Dear Negative Nellies

macroboy

Can I be negative about the Head Line Judge? That guy was ATROCIOUS. He consistently marked the ball a foot or two short on Husker runs and a foot or two long on Huskie runs. Bo even challenged the spot at one point, just to let them know he was paying attention. Burkhead even refused to give that guy the ball after Bo made that challenge, instead taking it to a different official near the center of the field.

This was one of the worst officiating jobs I've seen in quite a long time. And it wasn't just spotting the ball - it was Prince's "holding" penalty which happens nearly every play on both sides of the ball but was only called when we picked off Locker. It was the holding calls on the Huskers (only a couple) but none on Washington unless it was absolutely impossible not to call (what, once that happened?). It was the false starts on both offenses that weren't called - Helu was moving several times prior to the snap, I know.

I'll be a negative nelly about the officials. No problem.

• Fire 4

Can I be negative about the Head Line Judge? That guy was ATROCIOUS. He consistently marked the ball a foot or two short on Husker runs and a foot or two long on Huskie runs. Bo even challenged the spot at one point, just to let them know he was paying attention. Burkhead even refused to give that guy the ball after Bo made that challenge, instead taking it to a different official near the center of the field.

This was one of the worst officiating jobs I've seen in quite a long time. And it wasn't just spotting the ball - it was Prince's "holding" penalty which happens nearly every play on both sides of the ball but was only called when we picked off Locker. It was the holding calls on the Huskers (only a couple) but none on Washington unless it was absolutely impossible not to call (what, once that happened?). It was the false starts on both offenses that weren't called - Helu was moving several times prior to the snap, I know.

I'm not as upset about it, but yeah the officiating sucked. Get used to it - Pac-10 and B12 have worst refs in the nation.

EDIT: Helu can move as the single player in motion as long as he isn't moving towards the line of scrimmage at the snap.

There's always things to improve on, but 'negative nelly' isn't a term which should apply this week.

Our run defense needs to get more consistent. That's the main issue going forward.

winner. We shouldn't have given up as much as we did. And more concerning, we really didn't have a consistent pass rush, Locker for the most part had time too throw, he just didn't make good decisions when doing so.

Totally agree! Horrible spotting of the ball. Even the challenge I was like...WTF did you even review the spot?

its interesting you bring that up. on the dawgman forum several posters picked up on this as well, saying that both teams got hosed by that clown.

There's always things to improve on, but 'negative nelly' isn't a term which should apply this week.

Our run defense needs to get more consistent. That's the main issue going forward.

With K-St. and Okie St. having success running the ball, I hope the run defense gets more consistent also.

how can you say the pressure wasnt there? with four guys rushing we do what takes other teams 5 or 6 guys to do. sure, not tfl loss, sacks, whatnot, but as it was put by the coaching staff after the first game, when a team throttles back their passing game its pretty tough to rack up those stats. 4/20 passing, and all of a sudden our defensive line isnt doing a good enough job? puhlease. its not all on the secondary.

Edit: i guess what im saying is, dont look for the glory stats. be amazed that our line with 4 guys does what other teams can only dream of.

• Fire 1

how can you say the pressure wasnt there? with four guys rushing we do what takes other teams 5 or 6 guys to do. sure, not tfl loss, sacks, whatnot, but as it was put by the coaching staff after the first game, when a team throttles back their passing game its pretty tough to rack up those stats. 4/20 passing, and all of a sudden our defensive line isnt doing a good enough job? puhlease. its not all on the secondary.

Sure, it's obvious that Washington (and WKU and Idaho) minimized the impact of our DL by design, but do you think teams weren't trying to do that last year, too? Locker might have been rolling out a lot, handing off a lot, etc. I figured the DL would have at least gotten a few more hits on him, though.

Furthermore, that 4/20 passing was due mostly to the blanket coverage that our all-freaking-world secondary put on the Washington receivers.