David Ubben Giving No Respect to Dennard

It's really difficult (impossible?) to judge something like this, when it seems to be so close. Prince seems to always defend the best receiver on the team, so that should be considered. I found this stat awesome though:

Name Team G Interceptions Passes Broken Up Passes Defended Passes Defended/G

Prince Amukamara Nebraska 10 0 11 11 1.10

Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska 9 4 6 10 1.11

the thing about Dennard is he seems to always make the big play. Amukamara has had two or more interceptions that he should have had, but dropped them.

What were his other 3 reasons A & M beats Nebraska? I noticed that was reason #4....

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/21631/page/thursday-predictions/big-12-predictions-week-12-2

Bottom of the page.

No. 19 Texas A&M 27, No. 8 Nebraska 24: I'll call my shot here in an upset special. I barely missed when I picked the Aggies to beat Oklahoma State. I missed by, let's say, a wide margin, when I picked Missouri to beat the Huskers. The third time's the charm, right? Let me explain:

1) Texas A&M got a lot of practice defending the zone read against Baylor last week, with Robert Griffin III and Jay Finley. They gave up a few big plays in the first half, but played a lot better in the second half. That'll continue this week.

2) Conservative, average, punchless, whatever. Call it what you want. Mediocre has many names. That's what Nebraska's offense has been without a full-strength Taylor Martinez. I have my doubts about how healthy Martinez's ankle is, and in this game, where Nebraska will have to put points on the board, that's a big deal. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson sounded optimistic on Wednesday, but if he's not 100 percent healthy, their running offense won't be as effective. Even if he is, the Aggies have athletes on the edge and in the middle at linebacker in Garrick Williams, Von Miller and Michael Hodges who can make the stops necessary to keep the Huskers at bay.

3) Oklahoma State couldn't stop Nebraska's offense. Missouri couldn't move the ball against Nebraska's defense. Texas A&M, however, has a better pass rush and a better secondary than Oklahoma State, and can run downhill with power, versus Missouri's slow-developing, east-west running attack that got swallowed up by the Huskers speed on defense. Taylor Martinez isn't throwing for 300 yards against Tim DeRuyter's defense, and as long as Cyrus Gray gets 20-plus touches, the Aggies should be able to run the ball where Nebraska has been vulnerable: right in the middle of the defense. The Aggies offensive line is getting better fast, and those two freshman tackles have turned from a liability into a strength, coach Mike Sherman said this week.

4) Missouri doesn't have the talent at receiver to get open, but Texas A&M does. Jeff Fuller probably won't have a big day against Prince Amukamara, but Uzoma Nwachukwu will occupy Alfonzo Dennard, and opportunities over the middle should be there for slot men Ryan Swope and Kenric McNeal, as well as tight end Nehemiah Hicks and Gray out of the backfield. Ryan Tannehill will find them enough to help the Aggies spring the upset and finish the season strong.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to root for Fresno State to upset Boise State.

His #3 doesn't make much sense. You can just as easily say Missouri's Defense couldn't do much to stop Nebraska's Offense and Oklahoma State's Offense couldn't keep up with Nebraska's Defense when it mattered and that A&M's D is worse or equal to Missouri's and their offense isn't anywhere close to Oklahoma State's.

Also, he says their offensive line is getting better fast (due to playing Oklahoma, Kansas and Baylor). Kansas is garbage, Baylor isn't good and didn't Missouri shut down Oklahoma's pass rush only to get destroyed by Nebraska's D-Line. Are they getting better or are they just not playing teams that can rush the passer effectively? I'm leaning towards the later.

It's really difficult (impossible?) to judge something like this, when it seems to be so close. Prince seems to always defend the best receiver on the team, so that should be considered. I found this stat awesome though:

Name Team G Interceptions Passes Broken Up Passes Defended Passes Defended/G

Prince Amukamara Nebraska 10 0 11 11 1.10

Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska 9 4 6 10 1.11

the thing about Dennard is he seems to always make the big play. Amukamara has had two or more interceptions that he should have had, but dropped them.

Thats a great stat line. From this I conclude it is safer to go after Prince because he is less likely to pick the ball. Dennard on the other hand has great hands and I believe is a better athlete than Prince (not just based on this state line). Both are right there but i give the nod to Dennard. Neither option is a very good one if you are an opposing QB.

Dennard had problems last year with catching. Seemed like every time he touched a ball last year like he was going to pick it, it either was dropped or popped up and caught by the offense (happened in the Kansas game). Now this year Prince can't catch an int but is also not getting too many looks a game. That dropped pick in the Missouri game would've been electric (def. pick 6).

This is his Reason #4 why A&M beats Nebraska this week:

4) Missouri doesn't have the talent at receiver to get open, but Texas A&M does. Jeff Fuller probably won't have a big day against Prince Amukamara, but Uzoma Nwachukwu will occupy Alfonzo Dennard, and opportunities over the middle should be there for slot men Ryan Swope and Kenric McNeal, as well as tight end Nehemiah Hicks and Gray out of the backfield. Ryan Tannehill will find them enough to help the Aggies spring the upset and finish the season strong.

-----------------------------------------------------

Does he not realize how good Dennard is? Possibly as good or better than Prince? Also doesn't realize how good Hagg and Gomes are apparently with his over the middle comment. Lavonte will definitely be the wild card this week deciding how our defense performs whether its covering a slot receiver/running back, or plugging holes in the running game.

The thing about Dennard is he keeps his mouth shuts and plays the game. We will see on Saturday

I think Dennard and the rest of the secondary did a fantastic job. Dennard allowed one big reception and had a horrible PI called on him. We have the best cover corner combo in the country.