What they're saying - Huskies fans

knapplc

Anyone who remembers the games we played against Washington in the 90s remembers their fans as being very friendly, very classy. They're good folks up there in the Pacific Northwest, and our visiting Husker Fans should have a warm welcome.

Here are a few comments I gleaned from posts after their latest game, a 41-20 win against Syracuse.

1. Thank you Sark and Huskies for an impressive come-from-behind win. Way to shrug off the errors and dominate the second half.
  2. Nice win. But the Dawgs need to improve on special teams and avoid getting silly penalties. The face mask on the punt all but ruined the first quarter for the Dawgs.
  3. Ball Control will be key against Nebraska. There Secondary is fast and there Offense is explosive. The Dawgs will need some breaks and the running game to continue to emerge for the W
  4. Good solid win but the Dawgs are giving up way too much yardage on punt and kickoff returns.
    Syracuse ave. 26 yds/kickoff return and 14 yds/punt return.
    UW Ave. 18 yds/kickoff return and 0 yds/punt return.

Not only that but Folk rarely gets his kickoffs anywhere near the goal line so the return is often well beyond the 30 yard line. If the kickoffs are so short we should have better coverage at least.

Dawgs are young on special teams but need to get better soon or it will be very costly.
  5. If we start off like we did today against Nebraska, were gonna be down 21 zip in a blink of an eye. Lastly, if we keep missing tackles, I'm going to lose a gasket!!! And finally, other than field goals our special teams are just awful. Can we please keep our opponent from crossing the 30 on kick offs!????
  6. Still concerned about the slow start. They start slow like that against Nebraska were in trouble. Glad to see a few more short passing plays called allowing some of the recievers to make a few plays. I'm really hoping JJ (James Johnson) will make it back for the nebraska game. I think he will be the darkhorse difference maker next wekkend. I'm concerned with our defense again as i believe it will the harder to score touchdowns once were in the redzone against Nebraska and we'll have to settle for fieldgoals.

Difference makers against Nebraska next week

1) Offensive Line must create holes (recievers must block in order to spring big gains)

2) Get polk going early to open up the play action

3)Defense must provide early pressure to get Nebraska QB in panic mode

4) Incorporate Locker into the running game

I'm really excited for next weekend but hoping mental mistakes dont turn it into a blow out.
  7. Best way to avoid bad TV coverage: Come to the games! Too many empty seats yesterday... we need you and your lungs at Husky Stadium.

I found that last comment the most interesting. Apparently there were a lot of empty seats at the Syracuse game, and they were about 10,000 short of a sellout. I don't expect that to be the case this week, if for no other reason than that Husker fans will fill those seats if the Dawgs don't.

It seems like the well-oiled machine of the Huskies' offense isn't, at least not for the first six quarters of the season. Through halftime against the Orangemen the Huskies had scored only 30 total points, including none in the second half against BYU.

Apparently they're also struggling on Special Teams, allowing an average of 23 yards per return on kickoffs and 14 yards per punt. This is, according to some of the posts above, due to youth on Special Teams. That's not a good omen against a Husker team averaging 27 yards per kickoff return and 19 per punt return. Special Teams could change the face of this game dramatically, even if Locker goes wild while passing.

I'll have more on the game coming up this week, including more stats and a breakdown of the Huskies.

Special teams could be a huge factor in this one. Maybe it was Adi's huge step up in touchbacks (someone help me out with the number?), but it seemed to me like we played a lot better on ST against a better opponent in Idaho. I have a feeling this could be Marlowe's time...

Caveat: Man am I excited for Udub to come here next year. Their fans seem awesome, and I am unfortunately too young to remember the early 90s battles.

I read something the other day that said the highest ever record dB level at a college football game was Nebraska at Washington in 1992. Something like 135 and pain starts at 130.

Its been rumored for years that they pipe the noise in from some artificial source. So its hard to say what's real and what's artificial, but either way it's really loud there. I hope the coaches prepare T-Mart for it.

I read something the other day that said the highest ever record dB level at a college football game was Nebraska at Washington in 1992. Something like 135 and pain starts at 130.

Its been rumored for years that they pipe the noise in from some artificial source. So its hard to say what's real and what's artificial, but either way it's really loud there. I hope the coaches prepare T-Mart for it.

I have a feeling that it could be 50/50 Huskies/Huskers in the stands. I know I'm one loud a** Nebraskan :ahhhhhhhh

I have a feeling that it could be 50/50 Huskies/Huskers in the stands. I know I'm one loud a** Nebraskan :ahhhhhhhh

Husky fans are a lot prouder than most. I wouldn't count on 50/50, I'd say closer to 70/30. Our best west coast representation still has to be at Cal. I was there and it was awesome. Cal's QB Vetter actually had to ask the refs for help and burn a timeout cause he coudn't hear. One of the greatest moments ever!

I remember those days - especially the painfully slow secondary and linebackers.

TO got that fixed by, let's see, '93, if memory serves. :koolaid2:

At least that's one thing we don't have to worry about anymore.