Are reverse plays illegal now?

godd2

I am just curious since i am not sure i have seen one from nebraska all year...or maybe quick screen passes or even some misdirection outside of the read play that seems to not really be a read play any more....

does anyone think that watson may actually be creative some time soon and use the opposing defenses' focus on t-mart to our advantage?

i agree completely...

we have ZERO plays we run with a misdirection-step/counter/reverse/or an invite upfield before we dump it off.

often times, the more mobile a QB, the better these plays work, because the mobile QB can gain such a great angle with his speed that the defense is even more committed before changing field.

of course, Watson didn't get stupid overnight, so he knows that keeping a D honest can be advantageous

It would be nice to see Martinez running to one sidline while a wideout comes back the other way and takes it on a pitch in the opposite direction. Just Martinez' threat to beat the D to the outside would cause them most likely to be out of position. The only problem is finding a capable WR to take the pitch. Most of our guys arent fast enough to make it worth the gamble and dont even mention NP because he would likely find a way to drop the pitch and then watch the play go the other way for 6. I am just fine with them not running the reverse especially with our inability to take care of the ball on simple handoffs.

Creativity doesn't mean running gimmicky plays.

It means beating the defensive gameplan by attacking their weaknesses, throwing out new routes, and just using the chess pieces in a way that always keeps the D on their toes. It's less easy to notice than a double reverse, but Watson has done a very good job this year. Even Texas, where we had them by the balls but had execution issues that could have made it a much different game. Why is that play that got Rex wide-freaking-open at the goal line not "creative"?

Of course, actually get creative and then he's accused of getting too cute with the playcalling and not just grinding it out and pounding it up the middle the Nebraska way. With gadget plays such as I don't know - Niles Paul lining up in the Wildcat?

Where we may be seeing the creativity die down a lot is down the stretch of this year though. We are seriously hobbled with our #2 QB out, our #3 QB concussed (is Cody back to being OK to play yet?), and our #1 QB literally seriously hobbled, taking away the one quality that really set him apart to begin with. This weekend could be a rough one.

It would be nice to see Martinez running to one sidline while a wideout comes back the other way and takes it on a pitch in the opposite direction. Just Martinez' threat to beat the D to the outside would cause them most likely to be out of position. The only problem is finding a capable WR to take the pitch. Most of our guys arent fast enough to make it worth the gamble and dont even mention NP because he would likely find a way to drop the pitch and then watch the play go the other way for 6. I am just fine with them not running the reverse especially with our inability to take care of the ball on simple handoffs.

I'm glad that you watch all the games very closely. Becasue I am sure you would remember we have this exact play and it was run to Niles and he would have scored six IF Taylor had not completely screwed up the read, ran to close to Niles, and then looked like a nerd trying to get it to him. It was during Okie State. It is a reverse zone read to the wide reciever and it a great play if you excuted right, and pretty sure Niles was the played the best out of anyone agaisnt Kansas, 4 third down snags in crucial situations, prolly should put him on the bench.

• Fire 1

Most of the time reverses are good for anything from a loss of yards all together to about a 5 yard gain. I hate reverses. They worked back in the 80's and 90's but you hardly see good looking reverses anymore. I feel the same way about screen passes.

sometimes you run plays to either run another play off it, or to keep the defense honest(or both) I posted a few weeks back about our general lack of anything our of the norm this year. when is the last time we ran a simple screen for the RB? or a wr screen? plays like this help when defense are spying a lb on our QB