New Plays/Formations vs B12 Competition

ESPY

This is not meant to be a Watson bashing reply but based on his track record I am not expecting anything more out of this offense then what we have already seen.

More or less, this is what I think as well.

I think the "opening up the playbook" concept is extremely overrated. We know how we're going to win football games this year: run the football and minimize mistakes in the passing game. That's going to be our formula and we have to execute it to perfection.

At the end of the day, it comes down to execution no matter what play you are running or what formations you are using.

This is not meant to be a Watson bashing reply but based on his track record I am not expecting anything more out of this offense then what we have already seen.

I think the "opening up the playbook" concept is extremely overrated. We know how we're going to win football games this year: run the football and minimize mistakes in the passing game. That's going to be our formula and we have to execute it to perfection.

At the end of the day, it comes down to execution no matter what play you are running or what formations you are using.

Sure, and execution comes from recruiting and developing the players to succeed with your scheme.

I can see them running the option and play action pass more often. We haven't seen a lot of that. I only remember 2 option plays so far (but there were probably more). They tried the option quite a bit with Lee last year and it was terrible, but Martinez was good at it on the 2 plays I recall.

I can see them running the option and play action pass more often. We haven't seen a lot of that. I only remember 2 option plays so far (but there were probably more). They tried the option quite a bit with Lee last year and it was terrible, but Martinez was good at it on the 2 plays I recall.

Good point! The option is a terrific way to deal with stacked boxes.

You're right again that we tried that lots of times with Lee last year (uuugh..) so maybe we'll dial it up vs KSU. Sounds like a good scheme to me.

You're right again that we tried that lots of times with Lee last year (uuugh..) so maybe we'll dial it up vs KSU. Sounds like a good scheme to me.

I can see a little more of this. And the option pass.

Hopefully we can keep stuff bottled up until we need it.

It's been stressed over and over again since we beat SDSU last week - the real season starts now. With our non-conference games out of the way, it's time to focus on the meat of our schedule and see what we're really made of vs Big 12 foes.

Naturally that got me thinking about what we'll see from our offense. Obviously the zone read is our bread 'n butter with Martinez at the helm, and there's no doubt opponents are gonna have a hard enough time slowing that down. But, what else will we see from Watson to make this offense even more dynamic and dangerous?

We've seen one attempt at the wildcat formation so far this season, and it failed miserably when Paul coughed it up vs Idaho. Even so, we definitely had some success when Rex ran it, and I'm thinking we'll at least see that much in a couple B12 games.

One thing we haven't seen yet (and may never see, though it's been talked about before) is Green and Martinez in on the same play. What are the chances of that happening? What other aces do we have up our sleeve now that conference play has arrived?

Both sides of the ball have been holding out on us.

Sure, and execution comes from recruiting and developing the players to succeed with your scheme.

:blink:

Are you saying Watson doesn't do a good job of that? I'm not saying one way or the other, I'm just a little confused by your response more or less.

Are you saying Watson doesn't do a good job of that? I'm not saying one way or the other, I'm just a little confused by your response more or less.

Yeah, that's what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion my friend.

I've got to stop dissing the guy. I want to win SO BAD I just simply "must" believe SW is capable of making the right moves to get it done. Right this moment....I've changed my mind. He's a Husker and I'm on his side. After all, maybe I've just had it all backwards and it's Barney that's been slowing him down. Far better to have a marginal Oline coach than the OC.

Once again I apologize for the stupid post, Enhance89.

I can see a little more of this. And the option pass.

Hopefully we can keep stuff bottled up until we need it.

Looks like we're on the same page about the option...

I can't remember if we've done this yet, but we did it a whole bunch last year (unsuccessfully) with Lee. Something called the power option formation. We've seen just a couple times that Martinez is fantastic at drawing in the DE and putting a great pitch in the hands of his RB, so what's to say we don't try that from the good ol' I-formation? If our O-line continues to stay healthy and blocks as well as they have, I'm thinking this would work wonders along with the zone read.

Yeah, that's what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion my friend.

I've got to stop dissing the guy. I want to win SO BAD I just simply "must" believe SW is capable of making the right moves to get it done. Right this moment....I've changed my mind. He's a Husker and I'm on his side. After all, maybe I've just had it all backwards and it's Barney that's been slowing him down. Far better to have a marginal Oline coach than the OC.

Once again I apologize for the stupid post, Enhance89.

I didn't think your post was stupid I just thought you had perhaps replied to the wrong person is all lol. Thanks for clarifying, though.

I have mixed feelings about Watson, similar to what you have. He can obviously get it done at times, and then there are other times where it's extremely confusing why the team struggles so much offensively. I just wish I could feel the same way about the offense that I do the defense.

If Watson has a successful season this year and maybe next, it's very possible he is gone from Nebraska. So, for people who aren't fans of Watson, the best they can hope for is a couple of successful season and he gets hired some place else as an HC.

I think we'll see the vertical passing-game, a couple new packages, and some adjustments to the loaded-box and shooting the gaps as needed. We are just now hitting the meat of the schedule. I'm not expecting a radical departure from what we've been doing but we'll mix-it-up more.