Lee Speaks

Huskerwrkhavok stop being such a debbie downer or w/e it is that people say.

A debbie downer? How? God forbid that I'm not drinking everything saying we are going to win every game. I have every right to my opinion that you have to yours. What did i say that isn't true? That Taylor is a great runner? That he may not be the QB next year? (after all, every position is an open competition) That he can't throw the ball downfield? And still, I never said we would lose a game. I never said that we were going to get run over. So how am I being a debbie downer?

idk man maybe I can get you some of that T-Magic Koolaid

it is amazing how many people on here read parts or bits of posts but not the whole thing.

I know who Ahman, Lawrence, etc. are.

If you would read the whole damned post you would see that I also added that those teams had lines that rank up there with the best lines in history

they didn't have to throw the ball. We don't have that type of line. Our running game isnt close to those teams therefore we are going to have to tthrow the ball.

stop spinning things to make your points

to compare those lines to ours, and those QB to ours now is laughable at best

A debbie downer? How? God forbid that I'm not drinking everything saying we are going to win every game. I have every right to my opinion that you have to yours. What did i say that isn't true? That Taylor is a great runner? That he may not be the QB next year? (after all, every position is an open competition) That he can't throw the ball downfield? And still, I never said we would lose a game. I never said that we were going to get run over. So how am I being a debbie downer?

He's right.

He's right.

Well I guess he wasn't being a debbie downer maybe a lil pesamistic. I guess we have alot of koolaid drinkers and alot of water drinkers. You dont have to drink the red koolaid if you dont want to but, I find it mighty tasty

Isn't this a Nebraska forum? Is there a fan base in America whose fans should care less about having to pass to win? We won three MNC's in the past 15 years with teams that could barely throw a forward pass. Knocking Martinez because he can't pass is like knocking Osborne because he wasn't Chinese. It's irrelevant to winning football games.

It is something isn't it? 10,000 posts worrying if Tmart can throw the "long ball".

lol!

Like Crouch, Frazier, Frost, etc ever could.....all they did was "win".

YOU make some excellent points but unfortunately they don"t apply to this year and this team the guys you mention didn"t have to throw the ball because they had the best lines college football could offer

also bama probably isn"t worried about fluffy offenses but they would worry about the "fluffy" offense a whole lot more than our run first run middle and run last offense.

Good passers don't throw the balls that Tmart has thrown.

those of you that believe we can win every game without an effective passing game are well foolish.

I too am not opposed to Tmart starting but I must agree that Lee being 3rd is more than a talent issue.

I talk daily with people that attend practice regularly. they say the same Tmart can really run but he can't throw it

And you're foolish if you think that we could have any passing game whatsoever without an effective running game. We could have Peyton Manning in the backfield, but if we can't run the ball, our offense isn't going to move the ball an inch.

The whole offensive transformation is just the process of Nebraska coming back around to what Nebraska is and has been, what works for us. That's being physical, running the ball, and playing great defense. That's what won us national championships, and by the way, it's what won Florida and Alabama national championships the last few years too.

have you heard of the names Helu and Burkhead? We have Running Backs (get the meaning of that word) to run the ball and they happen to be pretty damned good. don't need a QB to run to have a good running game

You're right! I mean, Helu and Burkhead were dominant last year. It was like they could do whatever they wanted against Texas... oh wait...

it is amazing how many people on here read parts or bits of posts but not the whole thing.

I know who Ahman, Lawrence, etc. are.

If you would read the whole damned post you would see that I also added that those teams had lines that rank up there with the best lines in history

they didn't have to throw the ball. We don't have that type of line. Our running game isnt close to those teams therefore we are going to have to tthrow the ball.

stop spinning things to make your points

to compare those lines to ours, and those QB to ours now is laughable at best

1. I don't know why it's laughable to compare the 90's QB's to Martinez. Premature, yes, but not laughable. He's that kind of player, more than Lee is. I'm not sure he's even as polished a passer as Frazier/Frost/Crouch, and he's certainly not to Gill/Berringer level, but it's also too early to tell any of that with Martinez, in my opinion. We've still barely seen him play.

2. The 90's teams DID have to throw the ball, but only enough to keep defenses honest. Defenses started creeping up, and Frazier had to be able to hit a completely wide open tight end on a playaction pass. If Taylor can't do that, we might be in trouble, but one bad game isn't going to convince me that he can't throw. Even great, polished passers have bad games, and even Taylor's worst game at this point wasn't as bad as recent games played by Colt McCoy, Landry Jones and Jake Locker, three relatively big-time passers.

3. I'm not sure how good our running game is just yet... The offensive line definitely isn't at mid-90's level, but it might be reasonably close to 2001 level. When you compare our offense to those (which put up quite a few points with a running game), we have just as explosive of a runner at QB, better running backs (Helu/Burkhead vs. Dahrran Diedrick) less experienced TE's, and comparable receiver corps.

He's right.

Well I guess he wasn't being a debbie downer maybe a lil pesamistic. I guess we have alot of koolaid drinkers and alot of water drinkers. You dont have to drink the red koolaid if you dont want to but, I find it mighty tasty

If that's what it is, then that's what it is. Just trying to temper my own expectations a bit also. After all, we have a freshman QB, there are going to be hiccups along the way. I just hope when it comes down to it, he can sit back and throw the ball if we need it, ie down by 6 with 1 minute left. We shall see.

It's very probable Green is #2 to help keep him from transfering..but with that said, who else do we have next year behind TM?

Jamal Turner and possibly Bubba Starling are our two prime incoming recruits. We have Brion Carnes on the team, redshirting. Even if Starling plays baseball instead of coming to DONU and it's just Carnes and Turner, that's still a pretty darned good set of backup QBs, aside from Green.

anyone else hear that Zac Lee moved to number 2 on the depth chart?

Since Bo doesn't really release depth charts, no, I hadn't heard. Interesting though.....

Could we see a set in this game with Lee and TM in the game at the same time?

I'm interested to see what we do as we get into this conference season. Watson hasn't done ANYTHING fancy this year, to date. They showed flashes of the playbook in Seattle, but quickly shut it back down when they realized they could run 4 different plays on them and score 60.

I'm excited for conference play, I don't think teams will have a clue as to what to prepare for.

It's all about being "multiple" right????

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

Travis-You are misguided. Taylor is putting up the best stats for a freshman QB, not just in the Big 12 but in all of college football. Did you ever watch ZL run a zone read left or an option left? A loss of 2 yards or more ever time. Did you ever see ZL throw interceptions to Texas after 2 straight interceptions, not a play or two later, on the very next play. Taylor is the best QB for NU right now and it has nothing to do with stubborness.

Bo makes a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!!!

Bo knows that if we move the chains, chew some clock and score 21 points, we win nearly ever game we play. When you have a QB that can't stretch the field and you settle for 4 FG's against Texas and 5 FG's against VT and only 7 points against Iowa St, you lose 3 games. If the O scored 21 points against those 3 teams last year, NU wins 13 games and is ranked in the top 5 last year. Think about it, 13-1 last year and a victory on Jan 1st in a BCS bowl if we have a QB like Taylor. If Taylor ran this team last year, we would've won more games than 10.

If Bo like the fact the Taylor beat his top rated defense, then maybe he thinks Taylor is the best QB for the job, PERIOD!!!

That is of course assuming all of our offensive woes last year were Lee's fault which isn't the case although many here like to think it so. And your 21 point, stretch the field theory is a wonderful idea, but Martinez as your hero only works up to last week against SDSU - a high caliber opponent much like VT and Texas - where the Huskers didn't score 21 points, relied on field goals to guarantee the win, where Martinez threw a couple interceptions, put quite a few balls in the dirt (both passing and fumbling) and Martinez didn't really run all that well (compared to past performances.) I have yet to see Martinez "stretch" the field with his passing ability and based on what I've seen so far I'm not so sure that he can. He's a home run threat on the ground, but a well rounded quarterback capable of beating teams both on the ground and through the air? Not so much.

Putting up high numbers and beating 3 or 4 not so good teams at the beginning of the year does not a season make and also doesn't do a thing to prove or disprove how good the Huskers could or would have been if Martinez was quarterback last year (see the 2009 season as evidence for judging how the first 4 games of a season can be used to effectively predict offensive performance against Big XII opponents). In contrast to your supposition above, I say that with Martinez as quarterback last year the Huskers actually lose a couple games they won with Lee at the helm while not necessarily prevailing over VT or Texas.

As far as Bo being paid "a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!" so were Weiss and Callahan and a myriad of other not so great college coaches. I'm not saying Bo is a Weiss or a Callahan (I think he's off the charts better) but being paid a lot of money to do something doesn't always mean you're great or even good at what you do, it just means you're paid a lot to do it.

Please watch the tape from the KSU game and tell me again, how this team loses 4 games with a true freshman running that offense compared to Lee. NU would've been 13-1 with Taylor last year.

He's right.

If that's what it is, then that's what it is. Just trying to temper my own expectations a bit also. After all, we have a freshman QB, there are going to be hiccups along the way. I just hope when it comes down to it, he can sit back and throw the ball if we need it, ie down by 6 with 1 minute left. We shall see.

Well, were playing the big boys now and this freshman qb led offense is 10,000 TIMES better than last year's inept trainwreck. Just keep saying Lee should be the starter. Maybe you'll actually get somebody to believe you.

lol!

:corndance