Arnold Schwarzenegger changes marijuana law

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill into law in California reducing the charge for possession of marijuana. Possession for up to one ounce of marijuana will be changed from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction.

According to CBS, "The new law does not change the penalties for possession. Currently, carrying up to an ounce of marijuana is punishable by a fine of up to $100; no jail time or probation can be ordered."

arnold-pot.jpg

• Fire 1

About time all fifty states grew up. I'm not a drug user, but you don't need to be a brain surgeon to see what a futile waste trying to 'combat' marijuana is.

We were just talking about this tonite at our local watering hole. And yes, what a waste of resources to chase done marijuana users. Legalize it and tax it.

• Fire 2

See, repulicans know how to party.

It's about time at least one state got around to putting this on the ballot, and not as some fraudelent panacea for all that ills you but for what if is a recreational drug for adults just like alcohol, nicotine or caffine. Hopefully this will lead to the same action in other states soon.

• 4 weeks later...

"Medical" Herb was on the ballot here in AZ..Still too close to call which side won.

I suspect the drug cartels are the ones backing the side that wants to keep it illegal (And put them out of buisness).

Amazing how "refer madness" films in the '50's are still making a nation tremble.

Prop 19 fails. I'm kinna suprised by that one. On the other hand. the aforementioned drug cartels should be able to continue to provide many living wage jobs.

This is a perfect example of how government intrusion into the private sector screws the common man. The pot heads don't want it legal because taxes and gov't intrusion will make the prices higher and lessen the quality of pot.

This should be a lesson to those who think that Obamacare will some how solve the medical/insurance situation in the US.

Prop 19 fails. I'm kinna suprised by that one. On the other hand. the aforementioned drug cartels should be able to continue to provide many living wage jobs.

This is a perfect example of how government intrusion into the private sector screws the common man. The pot heads don't want it legal because taxes and gov't intrusion will make the prices higher and lessen the quality of pot.

This should be a lesson to those who think that Obamacare will some how solve the medical/insurance situation in the US.

Then again, if health insurance could cover "medical" mj then maybe big pharma will get this passed. After all even the mexican drug cartels can't out spend Merck Med.

• 2 weeks later...