Rob Long votes Nebraska 13 in AP Poll

irafreak

i think he is clueless about college football and wonder how he finds the door to get out of his house. and i think he's a hater

i love smg more than joey

I think that Rob is a hater as well

@GBR I love SMG more than a fat man loves cake or more then Ndamukong suh loves to sack/throw colt mccoy LOL!

Pretty sure he was our low ranker after the Washington game as well. So he's only looking for things to validate his low opinion of us. He sees we blow out Washington at Washington? They suck. We beat SDSU 17-3 at home? Suddenly we're Maryland. Screw him. He can have his opinion, and I'll continue to disagree with it, including his ranking of Nebraska and his assertion that he's not clueless about college football.

So here are the teams he ranked above us....Hmmmm...he says he thinks we'll win the Conference....but that means we'd have to beat Oklahoma because Texas can't according to his theory so it'll be OU in the title game...but they're above us so we can't beat them but we will according to him. I'm confused.

Alabama

Ohio State

Oregon

Boise State

Florida

TCU

Auburn

Wisconsin

USC

Oklahoma

Arizona

Stanford

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. But polls at this point of the season are virtually meaningless. Nebraska's still ranked 6th in both polls even with this guy. If they do their thing and keep winning, it'll be fine.

Great comment. The polls are more of a early season reason to watch certain football games then anything. Honestly I do question where Nebraska is ranked, but I also question where almost every other undefeated team is. Everything will take shape as the season progresses.

The BCS Poll coming out after at least some games getting played is about the only thing the BCS does right. Don't start ranking teams until they get a decent number of games under them.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=2752

Few snippets:

Rob Long: From what I've seen of the Huskers -- and I know what they did last week had everybody up in arms -- it's typical of a fan base. You get a little glimmer of hope and justifies where you think you should be (ranked). To me, this week validates everything. Playing against South Dakota State at home in a 17-3 game … that's the equivalent of Maryland beating Towson 17-3 at home; that should never happen.

While I think Nebraska is a favorite to win the Big 12 … I think this is a bad year for the conference. I've been saying all year that the Big 12 was going to suffer an ugly loss, maybe two, and Texas losing to UCLA was one of them. Overall, this is a flawed year for the Big 12, and I don't think right now there are any top-10 teams in the Big 12. \

This is what I do. Let's say all teams are undefeated. I don't look at it like, 'Nebraska started sixth and they're undefeated, you can't drop them down.' Yes I can. I look at all the undefeated teams top to bottom. … Last week, Alabama was at the top of that food chain. I think they can beat all the undefeated teams that are there. I think Ohio State could beat all the undefeated teams except Alabama, and so on. … To me, Nebraska can't beat any of the undefeated teams that are above them. Why rank them above TCU when I think TCU can beat them?

If you ask me who I think will win the Big 12, I'll say Nebraska. But I don't think they'll go about it undefeated.

I've gotten plenty of e-mails, and most Husker fans think either I'm clueless or I'm a Nebraska hater. I'm clueless about a lot of things; college football is not one of them.

So what do you think? Is it true? Can Nebraska really NOT beat any of the teams above them? :LOLtartar

To say that we cannot beat any undefeated team above us is not reasonable. We "could" beat any of them --- except OSU and Alabama.... and maybe Florida and Oregon. The rest, like Oklahoma, TCU, Boise State, etc... I'd think we'd have nearly as good a chance to win as not win (and perhaps a 50/50 shot). His point is over stated --- but as a general reality has merit --- NU is not really a MNC threat this year. For any of us to view this team as a true MNC caliber team is just way too much a kool-aid driven wish and not connected to any objective analysis.

Are we a top 5 team? No way. Are we a #6-#10 type team? maybe... but if so, we have not yet done anything to validat such a ranking. Are we a #11- 15 type team. I'd think so... and, maybe if we improve over the season we can be a legitimate #6-10 team.

But to think this team has any legitimate shot at a MNC is just silly. we are not a top-tier team (if top tier is defined as a team that has a legitimate shot at the MNC --- in a typical year there may be 3-5 teams taht occupy that tier). If we improve a great deal --- and we may --- we could be in the next tier --- or if we do not improve that much occupy the third tier.

Now realize that 3rd or 2nd tier is so much better than where we have been the past decade --- which was entirely off the map. So, NU fans like the whole lot of us should be ecstatic --- at least now national pundits talk about us --- for a decade now that was not even the case. Huge progress has been made under Bo... but not the magnitude that many who post here think.

This guys # 13 is not unreasonable... a little low, I'd think. In any event, we likely are closer to 13 in reality than we are to #1.

If nothing else, Rob Long is a Big 12 hater. Though the B12 might not be quite as strong as it has in recent years, you can't discount the talent, the coaches and the competitiveness of these teams when comparing to other conferences. To say the B12 has no teams worthy of the top 10 is just ridiculous.

I really don't have a problem with what Long is saying. Most of it is true...

I do believe we could beat teams he ranked above us....mainly Bosie State, TCU, Auburn, Wisconsin, USC, Arizona, and Oklahoma.

The reason I don't get all bent out of shape is that all the teams listed above have played better competition than Nebraska.

Do I think we are better than some of these teams? Yes. But until we prove it against KSU and Texas, I won't have a huge problem with articles like Longs.