We got the Fuzz texted on us in Memorial

I am I

So my brother flew to Denver from Nashville, my other brother drove from Ft Collins, we left Denver at 7am to get to Lincoln. Met my dad at the hotel and headed over to a short tailgate for about a 1.5 hours. We drank a shot of Glenlivet as a toast for being together for a game, chugged a couple beers each, had a Vodka red bull and brought one for the 15 minute walk to the stadium.

Game starts, crowd on feet cheering...starting some Husker Power and Go Big Red chants up in the North Stadium. 3 seats directly behind=empty. 2 brothers about age 10 behind and to the right. One kid about 12 directly to the left w/ his dad. The rest were the usual season ticket holders we see at every game and have become somewhat friendly with over the last 3 yrs.

We were up 14-0 and had just thrown the INT or had the fumble, so it was in the second half for sure. Crowd stands up (there were about 30 of us who didn't sit one time, including me and my 2 bros) and starts cheering. I yell out, "let's go Husker fans, we're only up 14 against KANSAS!! People get louder, we force a stop, I think. TV timeout, they punt or something, most people in section sit down....not us. we're laughing, talking, high fiving, talking to the kids around us (who, by the way, HUGGED us when the left and said they had the best time)...

As the crowd sits, we look over to the aisle and 2 Stadium Police are standing there looking at us talking into their little earpiece things and confirming us as there targets. One points right at us and say, "You 4, over here right now!" We looked around and were like, "US!?!" he said, "yes, you 4"...and he pointed to me, by brothers, and the guy standing next to us with the 13 yr old. We make our way through the crowd and in a forceful tone he says we have reports of foul language, drinking, and that you guys are the ONLY ones standing while the rest of your section is sitting!

We were so pissed, we calmly explained that we are not drinking, absolutely not cursing, and that yes, we are standing and yelling very loudly but that we are only up 14-0 in the 3rd quarter against KU. He said, "well someone behind you has complained that you are standing while everyone else is sitting and if we see any drinking, your outta here."

So we were like, Okay....went and sat down. ALL the people around us were like, that is complete BS! We love you guys getting the crowd going and cheering and having fun. So everyone banded together without even saying anything and everyone just stood up and started cheering. And we only sat back down on the last drive or two of the game with everyone around us calling BS on whoever texted us in. And the kids and their parents who were sitting next to us were all happy and hugging and high fiving on the way out.

I just watched that aggie fan's video of the 12th man and saw a crowd arm in arm going complete apesh#t. And it just compelled me to write this to you guys, cuz we were so pissed we essentially got the cops called on us for standing and cheering. It won't change my behavior at games and I'll always cheer loudly, but I have thought Memorial isn't quite the same ballistic place it used to be, unless we were having huge moments against OU or Texass or Mizz and the like, and now I know why.

So my brother flew to Denver from Nashville, my other brother drove from Ft Collins, we left Denver at 7am to get to Lincoln. Met my dad at the hotel and headed over to a short tailgate for about a 1.5 hours. We drank a shot of Glenlivet as a toast for being together for a game, chugged a couple beers each, had a Vodka red bull and brought one for the 15 minute walk to the stadium.

Game starts, crowd on feet cheering...starting some Husker Power and Go Big Red chants up in the North Stadium. 3 seats directly behind=empty. 2 brothers about age 10 behind and to the right. One kid about 12 directly to the left w/ his dad. The rest were the usual season ticket holders we see at every game and have become somewhat friendly with over the last 3 yrs.

We were up 14-0 and had just thrown the INT or had the fumble, so it was in the second half for sure. Crowd stands up (there were about 30 of us who didn't sit one time, including me and my 2 bros) and starts cheering. I yell out, "let's go Husker fans, we're only up 14 against KANSAS!! People get louder, we force a stop, I think. TV timeout, they punt or something, most people in section sit down....not us. we're laughing, talking, high fiving, talking to the kids around us (who, by the way, HUGGED us when the left and said they had the best time)...

As the crowd sits, we look over to the aisle and 2 Stadium Police are standing there looking at us talking into their little earpiece things and confirming us as there targets. One points right at us and say, "You 4, over here right now!" We looked around and were like, "US!?!" he said, "yes, you 4"...and he pointed to me, by brothers, and the guy standing next to us with the 13 yr old. We make our way through the crowd and in a forceful tone he says we have reports of foul language, drinking, and that you guys are the ONLY ones standing while the rest of your section is sitting!

We were so pissed, we calmly explained that we are not drinking, absolutely not cursing, and that yes, we are standing and yelling very loudly but that we are only up 14-0 in the 3rd quarter against KU. He said, "well someone behind you has complained that you are standing while everyone else is sitting and if we see any drinking, your outta here."

So we were like, Okay....went and sat down. ALL the people around us were like, that is complete BS! We love you guys getting the crowd going and cheering and having fun. So everyone banded together without even saying anything and everyone just stood up and started cheering. And we only sat back down on the last drive or two of the game with everyone around us calling BS on whoever texted us in. And the kids and their parents who were sitting next to us were all happy and hugging and high fiving on the way out.

I just watched that aggie fan's video of the 12th man and saw a crowd arm in arm going complete apesh#t. And it just compelled me to write this to you guys, cuz we were so pissed we essentially got the cops called on us for standing and cheering. It won't change my behavior at games and I'll always cheer loudly, but I have thought Memorial isn't quite the same ballistic place it used to be, unless we were having huge moments against OU or Texass or Mizz and the like, and now I know why.

Nor should you change the way you act. It's a freaking football game! If people wanna go sit on their butts someplace and relax, go watch a high school production of Romeo and Juliet!

That is a ridiculous story. It sounds like the Police believed you were guilty when they walked up to you. Absolutely uncalled for.

As for the drinking - these guys aren't exactly Sherlock Holmeses, are they? There were at LEAST fifty of those little liquor bottles in about a ten-row radius around our area after the crowd thinned out. If they want to catch "the drinkers" all they gotta do is open their eyes.

Boo on the cops on this one. :lame:bs:

It really has turned into a less than hostile environment in that stadium, for some reason. I tend to lean on the side that the crowd age is getting up there, but that can't be all of it. Maybe it's the poor football that was played in the BC era and the fans forget what it's like to have a top 10 team, I really don't know. That place used to literally shake for EVERY game, the second you'd hear Sirius start up, that was the last you heard of the song, the crowd would totally drown out the rest of it. Now, it's just not like that, no clue what needs to happen, but it's NOT a hard place to play anymore, it's just not.

Sorry that happened to you man, that stinks. I hope you had fun otherwise.

Good portion of Memorial Stadium crowd = blue hairs and social event attendees.

My thoughts exactly. We were up and down the whole game. People need to realize where they are at and understand that they are there to cheer on their team and sitting on their hands listening to their headsets does not accomplish that.

thanks for the support. we had complete blast besides the 5 miuntes the fuzz was on our nutz. what was encouraging was that eveyone besides the person who called us in apparently, thought we were acting just fine, and even supported us. for it being the KU game and not much hype about it, I would say we were all quite pleased with the crowd and it was pretty loud and into the game. but there are times it's not just plain rocking and shaking, and I just wish it was.

I for one do expect people around me to sit. Not because I am lazy, or even because I don't want to stand - I like standing for the game, and if the people around someone are cool with it, its fine by me. I expect people to sit for the fans who can't stand for an entire game. And I do not write this to attack you I am I, but as a rant from the argument that certain fans ("blue hairs") always want to sit.

As I say that, I think of my grandfather who went to this game. His seats are separate from mine, but I would do what was needed to make sure he can see the game. He's 87 years old and not capable of standing for 60 minutes - not even close. And don't give me any crap about how he should use the wheelchair area or some such. He's had his seats for longer than most people on this board have been alive. He also takes pride that at this age he can still make it up the stairs (barely) and watch a game from the same seats he's had for so many years.

In addition to that, until 2 years ago he was pretty spry for someone that age. Then he was in a serious car accident with my grandmother that made national news when a concrete truck overturned on their car crushing the back of it. They didn't think he would ever walk again, let alone live. Against the odds, he did. And one of his great joys is traveling up from Tennessee to be in the stadium watching the game. And it would ruin his experience if the people ahead of him stood for the whole game, blocking his view.

There is often a lot of talk of being fans and supporting the team. I hear talk of how standing and being loud correlates to being a great fan. Then I hear talk of blue hairs sitting and how that somehow removes their aptitude to be a fan. That really pisses me off. Sure, some are just being lazy and want to sit, but there are more than a few who can't stand for a whole game, or even go from sitting to standing and back again multiple times. I don't sit or expect others to sit for me, its for those old timers who can't.

Show 'em some respect peoples. :rant

Bradr, I would be willing to bet that everyone in front of your grandfather would be willing to sit so he could see, but I would also be willing to bet that they don't know his situation. That's the thing - unless he holds up a sign saying, "87-year-old lifelong Husker Fan who cannot stand," nobody's going to know. It's hard to expect them to know, and it's hard to get angry when they stand in front of them.

Tough situation all around.