t-mart has been money on the short outs and slants. a little play action. lesson learned.

Sure, that works too. But again, being an "old timer" I think we must be able to gain one or two yds on the ground when we have to.

I would surely agree with you, that was pretty pathetic. But im not talking about one play, im talking about the overall game and how the plays are being called. So Watson runs a few plays that work and then tries new things big deal...its idaho. Im just sick of people on here saying we suck because we arent blowing teams out, it obvious there are more important things going on then just the score. Alot of guys post on here and you can tell they didnt watch the game..maybe just some highlights and they see the score and go whoa we didnt score 60 what the heck our offense sucks.

Nope, just going off last year where people were saying we had the best offense to ever be assembled in Division I football during our first few games, only to sputter and completly stall during Big 12 play. Great. We have an explosive running QB. What's going to happen when teams put eight or nine in the box and stuff the zone read? Will he be able to pass effectively enough to move the ball? Based off the last two performances, I don't know that, so I'm not just going to assume everything will be okay. The offensive coaches, unlike the defensive coaches, have shown me nothing to make me think everything will be fine on offense. I don't know..maybe I'm missing something. Maybe suddenly we have really great offensive coaches.

And as for the posters calling out Watson for changing the plays all the time....i think its good for the cupcakes. Sure we could have run the option read 30 times and Taylor could have scored 5TD with 250 yrds rushing and you all would be kissing his feet. Why do that vs Idaho...Why? give Helu 35 carries WHY? So YOU can feel good about YOUR Huskers...give me a break, its not the TO era anymore people. BOs not going to run up the score. We have more then just the option now. In years past we would just line up and say stop us and win 70-3. Its not like that anymore you Old Timers. We save our playbook(and players)for when it matters. Anyone can see we are running a very basic Offense and Defense. When we need Taylor to run it 25 times for 200yrds he will. When we need to blitz and run line stunts...we will, why give film when you dont have to. Bo is smart...he knows playing time is crucial right now for the young guys.... not scoring 70 pts to please you guys.

Sorry buddy, but you should almost always be able to gain one yard when you need it. We got stuffed on every power running play we tried including two plays where we only needed a yard. This was IDAHO. If we get stuffed by Idaho, what's going to happen when the defenders get bigger and faster?

And you act like our offense was great against Idaho. It wasn't. Yards are great but they don't win games. Sure we were up 38 to 17, but 14 of those points were from our defense. Our offense put the ball on the ground EIGHT times, but luckily only lost three of those. Who knows what would have happened if Idaho players were lucky enough to be in the right place for the other five fumbles. Sorry, but that's unacceptable, and we won't win many games with that many turnovers.

We have more than the option? Really? All of our offensive scores were from the zone read option. Most of our big plays the last two weeks were from the zone read option. Taylor maybe had two or three passes that were for over 20 yards. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I was just curious what you saw that tells you we "have more than just the option now". Is Watson just sitting on some great plays that are waiting to be unleashed...just like he did last year? Sorry, but with this offense it has become "I'll believe it when I see it" for me.

Basically what I was trying to say is that through two games, it's the same undisciplined offense I saw on the field last year, but we have added a fast QB. This can obviously change, but I can only go off what I have seen, not what might happen.

I dont get it, when was i ever talking about one play.

Last i checked the option read is "multiple options" mulitple formations, that we can run muliple plays and looks from...take one wrong step and T Magics gonna burn you. All im saying is we have shown glimpses of what our running game is about, sure we got stuffed on 4 and short and that looked bad. All you guys do is harp on a few bad plays....look at the postitves....helu looks better and faster the ever rex is bigger and faster and tmart can be a gamebreaker at any second. Im sorry but im really excited about our running games potential. Put 9 in the box go ahead and try and stop us.

The "old option" was line up and try and stop us as well. We are running right at you what are you going to do about it. I dont get how we won chanpionships even when teams would put 9 in the box, they knew what was coming and still couldnt stop it...yet this years option read wont work? Sorry im just not buying it. But hey i like to think postive.

We havent even run the wildcat except the one try with niles. Again why show it against Idaho. Why give Helu tough carries between the tackles with the game in hand. Its common sense. We are building up to it, and getting playing time for the excellent young talent we have.

I know this confirms that I'm about a thousand years old (I guess), but I miss a by-God fullback.

What's wrong with Tyler Legate? :dunno

Nothing.

I meant in the playcalling - lining up and just 'manning it' straight ahead. Seems like we prefer tricky... jmho.

Have you seen our power running game lately? That's why we aren't using the fullback.

I know this confirms that I'm about a thousand years old (I guess), but I miss a by-God fullback.

Nothing.

I meant in the playcalling - lining up and just 'manning it' straight ahead. Seems like we prefer tricky... jmho.

OK, I was thinking maybe you were not noticing him. Nevermind. :)

Nothing.

Have you seen our power running game lately? That's why we aren't using the fullback.

That's exactly my point.

Nope, just going off last year where people were saying we had the best offense to ever be assembled in Division I football during our first few games, only to sputter and completly stall during Big 12 play. Great. We have an explosive running QB. What's going to happen when teams put eight or nine in the box and stuff the zone read? Will he be able to pass effectively enough to move the ball? Based off the last two performances, I don't know that, so I'm not just going to assume everything will be okay. The offensive coaches, unlike the defensive coaches, have shown me nothing to make me think everything will be fine on offense. I don't know..maybe I'm missing something. Maybe suddenly we have really great offensive coaches.

Sorry buddy, but you should almost always be able to gain one yard when you need it. We got stuffed on every power running play we tried including two plays where we only needed a yard. This was IDAHO. If we get stuffed by Idaho, what's going to happen when the defenders get bigger and faster?

And you act like our offense was great against Idaho. It wasn't. Yards are great but they don't win games. Sure we were up 38 to 17, but 14 of those points were from our defense. Our offense put the ball on the ground EIGHT times, but luckily only lost three of those. Who knows what would have happened if Idaho players were lucky enough to be in the right place for the other five fumbles. Sorry, but that's unacceptable, and we won't win many games with that many turnovers.

We have more than the option? Really? All of our offensive scores were from the zone read option. Most of our big plays the last two weeks were from the zone read option. Taylor maybe had two or three passes that were for over 20 yards. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I was just curious what you saw that tells you we "have more than just the option now". Is Watson just sitting on some great plays that are waiting to be unleashed...just like he did last year? Sorry, but with this offense it has become "I'll believe it when I see it" for me.

Basically what I was trying to say is that through two games, it's the same undisciplined offense I saw on the field last year, but we have added a fast QB. This can obviously change, but I can only go off what I have seen, not what might happen.

I dont get it, when was i ever talking about one play.

Last i checked the option read is "multiple options" mulitple formations, that we can run muliple plays and looks from...take one wrong step and T Magics gonna burn you. All im saying is we have shown glimpses of what our running game is about, sure we got stuffed on 4 and short and that looked bad. All you guys do is harp on a few bad plays....look at the postitves....helu looks better and faster the ever rex is bigger and faster and tmart can be a gamebreaker at any second. Im sorry but im really excited about our running games potential. Put 9 in the box go ahead and try and stop us.

The "old option" was line up and try and stop us as well. We are running right at you what are you going to do about it. I dont get how we won chanpionships even when teams would put 9 in the box, they knew what was coming and still couldnt stop it...yet this years option read wont work? Sorry im just not buying it. But hey i like to think postive.

We havent even run the wildcat except the one try with niles. Again why show it against Idaho. Why give Helu tough carries between the tackles with the game in hand. Its common sense. We are building up to it, and getting playing time for the excellent young talent we have.

Before we dare anyone on defense to do anything and claim that we will demolish them: can't we at least see how we stack up against a foe that has some 3 and 4* players rather than those that would not be considered by a Big 12 school? To date we have played what amounts to a good caliber Junior college team that one would expect us to beat badly, just like the Sunbelt championship we earned last year. At that time many of you started measuring Lee for the Heisman and extrapolated the great offense to the "real" games. It didn't even come close. If we are predictable and cannot hit medium range passes; I think teams with good D will shut us down. On the other hand I could well be wrong and this offense with T M in charge will re-write the record books. The point is; only a fool gets too high over what they see in practices or chump games. There will be time enough to book our air to the NCG if things are really that good. We have not proved anything yet. If we hang 50 on Washington and shut them down to a couple scores, that is significant. Of course so is getting beat or eeking out a win over a team that has major problems outside of QB. The season is here. We don't have to BS about the future, just watch it unfold...and if there is more work to do, they'll have to do it.

Our offense will be in trouble in conference play. I don't see any differences between last year's offense and this year's offense so far. The o-line is still undisciplined, the power running game is a joke, and now we have a QB that is pretty much one dimensional. Yeah, he can throw a little bit, but nothing that would be seen as much of a threat to defenses.

I see us in a similar situation as we were last year. Hopefully our defense can be elite once again to get us through games.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for getting STUFFED by freakin "Idaho" on 3rd & 4th down short runs. Like we're saving a power running game that actually works for the good teams?

I don't think so. But then I'm just an "old timer".....I'll let you "modern" fans tell me how that's just fine.

we can pass. t-mart has been money on the short outs and slants. a little play action. lesson learned.

Sure, that works too. But again, being an "old timer" I think we must be able to gain one or two yds on the ground when we have to.

I would surely agree with you, that was pretty pathetic. But im not talking about one play, im talking about the overall game and how the plays are being called. So Watson runs a few plays that work and then tries new things big deal...its idaho. Im just sick of people on here saying we suck because we arent blowing teams out, it obvious there are more important things going on then just the score. Alot of guys post on here and you can tell they didnt watch the game..maybe just some highlights and they see the score and go whoa we didnt score 60 what the heck our offense sucks.

Well, it was two plays....3rd and two......4th & one. They stuffed us both times. But "Idaho" routinely picked up their 3rd & one or two yards on us without breaking a sweat.

But yeah, it's just two plays and maybe not a big deal. It sure gave shivers down my spine though.....

But "Idaho" routinely picked up their 3rd & one or two yards on us without breaking a sweat.

This is the same thing that happened last year. As outstanding a duo of DTs as we had with Suh and Crick, it seemed like we gave up a LOT of short-yardage first downs. Way more than I expected. We also let people move the ball off the goal line a lot last year - Henery would punt it down there, then we'd let them move it out to their 20 or 30 yard line before making them punt. Happened a lot last year and it happened last Saturday, too.

But "Idaho" routinely picked up their 3rd & one or two yards on us without breaking a sweat.

This is the same thing that happened last year. As outstanding a duo of DTs as we had with Suh and Crick, it seemed like we gave up a LOT of short-yardage first downs. Way more than I expected. We also let people move the ball off the goal line a lot last year - Henery would punt it down there, then we'd let them move it out to their 20 or 30 yard line before making them punt. Happened a lot last year and it happened last Saturday, too.

I think this has alot to do with the type of D we run. We are built for speed and built to stop pass happy offenses, which we are able to do quite handily. When it comes to the power formations we lack some of the size needed to stuff the short-yardage runs. Its a give and take, we cant have it all. I will take giving up a few short yardage gains and some runs as opposed to getting gashed by pass happy O's, atleast we can load the box when we run into power based O's and still have enough protection in the secondary to be effective.

We are going to give up running yards, that just the way this D is built. The rush D will get better as the season goes on as well. We have two/three rookie LB's calling the shots, it is expected to have growing pains. It will all come together soon enough.

Yeah, you're right.

Why we don't go to anything even remotely close to a goal-line stand on those 3rd & shorts is over my head. But there's no arguing the end results. I guess Bo just doesn't like the chance of giving up the PA big play?