Thanks, Watson...

So you believe it is Watson's fault that in 11 drives out of the game today, we had a penalty on 8 of them?

You think it is Watson's fault that Martinez cannot push off on his foot which results in horrid throws?

You think it is Watson's fault he can ask that we double Von Miller, but yet he still finds a way to get pressure?

Or you think it is Watson's fault that our WR's cannot catch, but somehow our TE's can?

But all of that will fall on deaf ears. If you think Watson was our problem tonight, you have issues.

I think it goes to coaching when, after working with these players this far into the season, you have that many penalties (and the formation, false start penalties seemed (just from watching on TV) to be legitimate. Not ALL of those penalties were, mind you, but some were.

I think it's also on Watson to develop our back-ups into competent back-ups or to build enough strengh on offense so that the game doesn't rest on a single player's shoulders.

Our problems were compounded for a variety of reasons tonight, but we seemed to have consistently struggled on offense without Martinez (last year, and this year when he was less than 100%). I think that kind of falls onto the offensive mastermind and coach. I'm not on the "FIRE WATSON" bandwagon by any means, but I think if you asked him, he would take a good portion of the responsibility for offensive shortcomings.

So you believe it is Watson's fault that in 11 drives out of the game today, we had a penalty on 8 of them?

You think it is Watson's fault that Martinez cannot push off on his foot which results in horrid throws?

You think it is Watson's fault he can ask that we double Von Miller, but yet he still finds a way to get pressure?

Or you think it is Watson's fault that our WR's cannot catch, but somehow our TE's can?

But all of that will fall on deaf ears. If you think Watson was our problem tonight, you have issues.

I think it goes to coaching when, after working with these players this far into the season, you have that many penalties (and the formation, false start penalties seemed (just from watching on TV) to be legitimate. Not ALL of those penalties were, mind you, but some were.

I think it's also on Watson to develop our back-ups into competent back-ups or to build enough strengh on offense so that the game doesn't rest on a single player's shoulders.

Our problems were compounded for a variety of reasons tonight, but we seemed to have consistently struggled on offense without Martinez (last year, and this year when he was less than 100%). I think that kind of falls onto the offensive mastermind and coach. I'm not on the "FIRE WATSON" bandwagon by any means, but I think if you asked him, he would take a good portion of the responsibility for offensive shortcomings.

Simply put - Watson installs the offense and coaches his position. He coaches the staff on the gameplan and the style of offense he wants. From there, it is upon the position coach to teach this to the players and have them playing well enough to cut back on the mistakes.

If you want to blame Watson for Cody Green not being able to play, fine. But the injuries to our top 2 QBs are not his fault, nor are the constant mistakes by our WRs and OL.

Penalties-No, simply put, we got rode hard and put away wet.

Martinez injury-No. Not at all. Situations like the one we were put in tonight, required a bit more creativity, and a willingness to try anything to catch lightning in a bottle on a night like tonight, where points were at a premium.

WR's not catching-This falls on Gilmore, a member of the offensive staff, which is headed up by Watson.

Von Miller-that's where the offensive play selection comes into play. Attack with the shovel pass, run a TRUE option play a la 1990's, mis-direction, toss sweeps. Anything but the zone read, reading off of Miller.

Watson has limited say in who he wants on his staff. He has wanted more than one coach off this staff for a while, but neither has happened. So blaming a coach for being under him, who clearly cannot do his job, does not fall on him. Although it should be blatantly clear by now to those who actually DO make those decisions, that this coach needs removed.

I wasn't until tonight. Like I said, I've been a big fan of the work he's done, but any OC worth his salt, should know the best way to attack a 3-4 blitzing front is to line up in Double TE sets. That way, it turns into a numbers game up front; just like military tactic, you take your strong point, put up against their weak point, and push through.

I don't think there's any way you can blame Watson for failing to develop Cody Green. Green has just not panned out so far, and part of that is his fault, and part of that is the situation (not being able to redshirt when he needed to).

Because Watson's work bringing along Taylor as a quarterback has been nothing short of impressive.

The staff obviously has no faith at all in Green, which is a little puzzling and I wonder if that affects Cody's performance. I really think Bo getting right in Cody's face after calling a timeout (with 5 or 6 ticks left on the playclock no less), contributed both to the miscue the OL had the next play with the penalty, as well as Cody's awful forced throw that was intercepted two plays later.

I didn't pay attention the entire game, but I saw some nice playcalling from Watson today. There were a couple of shots we took downfield where we really had 'em. Unfortunately, our QB didn't deliver, but it was a good shot to take. That play where Niles had to lay out just a little bit comes to mind, as does McNeil's sideline tiptoe catch. Saw some really good use of our TEs tonight. And the quickslants really had them, except twice (at least) we saw the ball glance off the receiver's hands. Second time, I think may have been on Kinnie, and the first was a mixture of Paul not making the big adjustment and Taylor not leading him.

I also thought we played some of our ridiculous 3rd and longs smartly. We saw some screens and shovel passes today (for those who have been calling for these for a long time), and some safe plays on 3rd and long turned 3rd and 44 into 4th and 33, and 3rd and 17 into 4th and 6, respectively. That's big, for field position, which is almost what you are playing for when you get into a bad situation like that.

Obviously we were not clicking on all cylinders, but our #1 QB was really hobbled even before being knocked out and coming back later, and our #3 (Cody) did not play very well consistently. Not to mention the ridiculous penalties that really hurt us.

I don't think there's any way you can blame Watson for failing to develop Cody Green. Green has just not panned out so far, and part of that is his fault, and part of that is the situation (not being able to redshirt when he needed to).

Because Watson's work bringing along Taylor as a quarterback has been nothing short of impressive.

You can't at once deflect blame from Watson for Green's development AND credit him for Martinez's development. He coaches both of them. He's either responsible for both of them, or for neither one.

You can't at once deflect blame from Watson for Green's development AND credit him for Martinez's development. He coaches both of them. He's either responsible for both of them, or for neither one.

Well said. And frankly, I think you could get away with pinning Green's lack of development on Watson while simultaneously refusing to give Watson credit for Martinez. How?

Because the things that make Martinez special are clearly natural abilities. It's basically his speed. He is very raw. In fact, the more the season progresses---that is to say, the more he seems to work with Watson---the worse Martinez is. When was the last time he ran for a TD? K State?

Unless of course, different players react differently to coaching.

Both are projects. Watson obviously succeeded with one, and it's clear the strides that Taylor has made. Green has also made strides, but not put it together.

I don't get what you are saying. Are we not allowed to credit Bo and Carl's development of a guy like Suh, because a guy like Ankrah or one of the other young DEs is struggling to show anything? Or Sanders with developing Prince and O'Hanlon and Asante, because of Thenarse's struggles?

Watson's work with Taylor is obvious; Taylor did not get where he is in the passing game without it. It has all the potential in the world to be a beautiful pairing of QB coach and extremely gifted QB. Obviously, not every QB who comes through these doors are going to achieve the same results.

I'm on the fence with Watson (which generally turns into defending him on this board, since the popular opinion is the opposite), and still am after tonight. Looking strictly at the play-calling and offensive production tonight, and also not knowing what successes and failures can actually be attributed to Watson and not something or someone else, I would give him a C grade. We did some nice things, even with a 3rd string quarterback for nearly a half, killed ourselves with penalties, didn't execute entirely well and were in a position to win.