Decision to Bench Taylor

I'll raise this issue again: why was Martinez not allowed to play under the same adjustment in the zone read that Lee was? When Lee got in there they started blocking the player they previously allowed to run free.

i thought it was because they stopped with the spies and played the pass, opening up the run.

I'll raise this issue again: why was Martinez not allowed to play under the same adjustment in the zone read that Lee was? When Lee got in there they started blocking the player they previously allowed to run free.

No they didn't - if what they ran was a zone read, then that player was unblocked because that player is the "read." Blocking him would make it some other play - a quarterback keeper or running back dive/power - which as far as I could tell was not the case. The zone read Martinez ran was the zone read Lee ran, Lee was just making the right read.

No they didn't - if what they ran was a zone read, then that player was unblocked because that player is the "read." Blocking him would make it some other play - a quarterback keeper or running back dive/power - which as far as I could tell was not the case. The zone read Martinez ran was the zone read Lee ran, Lee was just making the right read.

Maybe it was just me but texas tried to stop the run way more when martinez was in than when lee was in. Also, texas had to be expecting the pass because we were down 2 tds and leave it up to watson to take 5 to 6 minutes off the clock by running those zone reads that "lee was just making the right read" on, and settling for a field goal. If you guys want the offense of last year then let's start lee, but I would rather lose two more games with martinez as my quarterback than with lee.

Maybe it was just me but texas tried to stop the run way more when martinez was in than when lee was in. Also, texas had to be expecting the pass because we were down 2 tds and leave it up to watson to take 5 to 6 minutes off the clock by running those zone reads that "lee was just making the right read" on, and settling for a field goal. If you guys want the offense of last year then let's start lee, but I would rather lose two more games with martinez as my quarterback than with lee.

Texas may have been defending the pass more than the run at that point, although we seemed to still have plenty of receivers open when we did pass - not that they were able to catch them. As far as Watson running a bunch of time off the clock "running" versus passing, virtually 2 out of every 3 passes we attempted were dropped by our receivers or otherwise incomplete. I suppose Watson could have gotten pass happy and just started throwing a bunch anyway, but all that would likely have happened is that we would be complaining how he left the run (which we would now conveniently remember as having been working).

As far as "the offense of last year," I'm not really seeing where this years "Martinez led" offense is performing any better against decent teams than last years "Lee led" offense did. As far as Lee over Martinez or Martinez over Lee, I don't care who starts as long as we put points on the board and win. In my opinion, we have enough weapons on offense this year that we don't "need" Martinez to win games; it's sure nice to have him (and he's exciting to watch when he's doing well), but I don't recall any games we've won this year based on his performance alone. What we do "need" is for Martinez to continue to grow and become a better overall quarterback - whether that's as the starter or as the back-up getting quality reps - his physical game is pretty much already there, it's his mental game as a quarterback that needs maturing.

As far as losing two more game with Martinez juxtaposed I assume by winning those same games with Lee (that is what you're suggesting right?) I'll take the wins this season and look forward to an improved Martinez next year.

Just like Martinez being in will lead to some insanely open receivers downfield at times, Lee being in will lead to less selling out to stop the run. It's all tradeoffs. I don't see where Watson wasted clock. We had 17 points to cover in 15+10 minutes if I'm not mistaken, and that's hardly time to start running hurry up, especially when we are trying to bring in a rusty QB that hasn't seen playing time for a long time, thanks to Cody Green getting those snaps instead. (Oh Bo...)

But Lee did go in and was asked to take shots downfield, which he did. I don't see where Watson settled on a field goal. We really gunned it towards the end zone multiple times with Lee.

Just like Martinez being in will lead to some insanely open receivers downfield at times, Lee being in will lead to less selling out to stop the run. It's all tradeoffs. I don't see where Watson wasted clock. We had 17 points to cover in 15+10 minutes if I'm not mistaken, and that's hardly time to start running hurry up, especially when we are trying to bring in a rusty QB that hasn't seen playing time for a long time, thanks to Cody Green getting those snaps instead. (Oh Bo...)

But Lee did go in and was asked to take shots downfield, which he did. I don't see where Watson settled on a field goal. We really gunned it towards the end zone multiple times with Lee.

Right. Playcalling wasn't really an issue with either QB. Players were in position to make plays and win the game. They just didn't.

I completely disagree with that decision. I watched the game again today and it was clear that Texas had built it's game plan around taking away Martinez in the run game, they committed 1-2 guys to him every play. I was also impressed with Taylor's passing though he did throw one ball behind the receiver, everyone of his passes were catchable. You put Lee in there you take away the run threat. I think they should have opened up the passing game with Martinez, he was throwing well the against that fast Texas defense, the receivers just needed to make some plays. If nothing is open take off and run with it (some of the few successful runs he had were on pass plays) you do that a couple more times something big opens up over the top.

Also now the coaches have shown that they don't have the confidence in Martinez to bring them back from behind, now he has to worry about getting yanked out of the game any time the Offense shows signs of struggle.

And what would have happened if when Lee was in the game and the receivers actually caught the ball and won the game. Now all of the sudden Lee would have been the savior of the team when he really didn't do anything that Martinez wasn't doing. Nebraska has built its Offense around Martinez's abilities, Lee just isn't going to have the same affect that Martinez had in the in the earlier games. So do they revert back to the more conservative Offense like last year's, I don't think anybody wants to see that crap again. Martinez is our most dynamic player and our best chance to win ball games. I just think putting Lee in was a lose lose situation.

I was afraid that we wouldn't find a singular thing to blame for this loss! This is a relief! :)

But really, I don't think it was a bad call to yank him, but the bad call was not putting him back in after he had a couple of minutes to cool his jets, heels, or whatever someone needs to cool in a situation like that. Maybe the coaches thought Lee looked productive and decided not to put Martinez back in? Who knows. But nothing was getting done one way, Lee got in a rhythm, though ultimately not any better... I have to think that the choice to leave him in for the duration was an ad hoc decision.

Good or bad? Hmm... I certainly don't think that one half out of several starts is going to stunt his development that much... not compared to the BC years where we NEVER saw younger players in. It was what it was.

...I watched the game again today ... And what would have happened if when Lee was in the game and the receivers actually caught the ball and won the game. ...

1. I don't know how you managed to watch it twice.

2. Good point, it would have sucked big time if we won the game with Lee in. Glad we lost now that I think about it in those terms. :sarcasm

I'm sorry. 20-3 is a 3 score game, my friend and that's when Lee entered the game. Check the archives. They NEARLY ended in TDs? One drive was mostly penalty yards, the other ended the same way Taylor's NEARLY ended in TDs.....a dropped pass by a WR. Lee led a drive that ended in 3 pts. Martinez led a drive that ended in 3 points. Eric Haag scored 6.

Coachspeak? I've seen the offense when all 3 QBs are in the game. I don't see any difference in the philosophy.

Zac Lee is not a good runner. WHEN has Zac Lee EVER been good at the zone read? I watched last season. Did you?

You're obviously a Lee apologist, so I know I'm not going to convince you of anything.

My bad, you're correct, it was a 3 score game.

If you can't see how we had a different attack with Lee in the game, or Green in the game compared to Martinez, I don't know what to say. Martinez can't run everything the other guys can. He compensates with his feet. Whether that compensation is enough is the big question.

I did not say Zac Lee was a good runner. You said he was slow, and I called you out on it. Zac is fast. Not as fast as Taylor, but he's not lumbering. Zac has been good at making the right reads in the zone read, including last season. See the Arizona game.

I am just dealing with a reality where Martinez isn't a savior, and Zac Lee doesn't suck, because neither of those (or their opposites) are the truth.

Despite the free yards in penalties, Lee did move the ball down the field. Yes it only ended 3 pts, BUT it took almost 3 quarters to get 3 points with Martinez running the show. Im not saying Martinez is a terrible QB, but I think starting as a redshirt freshman in this offense is a mistake. I could give 2 craps how many yards per game or rush he has, he faced a good defense and got stuffed big time. All those other teams had terrible defenses, personally i wouldve surprised to see Martinez run loose against Texas.

Ive said this from the start of fall camp. Start Lee, let Martinez come in a get some snaps, whether its at running back, wide receiver, or quarterback.

Tell me exactly what Zac Lee does differently in the 1st half that gets us more points?

Well he got positive yards everytime he ran the zone read. It may have been 3-4 yards, but thats about 5 yards more than Taylor was getting. 2nd and 6, is a huge difference than 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 12.

Lee: 10 attempts for 28 yards 2.8 ypc

Martinez: 13 attempts for 39 yards 3.0 ypc

I think you forgot include yards lost.... Martinez 13-21 Lee 10-25. This just further proves my point. Regardless Lee did that in 1 quarter, Martinez did that in 3 quarters.

Ummm...no. What I forgot was that Lee got 25 yds, not 28. Those rushing numbers are NET. They include yards lost. I think everyone is trying to say that Lee was more efficient as a runner. That's not the case.

Lee was also 4-9 for 14 yds as a passer, vs 4-12 for Martinez for 63 yds.

So, Lee got 19 plays in which he threw or ran the ball, for 39 yds. Martinez got 25 plays for 102. So the workload was similar, and Martinez was more productive. I didn't see Lee's 'Senior moxie' translating into any more production than TMart's 'deer in the headlights'

Totally agree. The only difference was that Lee's decision making was a little faster and Texas could care less if Lee ran the ball. No threat. Martinez is not so fast that he could throw the ball and then run under it himself and catch it too. The receivers may be great at down field blocking, but please, someone get them ready to do a complete game.

The thing that bugs me about his benching was he was making "most" of the throws. There were 4 dropped passes that were right on the money and if caught - were game changers. Yes - he was bottled up in the run game, yes we were losing, but this loss was on the team not making the plays, not Martinez.

The biggest issue I had was bringing in Lee took Martinez's play making abilities out of the picture. If he wasn't making the passes, ok, but he made most (not all). Putting in Lee seemed desperate to me.

Two thoughts come to mind:

1. Sometimes, the problem isn't necessarily the quarterback, but a coach will replace him to shake up the team a bit and get them to focus.

2. Somewhat related to the first, it was clear that Texas had committed its defense to our offense when piloted by Taylor. Bringing in Lee was a changeup that they probably hoped would throw the defense off a bit, or would make it change to more a pass-defense mode, making the running game a bit more viable.

The fault wasn't just a single player; it was the team as a whole.

• Fire 1