Concerns about the team

74Hunter

Lets not also forget that all of the defensive lines that we have faced thus far have been undersized. KSU averaged 260 lbs across the D line. I would EXPECT us to blow them off the line and create gaping holes.

UT is bigger,faster and more agressive than anything we have played. Trust Muschamp to try and confuse our line with stunts and run blitzes. :bonesflag:

I know that there have been numerous threads about fans' concerns about the rush D, turnovers, coaching, etc. I have one conern about the offense. It doesn't seem like the O has been able to sustain many long scoring drives (8+ plays). Also, it seems like when we don't score quickly, a ball is put on the turf, or we commit a bonehead penalty, and the drive stalls.

Against a good D like tu has, we will need to have long, sustained scoring drives, because I fear that we won't have 5 or 6 40+ yard scoring plays.

Just my .02. Does anyone else share my concern.

I can't remember where (I'll look for it) but there is some stat site made by some math guys that actually lists average yards per play as one of the most important indicators of success. It's not necessarily a bad thing although I see your point, but what it means for Texas is that they will have to play assignment football and execute every single play, something that isn't likely to happen on every down. If they don't, we have the ability to break off an 80 yard run. This is a huge weapon.

Furthermore, we haven't really needed to drive it. If Martinez is getting 15, 20 yard runs instead of 80, that's still a first down. He might not outrun their secondary every time, but he might not have to. If we get good field position because of our defense and we can get a few big runs and drive the field, Henery can score at the very least.

Was it statfox.com?

YPP

Nebraska ranked #4 6.4 yards per play

Texas ranked #14 5.9 yards per play

The only thing I'm concerned with right now is the amount of fumbles we've had as a team. It's ridiculous and shouldn't be happening. Any decent team is going to get 50% or more of those fumbles. :bang

Agreed.

You can get away with a couple against the teams we've played, but against Texas, Okie Light, Mizzou, A&M, ect... it could really bite us in the butt.

Clean up the fumble problem and I don't see us losing to anyone in the country.

I have a feeling Texas is going to be throwing blitzes at us all day in hopes that they can break martinez under the pressure. If Texas blitzes they have the athletes to actually catch martinez. I mean, according do the bone heads on talk radio down their, they have 20 guys on the team who run 4.4 40's

I hope the entire offense isn't the zone read. I bet SW has something up sleeve- why show it against Kansas State, SDSU, and the rest?

I have a feeling Texas is going to be throwing blitzes at us all day in hopes that they can break martinez under the pressure. If Texas blitzes they have the athletes to actually catch martinez. I mean, according do the bone heads on talk radio down their, they have 20 guys on the team who run 4.4 40's

I hope the entire offense isn't the zone read. I bet SW has something up sleeve- why show it against Kansas State, SDSU, and the rest?

I hope you're right that Bo and SW have something up their sleeve. Because Tejas will be the best defense we’ve faced this year. By far. Very impressive D-line. UT has the best pair of D-ends in the B12 in Sam Acho and Eddie Jones. And Kheeston Randall is a solid DT. UT gives only up about 100 yds per game rushing. As for passing, the Whorns pass defense is in the top 10 in the nation. Almost as good as ours.

I just don’t think T-Magic is going to be breaking off multiple 50+ yd runs against these guys like we did against the Kitties. Saturday could be a low scoring affair. I'm just glad it's a home game.