Nice OWH Article on Watson

HUSKERCR

Big week for Shawn Watson.

His Husker offense has made significant strides in 2010, thanks to a new quarterback and a new scheme. Nebraska is lighting up scoreboards like old times.

But there’s a caveat — a reason we shouldn’t banish the ghosts of 2009 quite yet.

The Huskers have faced only one strong defense, Texas — and that day ended with Taylor Martinez on the bench and without an offensive touchdown.

Missouri comes to Lincoln with the fifth-ranked scoring defense in the country. And Watson’s track record against good defenses is shaky.

I've been a bit worried about this. Good article from Chatelain.

Regardless of whether we win this weekend or win the rest of our games unless Watson completely changes his playcalling style personally I'd still like to see someone else as our offensive coordinator. I think we need to make a change. Has little to do with this year either. If you ask me he alone has cost NU some games. Games we could have and should have won. That's enough for me. Sorry to be negative but it's just my honest opinion. :hmmph

If the Huskers struggle Saturday — if the offense again stymies hopes for a Big 12 title — then Watson’s progress and direction deserve scrutiny.

Couldn't agree more. Historically Chatelain has been critical of Watson, and rightfully so. This article provides even more telling evidence that Watson still has a lot to prove as our OC. 3-6 with only 10 offensive TDs against teams with top 50 defenses just doesn't cut it. How can we expect to be a national title contender now or in the near future if our offense continues to struggle so mightily by the best defenses?

He hasn't cost the team any loses this year yet. He probably may have in prior years. Looks like he has a q/b that he can do some things different with, that he didn't last year. Lets give him a chance, before we all bury him. He is probably just as surprised as everyone else at how quick Martinez adjusted to being the starter. I'm sure there are still some things he is kicking around, on what he might try with his talented Q/B. JMO

GBR!!!

i just do not know what makes people who are calling for watson's head think we can find a better coordinator. first, i like watson and have confidence in him. second, i do not see any reason to believe we could get a better one. great offense coordinators, that can win through coaching and schemes alone, are few and far between. i think watson is doing a fine job with the talent he has gotten. offensive coordinator is the easiest position to criticize, but calling an actual college football game is not like picking plays in ncaa '11.

If Watson's gameplan and playcalling was so horrid against Texas, then I'd like someone to explain to me why Burkhead, Paul, Kinnie, etc. didn't have defenders within ten yards of them when they dropped all those passes. I will explain some very poor gameplanning and playcalling. When we played OU a few years back with Clownahan calling the shots, we faced the #1 rush defense in the country while their pass defense was suspect. What was his gameplan? Run the ball up the gut 90+ percent of the time and never stretch the field with a pass. Another great Clownahan gameplan and playcalling would have to be the Texas Tech game in 04'. I guess after you've had 4 balls picked the playcalling should always include throwing up more lameducks to see just how many Texas Tech could retrieve before they got tired.

If Watson's gameplan and playcalling was so horrid against Texas, then I'd like someone to explain to me why Burkhead, Paul, Kinnie, etc. didn't have defenders within ten yards of them when they dropped all those passes. I will explain some very poor gameplanning and playcalling. When we played OU a few years back with Clownahan calling the shots, we faced the #1 rush defense in the country while their pass defense was suspect. What was his gameplan? Run the ball up the gut 90+ percent of the time and never stretch the field with a pass. Another great Clownahan gameplan and playcalling would have to be the Texas Tech game in 04'. I guess after you've had 4 balls picked the playcalling should always include throwing up more lameducks to see just how many Texas Tech could retrieve before they got tired.

i agree, and i will go as far to defend watson's game calling last year. in our loss to va. tech, we moved the ball well, the players just could not execute in the endzone. in the ttu loss, the whole team just played flat (maybe their fat little girlfriends distracted them). in the isu game, we moved the ball extremely well, except someone told the huskers to pretend that the endzone was actually lava, so they were so scared to step on it, the would rather fumble the ball away.

edit: and for the texas loss last year, i am pretty sure bo told watson to only use a page and a half of his playbook and allow the defense to win the game.

also, the offense was fraught with injuries the whole season. for pete's sake, hickman retired rather than continue to play in the nfl. how badly beaten up do you have to be to hang up the cleats. for the answer, do not ask favre (or pevre, as i like to call him).

I don't think anyone is calling for Watson's head. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the guy's track record like Chatelain is doing here. Sure, it appears Watson finally has a QB he can build his system around for an extended period of time. And yes, that QB is a frosh who will experience growing pains. But, the fact remains that Watson has had trouble against solid defenses. The point of this article is that this trend needs to change, and up to this point he hasn't done a great job proving he can buck that trend...at least not on a consistent basis. And consistent production is exactly what we need. Even with the great defense we have, we have a to have an offense that can consistently put points on the board by executing turnover-free, penalty-free performances, and that kind of execution is a reflection of the offensive coaching staff, which just so happens to be led by Watson.

I don't think anyone is calling for Watson's head. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the guy's track record like Chatelain is doing here. Sure, it appears Watson finally has a QB he can build his system around for an extended period of time. And yes, that QB is a frosh who will experience growing pains. But, the fact remains that Watson has had trouble against solid defenses. The point of this article is that this trend needs to change, and up to this point he hasn't done a great job proving he can buck that trend.

agreed. just trying to keep it in perspective.

I've read a few little quotes from Watson this week that make me feel pretty good actually. I think he is excited that he was able to cut loose the training wheels last week, when the team needed the offense to step up and not only did his players step up, they freaking THRIVED! I have a great feeling about this week and I think Watson and NU will have an offensive gameplan that will have MU wondering what the hell hit them, by halftime.

But, as I stated in my other thread, Watson can have the best gameplan in the world, one that the 1985 Bears couldn't stop, but if the players don't execute, it's pointless, which we saw a few weeks ago against UT. I don't lay ALL the UT game at the feet of the players though, the coaches, university, fans, media, etc, built that game up WAY TOO MUCH and the players played tight and the coaches coached tight. Watson called an okay gameplan, one that was enough to win and win handily if executed by the players. BUT, he was never comfortable calling the plays and the players were never comfortable running them.

I have a feeling Watson is going to be VERY proud of himself and his guys on Saturday afternoon, when he's confident that his players will execute, he feels good about letting loose HIS offense, which can be VERY dangerous.

I've read a few little quotes from Watson this week that make me feel pretty good actually. I think he is excited that he was able to cut loose the training wheels last week, when the team needed the offense to step up and not only did his players step up, they freaking THRIVED! I have a great feeling about this week and I think Watson and NU will have an offensive gameplan that will have MU wondering what the hell hit them, by halftime.

I have a feeling Watson is going to be VERY proud of himself and his guys on Saturday afternoon, when he's confident that his players will execute, he feels good about letting loose HIS offense, which can be VERY dangerous.

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Seems like Watson has a new, rejuvenated confidence in this offense since the OSU game. Maybe that confidence is just the ticket for this offense to come out and play consistently well from here on out. Saturday can't get here quick enough!

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Seems like Watson has a new, rejuvenated confidence in this offense since the OSU game. Maybe that confidence is just the ticket for this offense to come out and play consistently well from here on out. Saturday can't get here quick enough!

Yup. I sound like a broken record, but seriously, EXECUTE and they will win this game!

Firstoff no one's denying the dropped passes killed us against Texas. We would have at least tied if not won the game had we converted those into catches. Do you really think the Texas game should have boiled down to a few dropped TD passes? Did you see the Iowa State-Texas game? UCLA????

For me this has nothing to do with just one game. Not even close. It goes well beyond that. 2009 was ugly to watch and IMO it shouldn't have been nearly as bad as it was for NU on offense. (99th nationally) We had the talent but IMO had an offensive coordinator who I feel held us back and who also didn't come close to getting the most out of the players he had on offense. Again just my opinion here.

My opinion of the 2009 offense was that it reflected having a broken offensive line. Frazier would have failed last year in his prime playing behind last year's offensive line. We spotted Texas 10 points. They shut our running game down. We went to the pass, but none of our receivers wanted to catch it. The last I read, we're averaging 3.8 fumbles per game. I'm not sure how this falls on the OC. I'm neither a Watson lover nor hater, but he has seemed to play the hand that's been dealt him. Last year he had a broken offensive line, and a QB with a bumb arm. I don't see anyone calling for any defensive coaches heads even though our rush defense isn't ranked a lot better than last year's offense was ranked.