Crouch, Frazier, Gill, Frost

Bradr

I'm no old guard by any means, but I don't ever remember seeing us rip off those kind of long runs as a % of our overall production. Not saying that our O isn't good, but to me, it seems like our O is dependent on long plays for its production.

And with that in mind, if a team limits our big plays, it limits our scores. Kind of like Bo's D, in designing an offense that he doesn't want to play against, he has designed the perfect blue print of a defense to counter our O.

I'm a few deep, but does this make sense to anyone else?

Me too. hskrpwr.gif

I'm no old guard by any means, but I don't ever remember seeing us rip off those kind of long runs as a % of our overall production. Not saying that our O isn't good, but to me, it seems like our O is dependent on long plays for its production.

And with that in mind, if a team limits our big plays, it limits our scores. Kind of like Bo's D, in designing an offense that he doesn't want to play against, he has designed the perfect blue print of a defense to counter our O.

Me too. hskrpwr.gif

You did better than me - I was out cold by 12:30. But I'll but I'm up this morning before you!

He set the Freshman Total Offense record for a game not the overall record. His total last night is tied with Jammal Lord for #11 All Time (528 Joey Ganz K-State in 2007). He has set the Freshman record for Total Offense in a season as well with 1397 yards. Calvin Jones had 6 TD’s against KU in 1991 (Freshman Record) and Ganz had 7 passing in that game versus K-State so Martinez didn’t set any records that way either. His 4 Rushing TD’s tied the NU single game record for a Quarterback but his TD total isn’t any other kind of record.

The last time I saw this kind of long-distance scoring over and over was 1983. Maybe that means nothing, but it's the nearest comparator I can think of.

Yeah the 84-13 win over Minnesota in 1983 comes to mind. I believe our time of possession in that game was just over 13 minutes.

Not even close. We had the ball for an outrageous 22:35. That's nearly four points every minute we held the ball. Amazing.

Thanks. I was too tired to do my own fact checking last night. Plus my memory isn't what it used to be. <Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!!>

I know it's early. And that I'm no Kool-Aid drinker. But Eric Crouch never ran this well. Tommy Frazier never ran this well. Nor Frost or Gill or Lord. And for all the questions about T-Mart's arm, he's already passing as good or better than all of them save Gill.

Frazier may have been able to break five tacklers, but Martinez isn't letting them get close enough to touch. Crouch had some nice juke moves, but Martinez merely has to weave. He's making Freshman mistakes but quickly shaking them off.

This is pretty amazing stuff.

In related news.....Zac Lee should be the #2 QB. Even in mop up duty, Cody Green is an accident waiting to happen. With the O-line firing and Helu and Burkhead healthy, Zac Lee can simply hand the ball off while making the occasional accurate pass to keep the running game a threat. The Huskers are running a similar scheme to what they ran against Arizona, where Zac Lee got a healthy 5 or 6 yards on the designed keepers, wheras Martinez manages to squeeze an extra 50 yards out of the play.

I know it's early. And that I'm no Kool-Aid drinker. But Eric Crouch never ran this well. Tommy Frazier never ran this well. Nor Frost or Gill or Lord. And for all the questions about T-Mart's arm, he's already passing as good or better than all of them save Gill.

Frazier may have been able to break five tacklers, but Martinez isn't letting them get close enough to touch. Crouch had some nice juke moves, but Martinez merely has to weave. He's making Freshman mistakes but quickly shaking them off.

This is pretty amazing stuff.

In related news.....Zac Lee should be the #2 QB. Even in mop up duty, Cody Green is an accident waiting to happen. With the O-line firing and Helu and Burkhead healthy, Zac Lee can simply hand the ball off while making the occasional accurate pass to keep the running game a threat. The Huskers are running a similar scheme to what they ran against Arizona, where Zac Lee got a healthy 5 or 6 yards on the designed keepers, wheras Martinez manages to squeeze an extra 50 yards out of the play.

Sounds on the money to me. Gill was easily the best passer of those rocket ships. Frazier/Frost/Gill couldn't hold Tmart's jock running the ball and that's saying a LOT. Crouch is close running but for passing Tmart's already past him. You bet.....downright amazing.

I haven't given up on Green yet....he's a load running the ball but a turnover machine. Lee would be much safer to be sure.

He set the Freshman Total Offense record for a game not the overall record. His total last night is tied with Jammal Lord for #11 All Time (528 Joey Ganz K-State in 2007). He has set the Freshman record for Total Offense in a season as well with 1397 yards. Calvin Jones had 6 TD’s against KU in 1991 (Freshman Record) and Ganz had 7 passing in that game versus K-State so Martinez didn’t set any records that way either. His 4 Rushing TD’s tied the NU single game record for a Quarterback but his TD total isn’t any other kind of record.

Ganz' 528 yards and seven touchdowns will never be broken.

With great running QBs like Gill, Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Lord and Taylor, I can't hardly believe that the record is only 241 yards. We played against some really weak K-State opponents in the past two decades.

Maybe part of the reason is that we were blowing those guys out back in the day so badly that Frazier, Gill, et al were riding the pine by halftime and getting only one token series in the second half.

That's one reason, and another big one is that we didn't do the zone read with most of those guys, did we even do it with Crouch and Lord? With the old style option it seemed like usually the play was to make the pitch, but with the zone read, the QB tends to keep it a lot more.

And I don't think we are dependent on the long TD, it's just what we are getting a lot of. You can't tell a good to go OB 20 yards downfield because you want to control the ball. The first drive showed we can march the ball down the field. It also helps that we are getting great downfield blocking by guys like Paul. It's not just talk, he really is good at it. And Helu put a guy up on casters and wheeled him out of the way last night on a Martinez TD.

Sounds on the money to me. Gill was easily the best passer of those rocket ships. Frazier/Frost/Gill couldn't hold Tmart's jock running the ball and that's saying a LOT. Crouch is close running but for passing Tmart's already past him. You bet.....downright amazing.

Crouch had power that I haven't seen Martinez demonstrate yet . . . but so far, Martinez hasn't had to go through anybody because they look up and he's already past them. Whether he can lower his shoulder and charge headlong into a defender the way Crouch or (forgive me) Tim Tebow might remains to be seen.

And Crouch, Frost, and Frazier had some pretty darn good arms, lest we forget. :)

Crouch had power that I haven't seen Martinez demonstrate yet . . . but so far, Martinez hasn't had to go through anybody because they look up and he's already past them. Whether he can lower his shoulder and charge headlong into a defender the way Crouch or (forgive me) Tim Tebow might remains to be seen.

And Crouch, Frost, and Frazier had some pretty darn good arms, lest we forget. :)

yeah but you dont need to have power if nobody can catch you :laughpound

As far as running over defenders kind of power, I would agree (Scott Frost wins this one by a landslide), but the kid is tough. Remember that third and long QB draw play where he got stood up by a D-tackle and just kept backpedaling with him? It usually takes some solid hits to bring him down.

You mentioned the same guys as the SportsCenter guys did (plus Frost). But what about Lord? He was the one whose record Martinez broke.

1. T-Mart 241

2. Lord 234

3. Lord 218

4. Frazier 199

Lord is a forgotten soldier. That guy was amazing. If he had the surrounding cast any of our other QB's of the TO era had, he would have been remembered as one of the greats. I have a brother in law that is an ISU fan and still gives me a hard time about Lord. All I can do is facepalm it.....

I still get a hard time for wearing my #10 Lord jersy proudly.... Lord was awesome, and the jersey's were awesome. Get over it haters.

I think we tend to forget that they actually had bad arms. Frazier not so much, but Frost had a terrible throwing motion and rarely hit a receiver in stride and Crouch had a very small comfort zone for passes he could complete. I think Martinez already has more completions across the middle than Crouch ever did.

Crouch, Frost & Frazier were all great leaders - the most important qb quality - but not great passers, which is why the NFL never came calling.

Crouch had a little more shiftiness to him. Although the 80 yard run against washington the way he broke the arm tackle sure looked like Eric. I also thought Frost was pretty accurate. He did get coached by Bill Walsh at Stanford right? He just had that shotput throw so when he missed it was into the turf.