Compile Greatest NU v CU Moments

ESPY

I enjoyed watching the "scoring explosion" in '83 put up 48 third quarter points on CU. It was 14-12 at halftime and then Gill and Co. took off. :bigredn: Final score was 69-19 Big Red.

I also enjoyed the game back in the 70's when Johnny the Jet ran a punt back for a TD. My cousin was the deep snapper for CU at the time. Fun rubbing it in how he missed a tackle on Johnny that day. :hellloooo

24-7 win in Lincoln 1994. I believe we were #3 and CU, led by Heisman front-runner Kordell Stewart, was #2. Schlesinger scores the 1st TD, Berringer leads the rest of the way and the Blackshirts nearly shutout the Heisman hopeful. Huge statement game.

I was at the 99 game and that was one of the craziest ever. I really wish I remember more of the details. Colorado came into the 4th down by 24... stormed back to tie it for what would've been the biggest fourth quarter comeback in Big 8/12 history I believe, and had a chance to win it in regulation with a fairly easy FG. The kicker choked, and we pulled ourselves together in OT to win. Unreal.

The 2000 game didn't quite match it, but it came close. Polk's TD return and spike was pretty great. Hard to imagine better back-to-back games in any series since the NU-OU glory days.

1998 game in Lincoln. Easily the worst weather I've experienced at any home game. Freezing rain, gusty winds, ice hanging from nose....you get the picture. Thank goodness we pulled out a messy 16-14 win to make us all feel like the effort was worthwhile.

Of course the best part of that day was putting drenched clothes into drier and putting them back on hot and fresh an hour later, and just in time to head to Holdrege to hang out with the rest of the fam for Thanksgiving weekend. Priceless.

24-7 win in Lincoln 1994. I believe we were #3 and CU, led by Heisman front-runner Kordell Stewart, was #2. Schlesinger scores the 1st TD, Berringer leads the rest of the way and the Blackshirts nearly shutout the Heisman hopeful. Huge statement game.

I really wish I could have been at this one. Isn't this the game that is at the top of the 'loudest'/'best' crowds? And didn't we hold them 0-?? on third downs?

I'll have to get back to you on that one, nebraskapit.

Meanwhile I feel the need to mention Calvin Jones' big night when we entered that Halloween homecoming game sharing a #8 ranking with the Buffs. A 52-7 win put all that shared ranking business to rest.

I would have to say the 1992 game was my favorite Colorado memory. We were late getting into the stadium because of the weather and the Huskers were already down near the CU goal line by the time we got into our seats. It was miserable, cold, rainy weather, but the crowd was rocking all night long and the Buffs were confounded by a dominating Husker performance.

My favorite individual play was (I think) in the 1994 game when the Buffs ran a designed QB draw. The line opened up this great big hole and Kordell broke forward for the run - only to have his knees buckle as Terry Connealy came around on a line stunt. Connealy broke through like the avenging angel of death, ran at Kordell with arms spread wide and blew that kid up. Just loved that play.

Damn, that poor kid weeping says it all.

I worked with a young girl who had atended CU. When she found out I was from Nebraska the first words out her her mouth was "The Lincoln Assassination." I looked at her quizzically. And she said it was what they called the 92(?) game when they came in highly ranked and Nebraska just slaughtered them.

The other great memory I have is bittersweet. The 2001 game where they beat us handily (thanks Craig Bohl)but then we end up going to the Rose bowl for the championship game. I guess a bunch of their fans had already bought tickets and made reservations even. Remember that old American Express commercial? PRICELESS! It was almost worth the embarrassment we suffered in those games.

Man just looking at this thread makes me understand why they hate us so HA-HA!

So I'm gonna end this thread with an old joke most of you've heard:

A Colorado Family decides to go to the mall one day. While there the young son picks up a Nebraska Jersey, and holds it up to his chest. He turns to his older sister and says "Look! I'm a Cornhusker fan!." His sister promptly slaps him across his face and says "Tell Mom what you just told me!" So the boy goes to his mother and says "Look! I'm a Cornhusker fan!." His mother promptly slaps him across his face and says "Tell your father what you just told me!" So the boy goes to his father and says "Look! I'm a Cornhusker fan!." His father promptly slaps him across his face and they then leave. While driving home his father says, "Well I hoped you learned something." "I sure did" said the boy, "I've been a Cornhusker fan for under an hour and I already hate you a$$holes for Colorado."

Throw me in with ESPY and knapplc. The Halloween Massacre of '92 was awesome. Night game, big time hype, coming off that crappy 19-19 tie the year before, hadn't beaten them since '88, and then the ass kicking commenced. Watched the game in Ft. Collins and the next morning the headline read NIGHT OF THE LIVING RED, that was a classic.

The great moments listed above are also most of my fondest.

The other ones that stick out for me are the 2007 game where two college kids played the game on Playstation obviously with the numbers that were put up in the 65-51 loss. This cemented Clownahan's fate and the fate of the retarded idea of wearing all white uniforms.

My other memory is the 1990 game. It was my first with my dad. It was pouring rain. Guys were hydroplaning down the astroturf(yes a Necessary Roughness reference) and everything was soaked. NU is up 12 nothing going to the fourth and then Eric friggin Bienemy and Darian friggin Hagan go ape and sCUm runs off 27 unanswered. It really sticks to me cause my dad told his 10 year old son he was sorry about the game. Something he couldn't control, but thought it ruined my first Memorial Stadium experience. Never will forget that.

I was in jr high when my great-aunt died, my father said that the funeral would be 1 o'clock Saturday afternoon. I said "Da-ad, that's when the Colorado game is on TV." The funeral got moved up to 11, but the reception lasted into the game. I ran back and forth from my aunt's house to the reception giving updates. It was a big deal, it was the first of only three televised games all year. CU finished third behind NU and CU. Both in conference and NATIONALLY. That was 1971

'05 was really a pleasant surprise for me. CU had the North tied up, so maybe they were on cruise control, but I definitely didn't expect the utter domination we displayed the whole game. After a timultuous season and barely squeaking by KSU, the Huskers come out and Zac Taylor is in the zone, as is Cory Ross.

A high school friend of mine, Adam Ickes, also had a great game at LB along with the rest of the Blackshirts, so I was happy to see that.

Like many, I never really liked Callahan, but I gotta say I respect how things went during that particular game (and the win over Michigan in the bowl). For a brief period there, it looked like Nebraska was going to find their way back to relevance again. Just had to wait until...this year, I guess?

Hi Everyone First time poster here and yes I AM a Buffs fan

The games in 1999 and 2000 although the Buffs came up short on both of those occasions, those were GREAT football games for both sides. I was on the edge of my seat (those games were during my freshman and sophomore high school years) and although we lost both games I respected the N for the hard fought contests.

Of course as a BUFF fan 2001 will always be special but the 2 games before that were better in the sense that they were close, competitive and well-played by both teams.

I am very sad that we will not play each other every year, but a CU vs. NU Rose Bowl a long shot it may be, would be awesome.

So here is to one last great game for this series on friday and GO BUFFS

Tommy