Chances of Making National Championship

I think our MNC chances are none and none. Way too much has to happen and we have to play PERFECT football from here on out, something this team has not shown the ability to do.

Realistic expectations for this team are a Conference Championship, a BCS win, and a top five finish. If we achieve that this year, I'll be more than pleased.

I agree with you knapp. If we could accomplish those things this season, I'd be thrilled! Those were the goals for this season, we are probably a year or two away from being a NC caliber team. I would love to win the Big XII this season and the Big 10 next. I don't think any other team could claim something like that, don't know for sure?

Well it's a long shot, but here's what we need:

All assuming Oregon wins out.. which they will. Also assuming Nebraska wins out of course.

MUST HAPPEN:

1. Auburn needs to lose to Alabama AND maybe Georgia too (they could also lose in their conference championship game if they made it)

2. LSU needs to lose @ Arkansas in the last week of the season or in conference championship game if they made it.

3. Ohio St. needs to lose to Iowa or Michigan.

4. Alabama needs to lose to LSU/Mississippi St (probs not happening, but could lose in conference champ game if they made it)

MIGHT NEED TO HAPPEN:

5. Wisconsin needs to lose to Purdue/Indiana/Michigan/Northwestern (we could maybe jump them if they don't lose)

6. Utah needs to lose to San Diego St/BYU/Notre Dame (probably jump them even if they win out tho)

7. TCU needs to lose to Utah/San Diego St (probably jump them even if they win out)

8. Boise needs to lose (probably jump them even if they don't)

9. Stanford has to lose a game (only chances are Oregon St and Arizona) but we could jump them anyways

So 4 MUST HAPPEN scenarios and maybe more.

I'm not so sure Oregon is a sure bet to finish undefeated. They still have Arizona and Oregon State to play. I think the chances of Boise State finishing undefeated are better than Oregon's, IMO. Regardless of where they end up, if Nebraska ends up winning out and going to a BCS game, I think that would be a remarkable accomplishment for this team.

Well it's a long shot, but here's what we need:

All assuming Oregon wins out.. which they will. Also assuming Nebraska wins out of course.

MUST HAPPEN:

1. Auburn needs to lose to Alabama AND maybe Georgia too (they could also lose in their conference championship game if they made it)

2. LSU needs to lose @ Arkansas in the last week of the season or in conference championship game if they made it.

3. Ohio St. needs to lose to Iowa or Michigan.

4. Alabama needs to lose to LSU/Mississippi St (probs not happening, but could lose in conference champ game if they made it)

MIGHT NEED TO HAPPEN:

5. Wisconsin needs to lose to Purdue/Indiana/Michigan/Northwestern (we could maybe jump them if they don't lose)

6. Utah needs to lose to San Diego St/BYU/Notre Dame (probably jump them even if they win out tho)

7. TCU needs to lose to Utah/San Diego St (probably jump them even if they win out)

8. Boise needs to lose (probably jump them even if they don't)

9. Stanford has to lose a game (only chances are Oregon St and Arizona) but we could jump them anyways

So 4 MUST HAPPEN scenarios and maybe more.

I'm not so sure Oregon is a sure bet to finish undefeated. They still have Arizona and Oregon State to play. I think the chances of Boise State finishing undefeated are better than Oregon's, IMO. Regardless of where they end up, if Nebraska ends up winning out and going to a BCS game, I think that would be a remarkable accomplishment for this team.

The reason i left Oregon out of the conversation is because most likely, they will have to lose not one, but two games for us to jump them. The only way we jump them if they only have one loss is if they lose in, say, the last week of the season, and we just blow Oklahoma out of the water. I agree a Big XII Championship and BCS berth would be a huge success this year.

Also to all that say "we need to focus on ISU, stop talking about this stuff". I'm a fan, so I'm going to talk about this stuff. This is what message boards are for. As long as Bo and team are focused on ISU, then that's what matters.

I guess it's not impossible, but I just want us to get to a point where even if we lose the championship game, we'll still be an at large bid for a BCS bowl. The bowl selection committees seem to dislike the loser of the Big XII Championship game recently though, taking KU over MU in '07, Texas over MU in '08, etc.

I think our MNC chances are none and none. Way too much has to happen and we have to play PERFECT football from here on out, something this team has not shown the ability to do.

Realistic expectations for this team are a Conference Championship, a BCS win, and a top five finish. If we achieve that this year, I'll be more than pleased.

Agreed, but hey if somehow it worked out for us to be in the BCS Championship Game I'd be happy :)

TCU or Utah make a big jump next week. One will put points on us. ONe of them will end undefeated, no question. If we do not jump them this week, we are not going to. Boise will stay ahead of us to. We play no one rest of the season so no pretty points to be gained.

CCG is not going to be terribly beneficial against undefeated teams. TCU or Utah will have beaten a higher ranked team.

Lets just win out, quit worrying about what might happen. Think the worst and we will be happily surprised.

Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. The winner of Bama-Auburn (which is likely the eventual SEC champ) gets the heads up over the Big12 champion any day. Boise isn't going to lose a game, the winner of TCU-Utah won't lose a game, and Oregon isn't going to lose a game. Given the system, basically our only hope of getting in would be backing in, which I wouldn't be super proud of anyway.

After we laid an egg against Texass we were screwed. We really needed wins against ranked opponents to finish the year. OSU, ranked and a good top 20 win. Misery, ranked top ten and a quality win. The rest of the way is not that strong, ISU, T A & M are ok wins if we can get those but not good enough.

What hurts us the most, is OU is no longer no 1 in the nation. If they were undefeated and leading the BCS for 6 weeks, and NU goes to Dallas and beats them badly, we could've overcome that Texass loss.

We run the table we will probably end of 3rd in the BCS and just out of the game. It all comes down to Texass and Redemption .01, Red Out Around The World, Finish .01, etc.

We didn't take care of business in one of the biggest games for NU for the next 20 years, so we are 100% out of the MNC game in my opinion.

If we finish top 3 and pre BCS games and play a quality team in a BCS bowl, then that sets up top 5 next year and one of the toughest schedules for the 2011 season. It all sets up nicely to make a championship run next year. Bo's fourth year. I will take that all day long.