The True Origin of the Nickname

Magical Nickname

The T-Magic nickname? Martinez explained the origin Saturday. Six years ago, Martinez said, his family was going through a hard time.

“My dad just kept saying, ‘Martinez magic time.'”

Then it turned into “Martinez magic.” Then “Magic.” When he got to Lincoln, people called him “T-Magic.”

LINK

So there you have it Husker Nation.

Last night on ESPN-U Countdown to the BCS, the host of the show called Martinez......T-MAGIC! Its official this nick name is sticking.

I've heard it on several broadcasts. It's catchy and it has a nice story behind it. If he continues to play well they'll be calling him T-Magic for the rest of his career.

I've heard it on several broadcasts. It's catchy and it has a nice story behind it. If he continues to play well they'll be calling him T-Magic for the rest of his career.

While I've enjoyed the various attempts to come up with alternate nickname, it's been clear all along that T-Magic was going to be the name that persisted in the media, among the team, etc. It's the nickname his teammates use. It's the nickname he uses. It's been with him for awhile. It's nearly impossible for the fans to trump those factors by coming up with a clever idea for a new one.

I hate the nickname "T-Magic." It's cheesy, sorta effeminate, and so easy to mock. Can you imagine if a K-State quarterback had that nickname? How relentlessly would we mock it? But there's nothing to be done about it.

Though, nothing can force me to use it here on HB.com.

While I've enjoyed the various attempts to come up with alternate nickname, it's been clear all along that T-Magic was going to be the name that persisted in the media, among the team, etc. It's the nickname his teammates use. It's the nickname he uses. It's been with him for awhile. It's nearly impossible for the fans to trump those factors by coming up with a clever idea for a new one.

I hate the nickname "T-Magic." It's cheesy, sorta effeminate, and so easy to mock. Can you imagine if a K-State quarterback had that nickname? How relentlessly would we mock it? But there's nothing to be done about it.

Though, nothing can force me to use it here on HB.com.

So you're saying there's a nickname for an opposing player we wouldn't mock?

Well...... fair point. But some nicknames/players/mascots/etc are so especially worthy of mocking that they draw a disproportionate share. And T-Magic, IMHO, falls in that category.

This is not to say that I care at all about who does or does not choose to mock our players. All I'm saying is that if a player on an opposing team chose to go by the name "T-Magic", I'd assume that player was probably somewhat of a tool. But since he's our guy, clearly he's awesome. :horns2:koolaid2:

Well...... fair point. But some nicknames/players/mascots/etc are worthy of mocking that they draw a disproportionate share. And T-Magic, IMHO, falls in that category.

This is not to say that I care at all about who does or does not choose to mock our players. All I'm saying is that if a player on an opposing team chose to go by the name "T-Magic", I'd assume that player was probably somewhat of a tool. But since he's our guy, clearly he's awesome. :horns2:koolaid2:

I hate to say it, but I agree.

T-Magic = Power Towel

During the game Saturday, Matt Millen kept commenting on the nickname "Taylor Swift" and at one point even said "that's an awesome nickname". You suck Matt Millen....you suck.

I too noticed these "awesome" nicknames. I wish he'd go back to broadcasting NFL games and stay away from college football. Or just jump off a cliff somewhere.