Thank you Zach Lee

^ Hehe, thanks :)

Watching the replay now. What I'm liking out of Lee is that he is creating good plays, which aren't necessarily seen in the statistics. There's credit to be given for just making the offense go, which is a sign of doing all the little things right, mentally, and not getting destroyed. When Martinez gets to this level, watch the heck out. Lee had a really nice ball fake, too, and keyed Burkhead for a 12-yard run. Made a good read again later, and Helu had a 6-yard run up the gut. Mechanically, the long bomb to Paul was a thing of beauty. I think that was PI there, but who knows, Paul could have just stumbled at the end. Another excellent deep throw to Paul, right on the money in the tightest coverage possible. The first 15-yard flag was legit, the second one feels a little cheap, it was just a celebration call. He even showed his quick feet (again guys, Lee is no slouch athletically, at all). There were really quite a few plays that were so close to breaking it there, Lee's almost broken-tackle on a good zone read keeper, the two deep balls, that dumpoff to Paul where he got hit as he threw...penalties or not, it was a good, sustained, movin' drive.

Now the negatives, there's the height (first pass batted down), the bad play (that screen to Paul), and the seemingly pointless timeout. He looked agitated out there after the no-PI call, not sure why. Bo looked absolutely pissed at him, screaming at him on the sidelines.

Honestly I have a lot of faith in Lee and I can see now why the reception was so positive, after the ugly statline. I would be very comfortable in a 2-QB system here, more so than with patiently bringing along Taylor still. I think it's clear that Zac has some abilities that this offense, this year, could utilize. With Taylor out there, our offense is running handcuffed. Handcuffed, but with a jetpack. Find a creative way to get them both in the game, and we could have the best of both worlds. Screw the controversy of the 2QB dynamic. As strange as the way "QB" has been handled this year, it doesn't really matter.

I'm actually surprised by the statline, how mediocre it was. He was making all the right reads and gaining yards on most every run, but he definitely looked very rusty. I would point to the TO , the batted down pass, and the fumbled snap (on third down! Can't have that, Zac) as big indicators. Additionally, there was that busted screen pass to Paul, and a rather hesitant checkdown to Burkhead that was a very high, sharp pass. Not sure I know what I'm talking about anymore, but I really did like the overall look of the offense. More so than the Big Play offense.

^ Hehe, thanks :)

Watching the replay now. What I'm liking out of Lee is that he is creating good plays, which aren't necessarily seen in the statistics. There's credit to be given for just making the offense go, which is a sign of doing all the little things right, mentally, and not getting destroyed. When Martinez gets to this level, watch the heck out. Lee had a really nice ball fake, too, and keyed Burkhead for a 12-yard run. Made a good read again later, and Helu had a 6-yard run up the gut. Mechanically, the long bomb to Paul was a thing of beauty. I think that was PI there, but who knows, Paul could have just stumbled at the end. Another excellent deep throw to Paul, right on the money in the tightest coverage possible. The first 15-yard flag was legit, the second one feels a little cheap, it was just a celebration call. He even showed his quick feet (again guys, Lee is no slouch athletically, at all). There were really quite a few plays that were so close to breaking it there, Lee's almost broken-tackle on a good zone read keeper, the two deep balls, that dumpoff to Paul where he got hit as he threw...penalties or not, it was a good, sustained, movin' drive.

Now the negatives, there's the height (first pass batted down), the bad play (that screen to Paul), and the seemingly pointless timeout. He looked agitated out there after the no-PI call, not sure why. Bo looked absolutely pissed at him, screaming at him on the sidelines.

Honestly I have a lot of faith in Lee and I can see now why the reception was so positive, after the ugly statline. I would be very comfortable in a 2-QB system here, more so than with patiently bringing along Taylor still. I think it's clear that Zac has some abilities that this offense, this year, could utilize. With Taylor out there, our offense is running handcuffed. Handcuffed, but with a jetpack. Find a creative way to get them both in the game, and we could have the best of both worlds. Screw the controversy of the 2QB dynamic. As strange as the way "QB" has been handled this year, it doesn't really matter.

I'm actually surprised by the statline, how mediocre it was. He was making all the right reads and gaining yards on most every run, but he definitely looked very rusty. I would point to the TO , the batted down pass, and the fumbled snap (on third down! Can't have that, Zac) as big indicators. Additionally, there was that busted screen pass to Paul, and a rather hesitant checkdown to Burkhead that was a very high, sharp pass. Not sure I know what I'm talking about anymore, but I really did like the overall look of the offense. More so than the Big Play offense.

In my opinion Taylor should be having a Tebow-like role moving forward. Lee was even running the zone-read better than Taylor towards the end. You can throw out the stat lines. They mean squat in this situation. Lee was only brought in when the damage had been done. He was forced to push the ball downfield multiple times and nobody is going to look like Peyton Manning throwing low percentage balls all night.

I don't think Taylor can pass worth squat anyway. He rarely leads his receiver. Even his big play throws are usually off. And I really question his ability to read a defense. Before the season began a lot of people were saying that when we take our lumps with this QB we had better be ready to ride it out. I didn't realize how far in the hole we were. I don't think he's ready for this part of the schedule.

I though Zac brought some calmness to the situation. I think his passing threat opened up the run game some. Say what you want, he threw 2 td passes to the open receiver on the plays. He is a trooper. Bottom line is the play calling stunk. On the 2nd qtr f.g. drive we opened up and threw the ball around a bit and moved on down. We had success getting north and south between the tackles but never stuck with it. I think Watson got a little too worried about the damn heisman hype.

Zac Lee only did what he was asked to do. Texas had a good game plan and executed it no matter who was at QB. But to use this post to prop up your favorite QB to make another look bad is poor to say the least. No one pissed down their leg. Our WR dropped passes from Martinez just as adequately as they did with Lee. Both got crushed in the Zone Read. The only difference was Zac got crushed with one less defender in the box. So don't try to make Zac a hero and Martinez a villain when both were placed in a no win situation.

Lee and Martinez both played fairly well. The Texas D did everything right and took away our primary weapons. Had the receivers/Burkhead caught some balls, the zone read would likely have opened up for Martinez. We never hurt them deep and they stayed in the box to stop the running game. Pretty simple.

Lee did a good job. He made seemingly good reads but the problem is that he doesn't do much even when he makes the correct read and the Texas D knew that. It's like a turtle escaping from the zoo... Not much to worry about and not very productive. I thought Martinez threw the ball well for the most part and that our receiver group was absolutely the limiting factor in the passing game.

Overall very disappointing. I think these guys wanted it too much and played tight, leading to the dropped balls. Not much we can do about it now, NEXT!

Can someone explain to me why we have played Green so much and hardly played Lee at all early in the year? I think the coaches have done a terrible job in that aspect of our QB situation. It makes no sense to have a huge emphasize on giving the 3rd string QB a ton of snaps while giving the 2nd string QB next to none.

This summer (offseason) Taylor needs to get better as in passing skills and rushing skills. Nebraska #1 priority this summer is to recruit wide receivers since Niles will be headed to the pros.

If paul makes it to the pros its gonna be as the teams laundry boy, or to show NFL teams wide recievers how not to F**K a game up.

Can someone explain to me why we have played Green so much and hardly played Lee at all early in the year? I think the coaches have done a terrible job in that aspect of our QB situation. It makes no sense to have a huge emphasize on giving the 3rd string QB a ton of snaps while giving the 2nd string QB next to none.

Here's my uneducated guess...

When Green has played it was during games where we had a pretty decent lead or at least we had the game under control. Green will be here next year. Lee will not. During those games I'm guessing the coaches wanted Green to get some playing time because most likely he'll remain the #2 QB. However, yesterday there was no way Green could have played. Remember, he fumbles just as much as Paul. Putting Lee in yesterday made sense in that he has far more game experience than Green.

That's my uneducated "guess"timate

Zac did not make all the right reads either.. when every pass is the deep ball to pall, that's not exactly being creative..

on the endzone pass to pall that everyone was screaming PI for, Kyler Reed was WIDE open down the middle of the field.

Martinez was fine passing the ball today and he played well enough to beat Texas.

Here's a guy who has seen less than 20 snaps or so this entire year, has been the 3rd string quarterback, coming in the third quarter of a 20-6 deficit in the biggest game of the season so far. Of course he's going to show some rust and not be perfect. He made some other poor decisions as well, but not every pass is the deep ball, and NO quarterback throws it to the best option on every play. Because they have to make reads, and they have limited time to go through those progressions in the pocket. We were in a 2-score hole, did you honestly expect a couple of throws that weren't deep? And not every pass was the deep ball to Paul, there were screens and check-downs. 1, to Burkhead that went for good yardage, and 1 or 2 to Paul that he just missed.

Just so Taylor's fans are not offended, he has electric ability and outstanding potential. However, there are aspects of his game that he needs to improve significantly. These aspects are not things you can "take your lumps" for in a season and improve. These are things that you could only work on in a redshirt year or an offseason. So as far as becoming a more complete QB, that work is going to have to come in the offseason. It's either a Tebow-like role, or keeping the handcuffs on in the offense and living with poor reads and poor command of the offense. Is the occasional big run worth it? I don't think so.

Here's my uneducated guess...

When Green has played it was during games where we had a pretty decent lead or at least we had the game under control. Green will be here next year. Lee will not. During those games I'm guessing the coaches wanted Green to get some playing time because most likely he'll remain the #2 QB. However, yesterday there was no way Green could have played. Remember, he fumbles just as much as Paul. Putting Lee in yesterday made sense in that he has far more game experience than Green.

That's my uneducated "guess"timate

Yeah I understand that but you still need to give your #2 guy reps. If they split the reps between Green and Lee both players would have gotten a fair amount of playing time. You can't expect your back-up to be ready when he's only played two short series all year.