Statistics to prove/deny the "conspiracy theory".

Disclaimer: I am only putting statistics on this page. I am doing this to neither support nor deny the argument that the Big 12 officials are out to screw Nebraska.

What I did was compile a total of opponents' penalties vs. Nebraska against their season average. One would think if the refs are out to screw Nebraska, there would be fewer penalties called against the Husker's opponents in their games against Nebraska vs. the season average. While there are more ways than just calling penalties to screw a team over (not calling fumbles correctly), this may serve as an indication. To read this: It is team name followed by yards penalized against Nebraska followed by average yards penalized per game this season (in bold)

Western Kentucky vs NU 51 yards season avg 48 yards

Idaho vs NU 15 yards season avg 78.4 yards

Washington vs NU 15 yards season avg 52.6 yards

South Dakota St vs NU 73 yards season average 57.9 yards

Kansas State vs NU 30 yards season average 41.1 yards

Texas vs NU 53 yards season average 65.5 yards

Oklahoma St vs NU 84 yards season average 70.6 yards

Missouri vs NU 40 yards season average 55 yards

Comments: In all but 2 games this year, Nebraska's opponents have been penalized less than their average penalties per yards per game. Nebraska's opponents for the season average 58.64 penalty yards per game, however, when those same opponents play the Huskers they get penalized an average of 45.13 yards per game. A difference of 13.51 yards per game. Remember though that the season average includes those games the games that were played against Nebraska. That would bring the average penalty yardage per game for 6 of these 8 teams down even lower if you exclude that game (which in hindsight, probably would have been a good idea in my calculations.)

So as I see it, you can come to one of two conclusions, one that the refs are slightly biased against Nebraska, the other being that teams all of the sudden play more disciplined when they play Nebraska.

Unless Big XII referees did the W Kentucky, Idaho, Washington and SDSU games, those numbers are really irrelevant to this discussion.

Further, the reality of the situation isn't average number of penalties, or average yards, but actual penalties vs. those called/not called. That's the true litmus test.

Unless Big XII referees did the W Kentucky, Idaho, Washington and SDSU games, those numbers are really irrelevant to this discussion.

Further, the reality of the situation isn't average number of penalties, or average yards, but actual penalties vs. those called/not called. That's the true litmus test.

:yeah

Well then, pray tell, what officials did work those games?

And also, the actual penalties vs those called/not called is almost impossible to tell since it's all in the eye of the beholder. I was only giving statistics that I could compile so that people could make a reasonable conclusion. If one doesn't want to use them or find them "irrelevant" than all the more power to them.

I have a problem with Beebe and whatever you-know-what hats reviewed Martin's hit and suspended him more-so than I do the referees this year.

I think it's safe to say our referees are just not that good. Which is strange because I've heard from a few different sources in the last couple of years that the Big 12 officiating department is almost tyrannical in their overview of their referees, harshly critiquing them every week. You'd think they'd do better with so much pressure, but maybe not. Maybe it's too much pressure.

I'm sorry, but they're not relevant. You could count the stripes on the shirts of the referee crews and average those out - still wouldn't be relevant. I applaud the effort and the work it took to make that post, but those numbers don't tell us what you'd like them to say.

Off the top of my head I know a PAC-10 crew called the Washington game, if that helps. I think a Sun Belt crew called another game, but can't be certain, or tell you which one.

nothing will be perfect when the human element is involved, it would be a sad day in athletics if the officials are really trying to "get back" at NU. In general officiating has been poor on both sides, but unless the Big 12 sees that a lot of poor officiating has taken place, and action has been taken, i am not going to buy the whole conspiracy thing.

nothing will be perfect when the human element is involved, it would be a sad day in athletics if the officials are really trying to "get back" at NU. In general officiating has been poor on both sides, but unless the Big 12 sees that a lot of poor officiating has taken place, and action has been taken, i am not going to buy the whole conspiracy thing.

To be quite honest, I agree with you. I compiled the apparent irrelevant statistics as just a way of seeing if anything could be statistically proven as far as conspiracy goes or is against. I don't that the irrelevant difference I came up with is enough to prove for sure that there is a conspiracy against the Big Red. Just wanted something for people to chew on I guess.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics...

This is junk reasoning and proof. Review each play of each game objectively and count no-calls, then tell me we're getting screwed. Sometimes sh#t is just missed. Except for Gabbert's fumble, that was a make-up call for the "helmet-to-helmet".

They really need to change the name of the rule to "leading with the crown". Everyone misinterprets it just because of the name of the rule, just like the horse-collar tackle. They now throw the flag any time you touch the collar, but the rule states that a player must be brought to the ground by the collar.

If we're going to use statistics to figure this sort of stuff out, can we at least use some remotely advanced statistics besides averages? How many standard deviations away from the mean are these figures? What's the error involved in calculating it? Yeah sometimes refs suck, deal with it.

If you need some more numbers to move around to prove a point, please consider using this text. http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

You really need to break this down by quarter if you are trying to prove anything. You will see that more penalties come against our opponents in the second half and more against us in the first half.

They like to make every BS call against us in the first half to set the game's momentum, and once the game is more settled they become more fair in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter so the stats look more even than they actually are.

Edit: I would like to point out that the above is IF there is a conspiracy going on, which I highly doubt. I do however believe that when any given call could go either way, the human element in the refs from Texas who are bitter about our departure will 9/10 times side against us.

If we're going to use statistics to figure this sort of stuff out, can we at least use some remotely advanced statistics besides averages? How many standard deviations away from the mean are these figures? What's the error involved in calculating it? Yeah sometimes refs suck, deal with it.

If you need some more numbers to move around to prove a point, please consider using this text. http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

While so many other posts in this thread deserve this as well, yours takes the cake: :facepalm:

If you need some more numbers to move around to prove a point, please consider using this text. http://www.amazon.co...f/dp/0393310728

:blink: My head hurts just thinking about this