Whats up with the D-line?

I think the issue is more scheme than anything. We pretty much play a basic 4-3 (sort of). With only having 4 down linemen and rarely blitzing, it leaves the running game wide open (see OK State). Also, I think another thing that hinders us is that we don't disguise much of anything in the way of coverage or blitzing, what you get is what you see with our D. The problem with having only 4 linemen and no blitzing is that the offense has 5 OL, a possible TE and a possible FB/HB to help block on pass plays or run plays. I personally think we need to mix it up a little more. If we are going to leave our corners out on islands, we have to get pressure on the QB or we're going to get beat more often in not in the passing game. Cornerback is easily the hardest position to play in football in my opinion because you have no idea where the ball is going, who's going to throw it or where the WR is going to run.

Suh is gone. :dunno

Don't forget Asante, Dillard, and O'Hanlon to graduation as well as injuries to Fisher and Compton (still not back 100%). Our defense also tends to start slow. I have a feeling we will have a good defensive showing on Saturday.

I get this feeling too, mostly because of how well we played in the 2nd half vs OSU. Had we kept giving up all those yards and points in the 2nd half, then I'd say our D's confidence would be wavering quite a bit, which would spell disaster vs Mizzou. But, that's not the case. The Blackshirts stepped up in a big way against arguably the best offense in the conference, so there's no reason they shouldn't hit the ground running against the Tigers.

Don't forget Asante, Dillard, and O'Hanlon to graduation as well as injuries to Fisher and Compton (still not back 100%). Our defense also tends to start slow. I have a feeling we will have a good defensive showing on Saturday.

I get this feeling too, mostly because of how well we played in the 2nd half vs OSU. Had we kept giving up all those yards and points in the 2nd half, then I'd say our D's confidence would be wavering quite a bit, which would spell disaster vs Mizzou. But, that's not the case. The Blackshirts stepped up in a big way against arguably the best offense in the conference, so there's no reason they shouldn't hit the ground running against the Tigers.

OSU's offense >>>>> MU's offense and our D is WAY better suited to defend MU's D than OSU's.

i just hope we see a more physical defense on saturday. last year the thing that really stuck out to me was how by the end of the year we were really beating the crap out of people. that meanness seems to have disappeared, and imo it is due not only to Suh physical performance, but also to his and dillards leadership

OSU's offense >>>>> MU's offense and our D is WAY better suited to defend MU's D than OSU's.

I would say that OSU has a better big play offense. I am not certain after watching the OU game that our D will be any better against the tiggers than it was in the poor performance at osu Gabbert is very accurate and I have no reason to believe we can pressure him without bringing five or six. That would leave five targets mostly one on one for a quick throw and good chance for yac. If we go with four DL and drop seven, I fear that the receivers will have hours to come open, or a rb will pop the middle for 10 yards. A gambling blitzing D is I believe our best shot, but not without peril. I fear we will have to win another shootout against a somewhat better, not great defense.

After watching saturday's game again, i dont really see our d-line getting pushed around. I agree with the one who said that we're playing to our strengths. Dline in a 2 gapper to contain and gobble up the olineman allowing our backers and backs to roam free to make tackles. These guys are usually in position most of the time to do so but the problem lately has been missed tackles. Our guys make good tackles saturday and ok st. has MAYBE 400 yards and probably only 21-24 points. Another thing about saturday that Bo pointed out that i thought was interesting is on the two long passes in the first half that supposedly scorched prince was that on the flea flicker, it was not prince's play, he was under and was supposed to have center help, so he passed the rec. on to the safety, who bit on the fake. big play. On the jump ball, i dint notice till i watched again, but prince was interfered with, blackmon gave him a nudge as Prince was locating the ball, taking him off his feet. Honestly the dline could be better, but i think theyre doing what theyre asked to for the most part. Guys just have to make tackles. Just rushing 4 and staying in their lanes forces the qb to have to throw the ball. This plays into our hands with 7 awesome cover guys matching up to 4-5 receivers. we got out of our lanes a couple times against texas and gilbert picked up big yards.

Players make big plays in big games. That's exactly what our Dline has to do. Not one, but all of our Dlinemen, need to step up in a big way vs Mizzou. Suh and Crick wreaked havoc in Columbia last year, making life a living hell for Gabbert and really forcing his hand and causing multiple turnovers. We must find a way to do that again this Saturday. We've forced one turnover the last 2 games, which is a massive dropoff from what we did earlier in the season. Somehow we gotta force turnovers, and IMO that starts up front in the trenches.

Browsing around some other sites, I came across Vegas Insider. They seem to think that the Husker defense seems to be tiring out. Their taking Mizzo based on the spread. Still think we win this one myself, and cover. But does anyone think that the l/b and d/b's are being asked to do to much? I would like to see more pressure on the q/b also, but we seem to still be able step up and make a stop when needed, till last week. Okie St was the only time so far, that I thought we did seem a little tired, in the 4th quarter. Seem to let up a little with that 17 pt lead. That last Okl St touchdown was like a gift. IMO

GBR!!!

If we get no pressure and no turnovers, we get no win. Gabbert is just plain better than Weeden. If he stands back there in the pocket all day long, he'll simply pick us apart. As great as our secondary is, they can't contain forever. After watching the OU/Mizzou game, I'm the most concerned about Mizzou's running game. They seemed to open huge holes in the OU DL. The runners didn't even seem to get touched until they were a good eight yards or so beyond the line of scrimmage. I would like to believe we could win in a shootout, but Mizzou's D is just better than Okie States. We're going to have to play like we did against Washington and KState to win this game.

Some Nebraska fans hit the panic button over everything...One week it's the offense the next week it's the defense. We are 6-1, not to shabby if you ask me. I think this team shows a lot of heart and character. When the D plays bad the O steps up and vise versa. Am I waiting impatiently for both sides to explode?....HELL YEAH!!

Not being the most talented team on the field but still fighting together and playing for the N on the side of thier helmet is going to have to do for now. Our D-line is fine and Bo will find away to fill the gaps if needed.

I almost think we should try a 3-3-5 against Missouri. Not scrapping the whole system but just a different formation with similar concepts. The DL absolutely couldn't get off blocks in the run game against OSU. So we had them running it straight at us, all four lineman being held in place and our LBs being forced to either make brilliant plays or Hunter getting to the next level like nothing.

A pass rush with the DL will not happen against Mizzou because their whole offense is about getting the ball off quickly, plus we don't really have a passrusher save a few flashes from Meredith. Why not put 3 down lineman and let Compton, David and Hagg (or Martin with Hagg at SS) fly around to fill gaps? At least then we have a chance of confusing an o-lineman and slipping someone into the backfield to tackle the RB.

I'm not saying this will magically shut down their offense, but I think it gives us hope of making some plays that we aren't making with the "Let's Sit in Our Base Nickel/Dime/Peso and Pretend We Still Have Suh" defense. Because if we get into a shootout and allow 500 yards and/or 40 points to Mizzou, we'll lose and probably by a lot. Unlike the Pokes, they actually play a little defense.

We actually run a 3-3-5 type formation quite often. If you want to see an example look at the 3rd down play on OSU's first drive. 3 down lineman with Hagg/David/Meredith lined up as backers.

For a good read about it and other defense we run: http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2010/07/nebraska-pressure-spinner.html