Where was Burkhead?

Where was Rex? That's easy. On the sideline admiring Helu like the rest of us.

Seriously though, no injuries I've heard of. Just a day for Helu to pound the rock all by his lonesome. Come to think of it, Rex either got one carry or was going to get one carry on the final drive to give Helu a breather. I remember him getting in the huddle, but I'm not sure if he got the ball or not.

He was brought in and then there was a penalty or we called a time out or something and Roy took it on himself to go back in and get a first down (it was a 3rd and 3 I think). Yeah there was nothing wrong with Rex, it's just Roy was the very hot hand. Probably going to see more of Rex this week though, Roy has had problems stringing together multiple great games in a row with a lot of carries.

I don't think it's anything about an injury or a doghouse situation, it's just the simple fact that Roy was so very effective.

I would have to go back through the games and look at the number of rushes, but it seems like the coaches were limiting Roy's runs early, giving the ball to Burkhead more, early in the season. We're seeing the results of that - a fresh, agile, fast Helu late in the season against the meat of our schedule.

is it possible they knew he had a good chance to take the record? i would not be surprised if that played a role in the decision to give him more carries.

he is also a heckuva back, no reason to take him off anyway. it is nice having two incredible backs that can split carries or carry the load by themselves.

I don't know if they were trying to get Roy the record. I do know they kept feeding him the ball even though Missouri knew that's what we were going to do, and that it was effective, every single time.

Eighteen of our final 22 meaningful plays went to Helu (minus the three kneel-downs.) He earned 83 yards on those 18 carries, despite a stacked box.

I don't know if they were trying to get Roy the record. I do know they kept feeding him the ball even though Missouri knew that's what we were going to do, and that it was effective, every single time.

Eighteen of our final 22 meaningful plays went to Helu (minus the three kneel-downs.) He earned 83 yards on those 18 carries, despite a stacked box.

There's your sign. If that's not the definition of a hot hand, then I don't know what is. He was on fire, so he got the carries, simple as that. I wouldn't try to look any further into it.

Bo said in his comments after the game that they weren't even aware of the record so it obviously was a case of Helu just being on fire. I like Rex, but he's no Roy Helu!

I don't think it's anything about an injury or a doghouse situation, it's just the simple fact that Roy was so very effective.

I would have to go back through the games and look at the number of rushes, but it seems like the coaches were limiting Roy's runs early, giving the ball to Burkhead more, early in the season. We're seeing the results of that - a fresh, agile, fast Helu late in the season against the meat of our schedule.

This.

Helu was the hot hand on Saturday and it doesn't make sense to yank a guy and go nuts with splitting carries when Helu and the offensive line are performing so well together.

Was this a serious question?

It was and I'm in no way complaining about Roy getting all the carries. They normally share the workload pretty evenly and I hadn't heard of an injury but thought I would ask.

You're right, I think the coaching staff has done a great job of keeping both guys fresh, but they did an even better job in this game of sticking with the hot hand. I would expect them to do the same with Rex if the situations were reversed.