5 things to know about NU's uniforms

np_husker

1. Changes are subtle

In adidas' dream world, Nebraska would wear dra$tically different jer$ey$ every two year$.

"We tell them we're Nebraska," NU equipment manager Jay Terry said. "We're not going to switch up the look of our uniform."

There are minor changes from year to year. This year's uniform uses a lighter, stretchier material, with a different cut, making the numbers on the sleeves appear higher on the shoulder pads. The adidas logo is now front and center, so as to make room for bowl patches to the side.

The stripes on the sleeves are now part of the material. Last year, they were screen-printed, and after a couple of times through the wash, had a yellowish color to them. The uniform manufacturer allowed Terry to send back some uniforms to have the stripes replaced.

2. Players don't mind change

Days after Boise State and Virginia Tech wore special Nike Pro Combat Uniforms, players started approaching Terry. "I was bombarded with ‘When are we going to get to do that?'"

Nebraska, of course, isn't partnered with Nike, but Terry expects adidas to do something similar to Nike to keep pace with its rival. "They both feed off of each other," Terry said. "It's a big business."

Would Nebraska agree to wear zany uniforms if approached by adidas? That's up to Tom Osborne, Terry said.

3. One-color looks are trouble

For one, Nebraska hasn't performed well in all-red (Oklahoma, 1986) or all-white (Georgia Tech, 1991; Iowa State and Washington, 1992; Colorado, 2007).

Also, matching red jerseys with red pants is not easy, Terry said. Especially when the pants are shiny and the jerseys aren't.

How about an all-black look?

"I'd probably put on a (bullet-proof) vest when I walked out on the field if that happened," Terry said.

4. They take a beating

Ricky Henry has black smudges on the shoulder of his game jersey. Terry said it's the rubber from the coating on the facemasks of Idaho players.

"That's really hard to get out," he said. "Just the friction melts it in there."

Terry also has a local seamstress patch holes and fix tears. Linemen are especially hard on uniforms. Terry orders two sets of jerseys for all offensive and defensive linemen at the beginning of the year, leaving one set blank of names and numbers, then has the seamstress sew those in as necessary.

5. Fans care

Terry received an e-mail this summer from a fan opposed to the team's black socks. A fan also mailed Bo Pelini a package of white socks, along with pictures showing past teams wearing them, and told the coach he could find enough pairs at Wal-Mart.

"A couple of years ago I wanted to bring back the long, red socks," Terry said. "I got outvoted on that."

In the end, Terry just puts out what he's told to put out. Many decisions, like the color of socks, come from the Unity Council.

"No matter what we do, there are going to be people who have their own opinions, and that's kind of the fun of Nebraska football," Terry said. "Everybody feels they're invested somehow."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_77545316-c05b-11df-a67c-001cc4c03286.html

I'm really against the "black for black's sake" jersey thing that Nike has going on. It sells, and impressionable recruits see that hip hop stars all wear black sports jerseys (starting with Oakland...), so they want to wear black too. Cue Virginia Tech. Ugliest looking things on the planet this year to real football fans, but they're down with the clowns. Not even the school's colors. It's retarded. I know Nebraska calls their defense the "Blackshirts", but if they had black jerseys for game day, I would petition the government for an embargo on Adidas products. If Nike does a black uniform for Ohio State, I think people will openly revolt. It's bad enough that the Pro Combat uniforms are taking the place of the traditional Ohio State colors for the traditional season-ending match up against that other school.

I also like the long Red Socks..Crouch was blazing in them...

The players can stop asking about Uni changes, don't let them think that after 50 yrs of wearing nearly the same Uni as every team before them, they can change things up because it's 'cool'...i'm not some old ass blue hair geezer who 'just doesn't get it', trust me.

But being in the trophy room and the halls of the offices and seeing year after year after year of consistency, now that is 'cool'...weaklings blow which way the wind carries them, including what's 'hot' today. screw that!! keep the Uni's exactly the way they are, or go even more retro.

• Fire 1

I know i will get ripped a new "you know what" for this statement.. but i want to see some different uniforms .. change things up a little.. dont get crazy like VT or Oregon.. but try something a little different like Red helmets or black pants..

I know.. i know.. TRADITION... but i guess i am in the mindset where somethings need to change with time. Not drastic changes.. maybe even have fans vote on a third uniform they will wear at one game a year..

Ok, please dont aim for my face when you begin throwing rotten fruit for my comments.

• Fire 1

All I got from that article is that the older generation of Nebraska fans are extremely resistant to change. That sure is unfortunate for the rest of us from a younger generation. It's college and it's supposed to be fun. Suh said the old-time jerseys from last year were some of his favorite. I would be willing to accept any change-of-pace. And don't get me wrong--our current jerseys are sweet. You see the teams use the Nike Pro Combat for one-or-two games-a-year.

• Fire 1