Should Martinez sit?

Maybe taylor should take it as a learning experience for not running the offence like he should be running it. For the zone read to be effective for a qb thats a runner you have to get the backs their carries also ,he should watch the videos of the game after he went out. Now I knoe mizzou knew the backs was gonna get the ball at that point but if the backs are GETTING their carries its gonna be more effective for him when he does keep the ball. Thats why I think the zone read is snow balling on him a lil bit becuzz the other team watches film and they knoe hes keeping the ball most of the time,so I hope that the coaches sit him down this week and go back to the 1st game and show him how to run the read like he did.

I think you misunderstand the Zone Read. It's not like Taylor can INTEND to give Roy/Rex the ball more often. The whole point of the play is that the QB reads a key player on the D Line - typically either the End or Tackle, depending on where the blocking scheme wants the play to go - and if that read shows keep, he has to keep the ball.

The problem Taylor is having is not in his intentions or his reads, it's in the way they're defending the play. Since SDSU our opponents have been loading the box on the Zone Read, committing the End to the RB and a CB and a Tackle (in the event our Center/Guard pulls) to Taylor. This means Taylor has a guy in his face immediately after keeping the ball, plus a guy on the second level waiting for his first move. At the same time the End is crashing down on the RB, with near-immediate contact.

It's a well-designed scheme against the Zone Read, but it leaves the defense vulnerable against the pass - as Oklahoma State discovered to their chagrin.

He needs to play.

And to comment on knapplc, agree with your assesment, however there have been times this year where Martin-ez has been pressing, not making the best of reads, looking to make a big play(which he is fully capable of, within the offense),--which in turn leads to him keeping the ball when he should maybe give it. At the beginning of the year, even against lesser opponents, he wasn't pressing quite as much and the big plays came to him--and the RBs.

Maybe taylor should take it as a learning experience for not running the offence like he should be running it. For the zone read to be effective for a qb thats a runner you have to get the backs their carries also ,he should watch the videos of the game after he went out. Now I knoe mizzou knew the backs was gonna get the ball at that point but if the backs are GETTING their carries its gonna be more effective for him when he does keep the ball. Thats why I think the zone read is snow balling on him a lil bit becuzz the other team watches film and they knoe hes keeping the ball most of the time,so I hope that the coaches sit him down this week and go back to the 1st game and show him how to run the read like he did.

I think you misunderstand the Zone Read. It's not like Taylor can INTEND to give Roy/Rex the ball more often. The whole point of the play is that the QB reads a key player on the D Line - typically either the End or Tackle, depending on where the blocking scheme wants the play to go - and if that read shows keep, he has to keep the ball.

The problem Taylor is having is not in his intentions or his reads, it's in the way they're defending the play. Since SDSU our opponents have been loading the box on the Zone Read, committing the End to the RB and a CB and a Tackle (in the event our Center/Guard pulls) to Taylor. This means Taylor has a guy in his face immediately after keeping the ball, plus a guy on the second level waiting for his first move. At the same time the End is crashing down on the RB, with near-immediate contact.

It's a well-designed scheme against the Zone Read, but it leaves the defense vulnerable against the pass - as Oklahoma State discovered to their chagrin.

I wonder, do we have a zone-read fake to a pass play (like the old option pass-I'd still love to see that play this year), or does the blocking scheme not work or would that play take too long to develop. Seems like if the D is dedicating 3 players including a DB to stopping the ZR, a fake to pass would be deadly.

To answer the OP, I hope that we win big and would like to see T-Mart's snaps limited, but I hope he plays. I don't want to see further injury.

I wonder, do we have a zone-read fake to a pass play (like the old option pass-I'd still love to see that play this year), or does the blocking scheme not work or would that play take too long to develop. Seems like if the D is dedicating 3 players including a DB to stopping the ZR, a fake to pass would be deadly.

Yes we do, and we've ran them a couple of times. One is a pass downfield and I can't tell you when we ran that (I want to say Okie State, but I can't cite a play), but the other is a variant where we run the Zone Read, then throw to a WR in a sort of bubble screen situation, which I know we ran against Missouri.

To answer the OP, I hope that we win big and would like to see T-Mart's snaps limited, but I hope he plays. I don't want to see further injury.

The option pass....I loved watching this play run! Good times...I say we come out on Saturday with the zone-read pass. They are going to be keying the run and it would be great to start the game that way. Or, Helu can just bust one again for 60 yards. Either way, I am good!

The option pass was deadly on the early EA Sports NCAA games as well, if the OL didn't immediately let the DE off the edge. Man, the triple option was hard to stop in that game, especially before they fixed it so the QB couldn't pitch the ball while being tackled. You could hang on until the QB had 4 defenders on him, then shoot a pitch out to a RB or whoever might be following the play. Used to piss my roommate off so much! :laughpound

God, I miss college....