Dead Memorial Stadium

NUpolo8

Yeah, I about sh#t a brick when the old lady behind me said "If everyone sits then we can all see." 

but as a polite nebraskan, i'm sure you said something along the lines of, "While i appricate your position on the subject, ma'am, i am a husker fan and believe as one of the nebraskan faithful, i must support the team: loudly, without holding any emotions back. while i value your diversity, i would ask that you value mine at the same time."

because, gosh darn it, we're nebraskans. were just friendly like that, even when we disagree.

now, if you were a colorado fan, you would have turned around, smacked her up along side the head with your beer bottle and said, "SHADDUP YA OLD BIDDIE! YOU DON'T TELL A NAVY MAN HE'S HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK!" followed by the sound **BLARRRURGHHH** as you puked your Coors Lite and hotwing breakfast up on her person.

she should count her blessings that she wasn't in colorado.

:rollin

Nice one, Hack. Way to put things in perspective. :thumbs

I brought my stepdad to the game, was his first ever.. He's from Indiana, and went to IU basketball games when Knight coached, and has been to tons of Colts games. He was impressed and said after the game "I don't know how you guys can lose ANY home games".

But, I definitely noticed the lack of enthusiasm, and pretty much passed it off as the crowd just getting quieted by all the stalled drives and turnovers. However, hearing what you guys are saying.. I gotta tell you, it pisses me off. Hell, there was an old lady in front of me LISTENING TO THE RADIO AND READING A DAMN BOOK. There were a handful of enthusiastic fans in the section where we sat, but overall everyone was very docile.. and for christ sake I was like the ONLY ONE chanting GO BIG RED and screaming for our D to hold on 3rd down. I did get a little help from two highschool girls in the row in front of me, lol.

I was going to write this up in my HQW, but now is as good a time.  One of the worst crowds ever!!!  This has become quite a lingering problem for me.  I noticed the last couple years sporadically, but now it's frequency is rising ...fast.  Where I sat in the Southwest corner was absolutely pathetic.  The fans did sh#t.  I tried to yell or clap on a third down situation to help the defense, and I was told to settle down because I was hurting the girls ear in front of me.  The team was going in for a potential touchdown and I stood up with many others and was being tugged on by the person behind me to sit down.  Nobody, exept a few fans here and there, did or said a damn thing.  I don't know what it was, and I don't care what the problem might be, but the anticipation for the first damn game of the year should have been more than enough.  I don't care how poorly the offense looked, or the fumbles, but we only get 6 or 7 games a year and we have to make the most of them.  Please stay home if you don't like noise. 

Now, I must admit the student section went above and beyond the call of duty.  They were magnificent.  Loud, obnoxious and did I say loud.  Thank you to them for bringin it.

Folks there were some times it was so quite, I could hear the coaches on the sideline yelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad crowd indeed.

Eric. I returned for the Kansas game last year. The first time I had been back for a game since the '90's. Like you, our seats were in the SW corner and my reaction was the same as yours. It is like people just go to the games out of habit but don't really care what happens. They just want to sit there and veg out for 3 hours. When KU was threatening to score in the south endzone I looked around and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'd guess over 80% of the people around me were just sitting there, staring off into space. WTF?

I was in Denver during the Elway years and used to go to games at the old Mile High Stadium. That crowd made Memorial Stadium look pathetic. People would go bonkers. If you didn't want to stand up, fine, you wouldn't see most of the game. If you didn't like the noise, fine, leave. You would swear the movable east stands were going to collapse. Quite frankly, I think most of the fans that attend the games in Lincoln (students excepted) have become quite spoiled and complacent. Sickening and pathetic.

I couldn't agree more with Eric and Dave it' did seem that the crowd was alittle dead for the game, I sit in sec 33 in the north west side of the stadium and me and klotz were the only ones getting crazy and loud. Nobody told me to sit down or be quiet, and if they did I would of told them to stick it. People if it is to loud get the hell out, stay home and watch the game.

I could of coached our team and won by 30 personally, and I'm not thinking highly on myself because I think any one who knows football could do as good or better.
Unreal !! Big EGO here <_<

I disagree with you that hardy is so darn fast, if he was he wouldn't of been chased down from behind by the maine dude. Everyone is expecting more because we brought in the ulmighty bill callahan and pederson says he's tired of not winning titles and he takes in a 10-3 team and leads it to a 5-6 record and probably the same this year.

Wasn't Hardy the one who burned that Main dude in the first place to get open. 5-6 won't happen this year mark it down, also give the team a chance it's only one game

Yeah, I about sh#t a brick when the old lady behind me said "If everyone sits then we can all see." If you wanna sit, go to the f**king bingo parlor. I was amped for the first game, been looking forward to it since practically the Fourth of July, and being told to sit down and watch pissed me off to no end. As much as the game was crappy, the fans were worse. I'm sorry if being a passionate fan and really getting into the game is an annoyance to those around me, last I checked I was at a football game. :wasted

give 'em hell djr!!

i agree.......the faint hearted need to stay home!

hunter

What pissed me off the most was during the tunnel walk, it seemed like more people were more curious as to dissecting the new video than screaming their lungs out. I was at least a little muted as to the situation in the rest of the stadium, as I was in the student section and we did get a fired up over here. I think the night game situation helped. There wasnt a sober person in the stands, including me.

Alright, from the IT SHOULD HAPPEN BUT NEVER WILL category:

Who are CURRENTLY attending UNL and PAYING for school?

Students.

Students get their choice of seats between rows 1-20. Must have ID. This will create a LOUD environment ALL around the stadium and close to the oppenents bench.

Who PREVIOUSLY attended UNL?

Alumni.

They get choice of seats between 20-50, and up as needed. A good eye-level of seats for fans who paid to graduate, and currently pay alot for season tix.

Who likes NU, but has no ties?

Other Fans.

They get choice of seats 50-70, and up as needed.

Who is more interested in neighbor Gertrude's canned apples recipe, watching the planes fly over, and making sure they have all their prescription medication and ear plugs readily available?

70 and up. Hell, you'll be closer to the planes, too.

As a current Alum, that's my take. :woo:smokin

Alright, from the IT SHOULD HAPPEN BUT NEVER WILL category:

Who are CURRENTLY attending UNL and PAYING for school?

Students.

Students get their choice of seats between rows 1-20. Must have ID. This will create a LOUD environment ALL around the stadium and close to the oppenents bench.

Who PREVIOUSLY attended UNL?

Alumni.

They get choice of seats between 20-50, and up as needed. A good eye-level of seats for fans who paid to graduate, and currently pay alot for season tix.

Who likes NU, but has no ties?

Other Fans.

They get choice of seats 50-70, and up as needed.

Who is more interested in neighbor Gertrude's canned apples recipe, watching the planes fly over, and making sure they have all their prescription medication and ear plugs readily available?

70 and up. Hell, you'll be closer to the planes, too.

As a current Alum, that's my take. :woo:smokin

I love the idea, but money talks

Well I realize you may all not like what is happening at the games where the fans are concerned, but I think it goes a lot deeper than simply having "too many old people" in the stands. I believe fans are shell shocked. We were told that this University would not surrender to the likes of Texas and Oklahoma. We were promised we would not slip off into mediocrity. We were told, promised, told, promised. Yet, we did all of those things last year.

We were told at the beginning of the year how great our new recruits were and how great we were to become. We go out and struggle against a patsy D2 team. What in the hell do any of you expect from the fans?

I was at the game in 1994 when Frazier was hurt and Brook was starting against Wyoming. Granted, Wyoming was at least D1 but our backs were against the wall. The crowd did get very quiet during that game. We were all shell shocked as to how one fumbled punt turned the entire game around for us and we squeaked out a victory. The stadium was not rocking that game. Yes, NU fans expectations are high. We've been told this is one of the primary reasons Solich was fired. Don't cry a river when the fans don't scream and make a lot of noise when we play like absolute sh#t on offense against a D2 team. Makes you wonder what would have actually happened if we'd have played Houston. Fans make a lot of noise when they feel good about what's going on. There weren't a lot of things to feel good about Saturday. You take Bo Ruud's interception for a touchdown away, and we could have easily lost the game opener for the first time in many many years and lost for the first time to a D2 team in for like ever! Not a lot of things to get up and scream about!

:yeah

I agree with you. However, there are 'bad' trends that have been going on with husker fans even in the glory years. And no matter how pathetic any team may be anymore, outside of USC, college football is truly turning into an "on any given Saturday" environment. OU was bad at basically one position. And their exposure at QB would have cost them against any decent defense, or against any subpar-but-motivated-by-good-DC defense.

I think the name of the game anymore is the team that has the best coaching that can adjust to an opponent's weakness while minimizing their own is the winner. Watch that theme play out all year this season.

What in the hell do any of you expect from the fans?

Not sitting with your arms crossed pouting like a little girl. If you are that upset, don't go. Seriously it will probably be better for you in the long run. You don't watch over the players like some boss watching over his/her employees. Waiting for the slightest hiccup so you can whine and moan even more as you sit in a pool of your own bitterness that you paid mucho dinero to sit in at every home game.

Not getting pissed at people because they are "too loud". Too loud? You gotta be kidding me. This isn't a friggin library. It's a football game. It's a Nebraska football game. The home opener no less.

The players need all the support we can throw at them during the game. I don't care what year, what coach or what players. You go. You cheer. You have fun. That's what going to a Husker game is all about and everything else is crap if you ask me.

That's what I expect.

PS. When I say you, I am not talking about you imparticular junior. You as in the people sitting behind Eric, DJR and I,the people sitting behind newearthhusker and anyone else fitting the description.