Pelini and Osborne after 36 games

Nexus

As some of you know, Bo Pelini passed Bill Callahan yesterday in coaching wins at Nebraska. It only took Pelini a little over 2 years to do what Callahan did in 4 years. Kudos for that!

Another interesting thing to note is that yesterday's game was Pelini's 36th game as head coach (*excluding his interim HC stint in the 2003 Alamo Bowl). In Tom Osborne's first 3 seasons as HC at NU, he coached 36 games. Let's see how Pelini compares to Osborne after 36 games:

Osborne

1973 = 9-2-1

1974 = 9-3

1975 = 10-2

Total = 28.5 wins - 7.5 losses (.791)

Pelini

*2003 = 1-0

2008 = 9-4

2009 = 10-4

2010 = 8-1

Total = *28 wins - 9 losses (.777) or 27 wins - 9 losses w/o figuring in his 2003 win (.750)

Furthermore, in Bob Devaney's first 3 seasons as HC at NU, he was 28-5 (.848).

As some of you know, Bo Pelini passed Bill Callahan yesterday in coaching wins at Nebraska. It only took Pelini a little over 2 years to do what Callahan did in 4 years. Kudos for that!

Another interesting thing to note is that yesterday's game was Pelini's 36th game as head coach (*excluding his interim HC stint in the 2003 Alamo Bowl). In Tom Osborne's first 3 seasons as HC at NU, he coached 36 games. Let's see how Pelini compares to Osborne after 36 games:

Osborne

1973 = 9-2-1

1974 = 9-3

1975 = 10-2

Total = 28.5 wins - 7.5 losses (.791)

Pelini

*2003 = 1-0

2008 = 9-4

2009 = 10-4

2010 = 8-1

Total = 28 wins - 9 losses (.777) or 27 wins - 9 losses w/o figuring in his 2003 win (.750)

Furthermore, in Bob Devaney's first 3 seasons as HC at NU, he was 28-5 (.848).

so thus far he is only like the 3rd best coach in our history.... what a bum.

edit make that 4th. horrible!!

Again, the Frank Solich dismissal wasn't entirely football related, but we shouldn't forget the nice run he had.

The Pedersen decision may have been regrettable, but the same fans who post on places like this were also calling for Solich's head after that 7-7 2002 season, and most of the complaints about dumping the 9 - 3 Solich in 2003 were about not making Pelini permanent. I remember a lot of folks being excited about making a big change and luring a hot coach.

Osborne, as well as Solich, walked into much better situations than what Pelini walked into.

I also think Solich would have inevitably been fired anyways. His recruiting was never that good, he relied far too much on the quarterback in his offense, and he recruited too many Nebraska kids. If you want to win, you HAVE to go outside of Nebraska. You just have to, and you have to do it often.

Nexus, I think you have a typo. I think Osborne's percentage should be .853 (five losses in 34 attempts).

?

T.O. coached in 36 games his first 3 seasons. Maybe I misunderstood your point?

:facepalm:

Gah. My bad. *I* had the typo.

Good thing that's not embarrassing. :)

:lol:

No biggie. Been there, done that.