Coaches didn't want Lee to have surgery?

Listened to the McKewon segment from Schick and Nick and they were referring to rumors that the coaches didn't want Lee to have the surgery because they didn't want him to miss spring ball. They questioned his toughness and when he decided to have the surgery, he pretty much signed up for Bo's doghouse for the remainder of his career. Although it doesn't make Bo look all that great, this rumor wouldn't surprise me. Based on the fact that Green is suddenly the definitive #2 despite the fact that he hasn't looked very good in my eyes. And Lee getting all of 4-5 snaps on the season despite a couple of blowouts.

Do you think the coaches (or maybe just Bo) were frustrated enough about Lee having the surgery that they pretty much made it impossible for him to really get back in the race? I hadn't seen this talked about before tonight, although I don't keep up well with the rumor board.

I don't see frustration at all.

I'd imagine that this was all laid out last winter, and that Lee was told of the possible repercussions of missing spring practice.

Not that I am an insider, but I do closely follow most of the team news. And all I have ever heard is that expectations are always up front. And the likely expectations with Lee missing spring practice were that he would be far enough behind the other quarterbacks, where there was a good chance he would lose his starting position.

In this scenario, Lee knew the possible consequences and chose (rightly I believe), to have his shoulder repaired and miss spring ball. And in doing so, lost the starter job. There isn't animosity when players step up, learns the offense, practices, and then develops in such a way that they surpass the starter.

But the truth is Lee should have had his surgery early last season before the problem even progressed to a point that more major surgery would have been required. Yes, missing spring practice was not good, but whose fault was it that Lee was in a situation where he needed surgery? Certainly not his.

What was the recovery time? Could he have had the surgery after spring ball and still been ready for fall?

I'm not sure what the sense in doing throwing drills with a torn tendon is though.

there's the rub...

dont take this for anything more than its worth, as a message board post...

but what i heard recently was that the elbow was overall fine. that the tear was more of a strain. and that the surgery was preventative more than than anything, because something bad could come from it, possibly.

NU Doctors didn't think it required surgery, so he went to a doctor in Cali that thought he needed surgery. When the doctor got into the surgery, it was worse than they thought, so it was a bit more in depth than expected. The team doctors thought Zac should need 10-12 weeks of rehab, but should have been able to go through Spring drills. The Lee family and the Cali doctor wanted him to sit through Spring.

As a result Zac sat through spring ball and didn't back full strength until late July or so.

Even with that, Zac had a very good camp. Zac performed well enough to be the starter, no question about it. If we were running our offensive scheme from any of the past 6 years (2004-2009) Zac Lee would hands down be the starter. But Bo wanted this type of offense from the day he was hired, and he felt that Taylor was ready to take the reigns a year ahead of what Watson expected. I'm pretty certain that if it was 100% Watson's choice, we would have started Cody or Zac and used Taylor for special packages. But Taylor was very unhappy with that idea, and got more chances to prove himself and did exactly that.