Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

Before everyone bashes the article, I recommend reading the whole thing. Though I don't agree with all of it, it makes a few very fair points. In particular, I completely agree with his analysis of the reasons the stadium isn't as loud as it may have once been.

I also agree with the general point that if (when) there comes a day where Bo's Huskers have a really rough skid or a rough year, or scandal or whatever, Bo's faults will be held against him just like any other coach. I don't agree that this particular incident regarding fan noise will matter: it's just not that big of a deal in the long-term. But we will hear escalating complaints about Bo's short temper, disinterest in feeding the media, etc., when the Huskers lose four in a row or sit at 6-5 or whatever. I'm a huge Bo fan and think he's got us going in the right direction, but the reality is that there will be rough times at some point. I do think that goodwill built up with the press would help him weather those tough times a bit better, and I do think that it will become more necessary for him to rein in his temper when the on-field performance at that particular point in time isn't earning him the benefit of the doubt.

Again, I'm super optimistic about Bo, and I do think the on-field performance is infinitely more important than his attitude toward the press and any offhand comment about the fans. In fact, the author of the article says the exact same thing in the opening of the article, not quoted above. The author just claims (and I tend to agree) that these things do matter, to some small extent, when things aren't going so well.

That being said, this whole "Bo bashes fans" story in general is completely overblown and ridiculous.

It is getting a little overboard on this, yes he said it, but I have said this before, I think he says a lot of stuff because of his obvious dislike of the media. I like Bo but he has to get a grip on his attitude one of these days...

From Booger to Buckwheat. Not sure I get the progression, but my Spidey Senses tell me it has something to do with the letter B.

av-4479.jpeg

"Ok fine Carl I did foul you in that pickup game in the driveway in '74 can we move on now?"

Either that pic is just after an outburst, or when an outburst is looking likely. Hagg and Ross Watson both are like, "I don't know if I want to be standing here right now."

Husker fans should either be loud, or stop whining when people say they're not loud.

Yes, we should be emotionless robots that cheer no matter what.

Not saying that. But this whole discussion is an example of how spoiled rotten Nebraska fans have gotten. There's a sense of entitlement that we "deserve" to have national championship contenders every single year and that anything short of that is nothing to get excited about.

The team is 9-1, and in our last game ever against Kansas where victory was never in doubt, and the crowd had no buzz. The players did their job and won the game, all the crowd did was show up. People from Texas A&M, Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, ALL OVER the country would have laughed in our faces after observing our crowd walk in to the stadium, where signs read, "Through these Gates Pass The Greatest Fans in College Football."

The Husker fans that clearly think they're immune to criticism are the types of people who wouldn't be able to make it through one of Bo Pelini's practices without crying for their mother, and here they are sitting on their hands in the stadium criticizing the players that are man enough to do that, and STILL then deflecting blame for the crowd noise down to the student athletes or coaches on the field.

Right now, there are only TWO reasons Nebraska fans deserve to be called the greatest in college football: 1. They've sold out 300+ games 2. They're nicer than other fan bases. The problem with both of those is that during the Callahan years, companies had to purchase whole sets of tickets in order to keep the sellout streak from ending because there weren't enough fans to keep the streak going, and being "nicer" than other fan bases doesn't mean you're a great fan. It just makes you nice.

As far as creating an intimidating atmosphere for opposing teams, for creating chaos on the field with noise, as far as supporting the team? Right now, Nebraska can take a back seat to a number of other fan bases in the country, and this debate is all you need to look at in order to see that.

Take the "Through these Gates" signs down, not because they're in bad taste, but because they're simply no longer true.