The helmet-to-helmet backlash has already arrived on campus

GSG

Great picture in that article. Clearly shows it wasn't a dirty hit. Just a big hit.

That picture is from the wrong game. Can't believe the big deal that is being made about the hit. Kid playing hard trying to make a play to help his team get excited and win the game. Okie light player needs to pay attention and his $hit won't get rocked.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-880420761-1288226576.jpg?ymRsl_DDpCfXUR2U

Great picture in that article. Clearly shows it wasn't a dirty hit. Just a big hit.

I didn't get the priviledge of watching the game because we were picking corn. From the picture, it looks completely legal to me. First, you can see Martin's facemask is forward meaning he didn't lead with the top of his head (spearing). Second, it appears as though his feet are still on the ground meaning he didn't maliciously dive at an unsuspecting player. Third, it appears from the photo that first contact was actually made with his shoulder pads rather than his helmet.

That is the pic that went along with the Yahoo article linked at the top of this page. Yahoo either used a stock photo or made a mistake, since that is NOT the play that earned Martin his suspension.

The guy getting hit by Martin in the photo is not even wearing an orange uniform! That's a SDSU player...It's not the same hit.

I find it interesting...cough cough...that Mike Gundy has no problem with the hit...the player on the receiving end of the hit has no problem with it...bob stoops questions the suspension....the oklahoma papers question the suspension but boy the KC media is applauding the excellent job by dan beebe...i'm really glad missouri is going to be in the rear view mirror now. Too bad they'll always be jealous babies even while we're in the big10.

Anyone remember that nice leetle hit Pillen had on OU's Phelps back in the grainy color picture days? The one where the kick returner (phelps?) was so knocked out that when he fumbled the ball, I 1st thought it was his head..And the refs somehow ruled him down before the fumble. At about

of that video I have linked below the penguins on my sig.

One of my favourite hits.

That being said, the research I've seen so far seems to indicate that much more damage occurs at the line of scrimmage where the big uglies butt heads on pretty much every play..(It's not so much the BIG hits, but rather the repetitive small ones that cause the gaping holes in the brain that make the coroner think you did way too much meth, or worked with hazardous chemicals like me).

I've watched this video enough times to realize the innitial hit by Martin did very little damage compaired to the rebound effect that the okie-light guy hitting the ground with the back of his helmet did..I'd pay to see an MRI of the brain-bruise that inevitably showed up on the back of his head.

The wearing of nerf helmets or using only your shoulder or pinkies to throw down your opponent will not eliminate the drainbamage caused by your brain colliding with the inside of your cranium.

Edit

BTW..That part in the same video at 5:29 where Bo points to his chin and hollars at the players in the locker room about putting your helmet "right there"..Is that still ok?

Edited by HUSKER 37

I'm sorry, but those of you saying different angles make it look like he is leading with his helmet, are really kind of naive on tackling.

Ever tried tackling with your shoulder with your head up? You would break your freaking neck.

Your head has to be down and yes different angles will LOOK like he is leading with his helmet. When in reality he is tackling with his shoulde

Fundamental tackling!

Anyone remember that nice leetle hit Pillen had on OU's Phelps back in the grainy color picture days? The one where the kick returner (phelps?) was so knocked out that when he fumbled the ball, I 1st thought it was his head..And the refs somehow ruled him down before the fumble. At about

of that video I have linked below the penguins on my sig.

One of my favourite hits.

That being said, the research I've seen so far seems to indicate that much more damage occurs at the line of scrimmage where the big uglies butt heads on pretty much every play..(It's not so much the BIG hits, but rather the repetitive small ones that cause the gaping holes in the brain that make the coroner think you did way too much meth, or worked with hazardous chemicals like me).

I've watched this video enough times to realize the innitial hit by Martin did very little damage compaired to the rebound effect that the okie-light guy hitting the ground with the back of his helmet did..I'd pay to see an MRI of the brain-bruise that inevitably showed up on the back of his head.

The wearing of nerf helmets or using only your shoulder or pinkies to throw down your opponent will not eliminate the drainbamage caused by your brain colliding with the inside of your cranium.

Edit

BTW..That part in the same video at 5:29 where Bo points to his chin and hollars at the players in the locker room about putting your helmet "right there"..Is that still ok?

Absolutely. It's why car accidents are so bad even at low speeds. The strain of our muscles and bones attempting to hold everything in place while we are rattled around. Bottom line: it's part of the game. I still don't like Martin (like Asante last season) standing over guys and yelling or making a big deal out of it but I also think UFC is over-the-top but that's just me. When the purpose of a sport comes down to hurting people that's too much for me. I enjoy football's toughness and all of that but like wrestling you're not trying to injure only trying to be the superior athlete. Tangent.