Why isn't Nebraska getting punished for the Texas loss?

GSG

1. Texas 20, Nebraska 13

Alabama’s loss at South Carolina isn’t great, but it’s not bad. Oklahoma’s loss at Missouri is fine, as is LSU’s loss at Auburn, Stanford’s loss at Oregon, Michigan State’s loss at Iowa, Ohio State’s loss at Wisconsin and the Badgers’ loss at Michigan State. What do all those defeats have in common? They came to teams currently in the BCS top 20. No, Nebraska losing at home to Texas, with the offense getting stopped cold, isn’t allowed as an acceptable one-loss in the national title race. All the way up to seventh now in the BCS rankings, Nebraska is a great team with excellent wins like Oklahoma State on the road and Missouri at home, but the Texas loss has to be seen as more and more unforgivable as the year goes on.

After the loss to Baylor, Texas has now lost to UCLA, Iowa State, and the Bears at home, along with the loss to Oklahoma. Nowhere near the BCS top 25, the Longhorns aren’t the Longhorns, and the win over Nebraska has to be considered just like a home loss to Iowa State, Colorado, any other also-ran Big 12 team. Just because Texas has the brand name and the right uniforms, that doesn’t let the Huskers off the hook. And yes, this does matter.

At No. 7, Nebraska will likely keep moving up with four winnable games against Iowa State, Kansas, Texas A&M, and Colorado to close out the regular season. Considering Alabama could lose this week at LSU, or to Auburn, the Huskers are right there knocking on the door as the possible best of the one-loss teams. TCU or Utah will lose this week, which moves Nebraska up one spot. Alabama or Auburn will lose, and considering the timing at the end of the year, Nebraska could move ahead of the loser. If Oregon loses, it’ll certainly tumble at least five spots. In other words, the Huskers are in a fantastic position that’ll only get better if they can beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game and finish 12-1.

Texas 20, Nebraska 13.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1017731.html

It's very difficult to argue with that logic. The poorer Texas performs down the stretch, the worse it makes us look. However, if we are to be in the mix then we have to win the Big 12 Championship which will more than likely be over OU. If we win out and OU wins out, we will once again be playing a top 10 team. I'd venture to guess that Boise State and TCU are hoping and praying we're the highest ranked one loss team at the end of the season. They'll have a lot more dry powder in convincing the BCS to let them into the title game. For some reason, it just feels Texas will find a way to screw us over again.

i think if texas keeps losing, it just proves the win against us was a fluke, and it was all Nebraska with the dropped passes that caused the loss. Win out, and win big and things will sort themselves out. i think its highly possible to end up in the Title game with the right things happening.

Blah Blah Blah....A Texas loss to a top 25 ranked Baylor team isn't something I would say would hurt the Huskers.

On the other hand....ISU beating them....yeah that should have and possibly did hurt us last week. We didn't move up but two/three spots last week after beating an unbeaten top 25 Okie State team at their house.

I think right now the Huskers are about where they should be and a Utah/TCU loss or Auburn/Alabama loss means they move up again. As long as they take care of business with IA State.

IDK about everyone else but I am hoping for a Auburn win as I think there might be a chance that a one loss Auburn team remains ahead of us. Still any talk of a MNC is really really off kilt right now. Need to worry about winning out ourselves before worrying about everyone else.

**EDIT: Ok so that blah blah blah was intended at the article. not any of the comments above mine :nutz

1. Texas 20, Nebraska 13

Alabama’s loss at South Carolina isn’t great, but it’s not bad. Oklahoma’s loss at Missouri is fine, as is LSU’s loss at Auburn, Stanford’s loss at Oregon, Michigan State’s loss at Iowa, Ohio State’s loss at Wisconsin and the Badgers’ loss at Michigan State. What do all those defeats have in common? They came to teams currently in the BCS top 20. No, Nebraska losing at home to Texas, with the offense getting stopped cold, isn’t allowed as an acceptable one-loss in the national title race. All the way up to seventh now in the BCS rankings, Nebraska is a great team with excellent wins like Oklahoma State on the road and Missouri at home, but the Texas loss has to be seen as more and more unforgivable as the year goes on.

After the loss to Baylor, Texas has now lost to UCLA, Iowa State, and the Bears at home, along with the loss to Oklahoma. Nowhere near the BCS top 25, the Longhorns aren’t the Longhorns, and the win over Nebraska has to be considered just like a home loss to Iowa State, Colorado, any other also-ran Big 12 team. Just because Texas has the brand name and the right uniforms, that doesn’t let the Huskers off the hook. And yes, this does matter.

At No. 7, Nebraska will likely keep moving up with four winnable games against Iowa State, Kansas, Texas A&M, and Colorado to close out the regular season. Considering Alabama could lose this week at LSU, or to Auburn, the Huskers are right there knocking on the door as the possible best of the one-loss teams. TCU or Utah will lose this week, which moves Nebraska up one spot. Alabama or Auburn will lose, and considering the timing at the end of the year, Nebraska could move ahead of the loser. If Oregon loses, it’ll certainly tumble at least five spots. In other words, the Huskers are in a fantastic position that’ll only get better if they can beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game and finish 12-1.

Texas 20, Nebraska 13.

Valid point - we really "dropped the ball" on the Texas game

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1017731.html

What more punishment does he want? We're outside looking in without a LOT of help for the title game, whereas had we won that game we'd be in the top three, if not the top two, right now. How is that not punishment?

Further, our loss affected us more than Alabama's loss affected them. Bama was first in both polls, then fell to eighth with their loss. Nebraska plummeted from fifth (AP) and fourth (Coaches) to 14th (AP) and 13th (Coaches), falling two more spots than Alabama fell when they lost.

Since losing to South Carolina, Alabama has beaten unranked and unheralded Mississippi and Tennessee, while Nebraska has beaten #17 Oklahoma State and #7 Missouri. Clearly we've put together a better resume than the Crimson Tide after our loss.

This guy isn't looking at the facts, he's just putting forth opinion. Pure and simple.

• Fire 1

Blah Blah Blah....A Texas loss to a top 25 ranked Baylor team isn't something I would say would hurt the Huskers.

On the other hand....ISU beating them....yeah that should have and possibly did hurt us last week. We didn't move up but two/three spots last week after beating an unbeaten top 25 Okie State team at their house.

I think right now the Huskers are about where they should be and a Utah/TCU loss or Auburn/Alabama loss means they move up again. As long as they take care of business with IA State.

IDK about everyone else but I am hoping for a Auburn win as I think there might be a chance that a one loss Auburn team remains ahead of us. Still any talk of a MNC is really really off kilt right now. Need to worry about winning out ourselves before worrying about everyone else.

**EDIT: Ok so that blah blah blah was intended at the article. not any of the comments above mine :nutz

While I agree with you that a one loss Auburn team could stay ahead of us, I think it is a lot more probable that Oregon wins out. If both Oregon and Auburn win out, then really all we can hope for is winning the Big 12 Championship Game and a good BCS Bowl. Right now, the deck seems stacked against us. It almost seems like Bama will have to lose again and Auburn will have to lose before we have a shot.

What more punishment does he want? We're outside looking in without a LOT of help for the title game, whereas had we won that game we'd be in the top three, if not the top two, right now. How is that not punishment?

Further, our loss affected us more than Alabama's loss affected them. Bama was first in both polls, then fell to eighth with their loss. Nebraska plummeted from fifth (AP) and fourth (Coaches) to 14th (AP) and 13th (Coaches), falling two more spots than Alabama fell when they lost.

Since losing to South Carolina, Alabama has beaten unranked and unheralded Mississippi and Tennessee, while Nebraska has beaten #17 Oklahoma State and #7 Missouri. Clearly we've put together a better resume than the Crimson Tide after our loss.

This guy isn't looking at the facts, he's just putting forth opinion. Pure and simple.

Sounds like he is a closet Texas fan hoping for the Huskers demise. Or Gary Pinkel....

That was kind of the whole point of posting this. Out of all the 1-loss teams in the top half of the BCS standings, I really don't think our loss is much worse than any of the others, especially if you watched the games saw the Huskers beat themselves. And based on what I've watched this season, I would say Nebraska and Alabama would be #1 and #1A for the best teams with 1 loss.

And we're guaranteed to get another 1 loss team this weekend and from what I've watched in person and on TV, neither TCU nor Utah would beat us. I've heard the same from some TCU people.

I was listening to the sports radio here in KC and all of the excuses and whining of some of the

less educated Mizzou fans. On thought it was important to bring up that some how beating Mizzou

didnt matter cuz we lost to Texas, a game we had circled on our calender long ago. while i admit

nebraska choked in a game they really wanted, i think mizzou fan needs to admit their lack of

fulfilling a deep desire in beating NU. first of all they always want to beat us....but after the Big 10

rejected them like an ugly girl at a dance for the sexier NU, they really wanted to beat us.

i just find these fans funny...

That Texas loss so should not have happened. I see that writer's point since technically we lost to a 4 loss Texas team but everyone knows Texas didn't beat us and that Nebraska (players and coaches) beat themselves so I'm just glad we are where we are in the BCS poll right now.

So many cool things could happen for us in the next few weeks, I'm not sold on any team ranked above us. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to us and everyone who's in front of us. At least we're somewhat in the hunt.:thumbs

My dog spilled my milk at breakfast the other morning. I was eating a big meal of steak and eggs... so it was sure tough to finish the meal without the refreshing feeling of washing it all down with that glass of milk. To make matters worse, I had nothing else to drink. I really wanted that milk, I can't believe it got spilled. Things would be so much better if I could have got my milk that day. If only it wouldn't have gotten spilled..... oh the possibilities.

The author ignores that we have handed three then-undefeated teams their first losses. LSU and Oklahoma are horribly overrated and have been all season. If this author thinks Texas is so bad, then what big wins does Oklahoma have? A blow out over a horrible FSU team? Meanwhile, our loss to Texas sucks, but we've also beaten two excellent teams in Okie State and Missouri.

I don't know why people are giving so much credit to Alabama for losing to South Carolina. IMO, Bama's loss to South Carolina is not that much better than our loss to Texas.

Anyone with a brain would see that the Texas loss was an aberration is not at all reflective of this team's potential. I think if we play that game 10 times, Texas might win 3 or 4 of them at the most.