My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

So with what you are saying are you blaming the 2009 season on Watson? Is he to blame for what happened to our squad that year? Is he also to blame for TMart's injury as well?

To an extent, yes. Watson gets some major blame for last year. Guess what, quarterbacks go down on many teams across the nation. Good OCs can game plan around what they have, get creative, find ways to SCORE. Last I checked, NU has two very capable running backs. Shawn rode Rex down into field goal range Saturday, then what did he do? Asked a hobbled qb to throw the ball. Turnover, no points. You blaming the lack of production on ONE injury is only proving the point of Watson-haters: he can't do anything without Taylor Martinez. That is not being a good OC. Bo can throw any guy out there, coach him up and put together a winning product. Watson can't. You just said that yourself.

Do you have an example of this? I sure can't think of one.

EZ-E.....are you serious about #6??

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I will ask you the same question bshirt, Was 2009 ALL Watson's fault? Is TMart getting hurt his fault too? You would agree that the improvement between our offense in 2009 and this year with TMart were night and day? Right?

Of course not. But EZ-E......he's the "OC". You know, the guy who is responsible for results. The results stunk to high heaven last year and has the year several times too. My God, EZ-E....

Offensive production the last two years.

VT = zero TDs

TT = one garbage TD

Iowa St = one TD

OU = one TD (1 yd dr due to pick)

Texas = zero TDs

2010 (so far)

SDSU = two Tds

Texas = zero Tds

Kansas = two Tds

TAM = zero Tds

....you're seriously defending that? If so, we can totally forget about ever being in the NC hunt and if Bo's defense ever does anything less than fantastic we're back to the Callahan years.

• Fire 1

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I will ask you the same question bshirt, Was 2009 ALL Watson's fault? Is TMart getting hurt his fault too? You would agree that the improvement between our offense in 2009 and this year with TMart were night and day? Right?

Of course not. But EZ-E......he's the "OC". You know, the guy who is responsible for results. The results stunk to high heaven last year and has the year several times too. My God, EZ-E....

VT = zero TDs

TT = one garbage TD

Iowa St = one TD

Texas = zero TDs

2010 (so far)

SDSU = two Tds

Texas = zero Tds

Kansas = two Tds

TAM = zero Tds

....you're seriously defending that? If so, we can totally forget about ever being in the NC hunt and if Bo's defense ever does anything less than fantastic we're back to the Callahan years.

This pretty much sums it up.

On Watson: the problem is his offense goes from great to absolutely nothing without Martinez with nothing in between. Everything is disorderly. They commit an absurd amount of penalties. There is no depth at QB. They are entirely feast or famine. And, most importantly, we have a long track record of his offense putting up zero touchdowns in big games. Unacceptable. It's okay to lose 24-17, but if you can't muster a touchdown with some regularity, there are systemic issues with how you run things. The excuses run dry after awhile.

As for Carl and especially Bo, their track record is impeccable. To compare the two is to obfuscate the discussion into nonsense. If Watson had a poor showing once a season, that would be one thing. When he has an entire season of them (2009) and so far four more this season, you have a pattern of poor performance that only gets worse when you dig into the stats. I said it earlier this season: when the defense in question is nearly worst in the nation at something, Watson is a genius. If they're pretty good across the board, our numbers don't just drop––they plummet. Even the Missouri game was lackluster with the exception of the first quarter. Again, feast or famine.

Put another way, Watson does very little to inspire confidence from the fanbase.

:laughpound:

Zach Lee was a very capable back-up pre-injury.

So the 2009 season is Watson's fault?

Is he? We haven't seen him unload on many good defenses.

The '09 season was a freak thing unto itself with injuries, but is offense wizzing down its leg goes back to the '08 season as well. What you seem to blissfully ignore is that our offense has stunk up the place twice with a fully healthy Martinez, and has been completely unable to adjust to life without him, which is a surprise considering that we have one of the all time leading rushers on the team as we speak, plus a more than serviceable backup.

Many teams lose their QB for a time or for a season. Not many eek out a living like we do. See the Oregon Ducks.

What two games are you refering to?

SDSU and Texas.

I don't know if i'd call the difference massive, a decent difference, sure, massive? No

Scoring Offense- 40th average

2010- 28th

2009- 75th

2008- 17th

Scoring Defense- 28th average

2010- 3rd

2009- 1st

2008- 80th

• Fire 1

VT = zero TDs

TT = one garbage TD

Iowa St = one TD

Texas = zero TDs

2010 (so far)

SDSU = two Tds

Texas = zero Tds

Kansas = two Tds

TAM = zero Tds

How can you pick out 4 games (2 wins) and say the offensive production in 2010 was a bust? That is some pretty sly politics.

So with what you are saying are you blaming the 2009 season on Watson? Is he to blame for what happened to our squad that year? Is he also to blame for TMart's injury as well?

To an extent, yes. Watson gets some major blame for last year. Guess what, quarterbacks go down on many teams across the nation. Good OCs can game plan around what they have, get creative, find ways to SCORE. Last I checked, NU has two very capable running backs. Shawn rode Rex down into field goal range Saturday, then what did he do? Asked a hobbled qb to throw the ball. Turnover, no points. You blaming the lack of production on ONE injury is only proving the point of Watson-haters: he can't do anything without Taylor Martinez. That is not being a good OC. Bo can throw any guy out there, coach him up and put together a winning product. Watson can't. You just said that yourself.

Do you have an example of this? I sure can't think of one.

You have no idea how banged up we were on offense in 2009. I can think of an example of an OC gameplanning around his best QBs set of skills as well :). Watson and Zach Lee had a few pretty good looking drives going in that UT game only for them to end in a WR dropping the ball. So he can do it with other players, just not with third string QBs that drastically hamper the number of plays that can be called.

Teams that lose QBs and seem to still move the ball

Texas AM

How did Washington and Zona do when their QBs went down? i have no idea off the top of my head.

Northwestern, they just scored liek 35 points with their backup.

Not sure of any others and I dont even know now how those teams did. I was just tossing out some. Didnt the Ducks lose a QB for a game this year?

VT = zero TDs

TT = one garbage TD

Iowa St = one TD

Texas = zero TDs

2010 (so far)

SDSU = two Tds

Texas = zero Tds

Kansas = two Tds

TAM = zero Tds

How can you pick out 4 games (2 wins) and say the offensive production in 2010 was a bust? That is some pretty sly politics.

We put up 56 on Wash. Oregon 53? Same defense.

VT = zero TDs

TT = one garbage TD

Iowa St = one TD

Texas = zero TDs

2010 (so far)

SDSU = two Tds

Texas = zero Tds

Kansas = two Tds

TAM = zero Tds

This pretty much sums it up.

It is interesting the type of backlash that I have created by simply saying that we do not hold Bo and Carl to the same standard as we hold Watson to.

Two of the games that you mentioned above we won Bshirt; the Texas game. Was that really Watson's fault? I seem to remember several key drops. That would be like blaming Carl Pelini for Thenarse missing tackles.

Kansas- it was very clear we had zero interest in running up the score on Turner Gill.

TAM- I am not going to place blame solely on Watson where it seems a lot of you have.

Watson can never seem to win here with the fans. He never will. It will always be all his fault.

Bshirt- I can easily name games that our defense was less than stellar in and not a single person blamed Pelini. Not one.

Teams that lose QBs and seem to still move the ball

Texas AM

How did Washington and Zona do when their QBs went down? i have no idea off the top of my head.

Northwestern, they just scored liek 35 points with their backup.

Not sure of any others and I dont even know now how those teams did. I was just tossing out some. Didnt the Ducks lose a QB for a game this year?

We are playing with our backup's backup.