BCS possibility

tmfr15

You guys are still not saying what would happen. Here's some multiple guess options.

A) BCS adds to or subtracts from formula to "solve" the issue for future years.

B) Congress would intervene and demand a playoff

C) An SOS threshold would be established for inclusion in the BCS games.

D) Not a darn thing. Business as usual.

E) None of the above

F) Other

And, as for the question of...Why persist? Please. The BCS is almost complete guess work. How can anyone say that this scenario wouldn't happen. Almost every year, the BCS does something lame and we all facepalm and say WTF.

If Oklahoma beats Texas, and Oklahoma ends up undefeated going into the CCG and we go in undefeated, I think we would trump Oregon, but if we play Texas again, not going to be much interest or concern if we win.

We have to pray that Ohio State or Alabama stumble. I think it is pretty much set in stone if those guys win out they play. I see nothing changing that.

But best case scenario is for Boise/TCU to end up in the CCG. That would change the system and it would change fast. Big Boys setting at home undefeated not going over well at the University level.

Bama has a tough road to hoe, Ohio State not so much from looking at recent games in the Big 10.

Texas should be our only tough game, but we seem to have a hick up every year, who knows.

By the end of the year if Oklahoma gets by Texas they will be tough.

Oregon has some real hurdles, but I think Stanford and Oregon State will be their toughest. We will have a better idea after the Boise/OState game this week end.

Auburn/South Carolina has a lot of meaning and so does Bama/Arkansas. Two are most likely done this weekend

You have West Virgina and LSU also.

There are a lot of teams that are still in the hunt and most play tougher schedules than we do.

My guess is it will end up being Ohio State and Oregon being undefeated.

With a freshman QB and our past history, I think it is too much to ask for a undefeated season

But I think we will make a BCS bowl.

And, as for the question of...Why persist? Please. The BCS is almost complete guess work. How can anyone say that this scenario wouldn't happen. Almost every year, the BCS does something lame and we all facepalm and say WTF.

The BCS is a formula, not some magical what-if spell. You can look at who's rated where and determine what's going to happen by plugging in the numbers. Boise's SOS will preclude it from playing in the championship game in your scenario. It's science.

EDIT - here's a handy page to explain the BCS. Pack a lunch - it's a long read.

LINK

The BCS is a formula, not some magical what-if spell. You can look at who's rated where and determine what's going to happen by plugging in the numbers. Boise's SOS will preclude it from playing in the championship game in your scenario. It's science.

EDIT - here's a handy page to explain the BCS. Pack a lunch - it's a long read.

LINK

Automatic Qualification

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

Wonder if the above gets changed to add BYU? (sorry if this has been already hashed in a different topic)

As much as I hate to say this, I think that is exactly what is going to happen.

It is an unfair system for the smaller conferences.

No way in writing for them to accomplish the mission.

Unfair to basically be eliminated from the large payouts of the BCS.

I think it was mentioned last year by Utah.

I do agree thought that the Bosie's and TCU's have the easist path to the BCS games but no chance at the championship unless everyone loses and they win out.

If they can have a stipulation for Notre Dame, they may need to set up guidelines for the smaller powers.

I truly have no idea of how to make it fair, unless we have a playoff.

Didn't the BCS conferences just sign on to a 5 or 10 year extension? If so sit back it is not going anywhere fast. The shear amount of $ made out of this thing is unreal, and with the egos of the bowl system, people will be very reluctant to change to much. I think the best way to integrate the system is the +1, and still use the bcs set up to get there. Lots of money for the last two teams, and we get one more game to watch.

Also if Boise State keeps playing well, cant their conference become an AQ? I believe some kind of wins/loss ratio applies over the course of 3-5 years...

Didn't the BCS conferences just sign on to a 5 or 10 year extension? If so sit back it is not going anywhere fast. The shear amount of $ made out of this thing is unreal, and with the egos of the bowl system, people will be very reluctant to change to much. I think the best way to integrate the system is the +1, and still use the bcs set up to get there. Lots of money for the last two teams, and we get one more game to watch.

Also if Boise State keeps playing well, cant their conference become an AQ? I believe some kind of wins/loss ratio applies over the course of 3-5 years...

With whom did they sign this? The existing conferences? What do you think will happen when those conferences no longer exist?

Automatic Qualification

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

Wonder if the above gets changed to add BYU? (sorry if this has been already hashed in a different topic)

I doubt it. There are other independents. Right now I think it's just Army and Navy but there have been others in the past during the BCS years, I think. No provision for them. ND is "special". Besides, didn't BYU change their mind about leaving? I can't remember how that turned out.