My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

I get the sense that some feel that Bo has absolutely nothing to do with the offense... Blame Watson all you want, but Bo is the Head Coach, he is in charge, and I would bet that most of the final decisions including game plans come down to Bo. If not then I would want to know why the hell the Head Coach is not doing anything about the offense? To put the blame all on Watsons' shoulder is dumb

:thumbs

I have been saying this for the last 3 years. Don't worry it will fall on deaf ears because it doesn't help with the "Watson Hate". <_<

I get the sense that some feel that Bo has absolutely nothing to do with the offense... Blame Watson all you want, but Bo is the Head Coach, he is in charge, and I would bet that most of the final decisions including game plans come down to Bo. If not then I would want to know why the hell the Head Coach is not doing anything about the offense? To put the blame all on Watsons' shoulder is dumb

I have been saying this for the last 3 years. Don't worry it will fall on deaf ears because it doesn't help with the "Watson Hate". <_<

:facepalm:

Bo is ultimately responsible for everything about this football team. He is not responsible for every piece of minutiae that happens on a second-to-second basis. He is NOT a playcaller on offense. He will give input, but he does not call plays on a down-by-down basis, nor should he be expected to - he's a defensive coach. He is not an offensive expert. That is why he retained Watson - that's Watson's milieu.

Bo's level of responsibility over the offense will be seen in the broader, long-term actions he takes. His job is to analyze the performance of his coaches and make adjustments accordingly, but he cannot be expected to do that in the middle of the season, nor can he be expected to make major changes (OC, Asst. Head Coach) so soon after he was hired.

I will guarantee that if our offensive production does not improve, if our overall preparedness doesn't improve, and if our ability to effectively build depth does not improve, then heads will roll. If you're scoring at home, your pencil should be hovering over the O Line and WR coach's positions. Those moves will be made, appropriately, AFTER the season. Bo cannot do anything about it now, and expecting him to is unrealistic.

The sad thing that I see happening to this fan base is that people have given up focusing on the team, and instead have individual loyalties to certain players/coaches. A glaring example last year was the Cody Green love-fest. Another glaring example is the "Shawn Watson can do no wrong" crowd. At some point you have to look soberly at the facts of the situation and stop making excuses.

• Fire 1

Bo is ultimately responsible for everything about this football team. He is not responsible for every piece of minutiae that happens on a second-to-second basis. He is NOT a playcaller on offense. He will give input, but he does not call plays on a down-by-down basis, nor should he be expected to - he's a defensive coach. He is not an offensive expert. That is why he retained Watson - that's Watson's milieu.

Bo's level of responsibility over the offense will be seen in the broader, long-term actions he takes. His job is to analyze the performance of his coaches and make adjustments accordingly, but he cannot be expected to do that in the middle of the season, nor can he be expected to make major changes (OC, Asst. Head Coach) so soon after he was hired.

I will guarantee that if our offensive production does not improve, if our overall preparedness doesn't improve, and if our ability to effectively build depth does not improve, then heads will roll. If you're scoring at home, your pencil should be hovering over the O Line and WR coach's positions. Those moves will be made, appropriately, AFTER the season. Bo cannot do anything about it now, and expecting him to is unrealistic.

The sad thing that I see happening to this fan base is that people have given up focusing on the team, and instead have individual loyalties to certain players/coaches. A glaring example last year was the Cody Green love-fest. Another glaring example is the "Shawn Watson can do no wrong" crowd. At some point you have to look soberly at the facts of the situation and stop making excuses.

This.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Osborne have a similar role as a head coach that Bo does? The obvious exception would be that T.O. focused more-so on the offense than the defense.

not arguing, but you have got to be kidding me if Bo does not have some sort of role on this offense. Its ok for him to be the defensive guy right? So why do we need Carl?(hypothetically) It makes no sense that some believe that bottom line the offense is all Watsons fault. Not sticking up for Watson entirely, but at the same time I guess I don't know what else all of you want the guy to do? Everyone was quick to burn Callahan for the defensive struggles, when he was the offensive guy, so is this situation not somewhat reversed?

I’m not saying Bo has anything to do with the play calling on offense but you better believe he has a hand in the offensive game plan and what personal sees the field. If he doesn’t then he shouldn’t be a Head Coach in charge of a WHOLE football team not just one side of the ball.

You're completely delusional. Osborne didn't call plays and call defensive alignments. Neither did the Bobfather, Callahan, nor Solich. There is a huge difference between having input on both sides of the ball and having in-game expertise on both sides of the ball.

Nor did I say Bo has zero input. The gameplan is not what's being called out here - it's the preparation of the individual units and the in-game calls that are being questioned, neither of which Bo has direct control over. The job of the Head Coach is not to micromanage every facet of the game. Pretending the offense's lack of production is Bo's fault is to intentionally misdirect blame from where it belongs - Watson and the position coaches.

Here is the thing. If ISU can put up points and yards on a very good defense like NU, then why cant Watson ever put up points and yards on good defenses?

See, thats what people want to know. I am more of a Watson hater then I am a fan. But the question remains, you would admit that NU has a good defense, even this year, it is very salty, right? Top 15 or 20 in point allowed? Well then, How come ISU can find away to score 30 points but Watson can't ever seem to do that vs defenses that are not even ranked/rated as high as NU's?

There is the issue, watson cant seem to get big plays vs good defenses. Why not? Why can ISU do that, why will CU find away to have 3 or 4 plays of over 20 yards on Friday while watson will probably only have 1 or 2?

There is a flaw with your argument when using ISU as an example. You have to remember that 14 points came off of two turnovers and they had one scoring drive that started on their side of the 50, they also scored 6 in OT. So there are other things that factor into how ISU scored 30 on us and it is not because their offensive strategy was superior.

that other factor being...that the offense repeatedly shoots this team in the foot, in multiple ways. the number of turnovers we have this year is disgusting. offensive production is more often a facepalm than an attaboy.

how many offensive coordinators would kill to have the blackshirts?

something is not working here, at it rears its face on offense moreso than defense and special teams. i said it in another thread: whatever the dynamic is between Bo and Watson and who does what, its not working, and the results show on Watsons charges. I cant help but think one should probably go, and you can bet your ass it isnt going to be Bo.

not arguing, but you have got to be kidding me if Bo does not have some sort of role on this offense. Its ok for him to be the defensive guy right? So why do we need Carl?(hypothetically) It makes no sense that some believe that bottom line the offense is all Watsons fault. Not sticking up for Watson entirely, but at the same time I guess I don't know what else all of you want the guy to do? Everyone was quick to burn Callahan for the defensive struggles, when he was the offensive guy, so is this situation not somewhat reversed?

I'll ask you the same thing I asked zoogies - what is Watson responsible for? Several people want to deflect blame from Watson to Bo, to the position coaches and to the players. Which buck stops at Watson's desk? What should we reasonably expect from the OC?

I hope this is true, but what makes you think it will happen? There are obvious longstanding coaching issues that have not been addressed. Some people have claimed that Watson has already requested a change and been denied in the past.

If the offense is as stagnant as I predict it's going to be over the next couple weeks, the excuses have officially run out. We have talent at a lot of positions, and experience, and depth. Not scoring touchdowns is a reflection of coaching failure. It's that simple.

I hope this is true, but what makes you think it will happen? There are obvious longstanding coaching issues that have not been addressed. Some people have claimed that Watson has already requested a change and been denied in the past.

If the offense is as stagnant as I predict it's going to be over the next couple weeks, the excuses have officially run out. We have talent at a lot of positions, and experience, and depth. Not scoring touchdowns is a reflection of coaching failure. It's that simple.

To be completely honest, I guarded my words a bit there. Notice I said "...those moves will be made after the season..." and not "after this season." I don't suspect that Bo will make a move only three seasons into his tenure. I believe that this will happen at some point, or that certain coaches will "find other opportunities," but not now. If we can anyone, it'll be another season or two from now.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked zoogies - what is Watson responsible for? Several people want to deflect blame from Watson to Bo, to the position coaches and to the players. Which buck stops at Watson's desk? What should we reasonably expect from the OC?

Knapp, it just seems like you make the whole coaching staff have a big line divided in the middle. The talent is not playing up to the potential, that is the PROBLEM. At the same time though it seems like Bo gets the pass on all this, when he is in charge, that is my argument. If the D goes to crap and the offense gets better does he get a pass too?

edit: most of my frustration is the coaching carousel that goes on now, nobody knows, but what offensive genius would we get to come to NU anyway? I think we got lucky with the Defensive guy we got to turn it around on that side of the ball. :thumbs

Knapp, it just seems like you make the whole coaching staff have a big line divided in the middle. The talent is not playing up to the potential, that is the PROBLEM. At the same time though it seems like Bo gets the pass on all this, when he is in charge, that is my argument. If the D goes to crap and the offense gets better does he get a pass too?

What? How does this answer the questions I asked? :dunno

Bo does NOT get a pass on anything. Bo has been called out for his behavior like 100 times since this game, and Lord knows how many times over the past couple of years. 2008 was a heyday for ripping on Bo's demeanor. And no, Bo will not get a pass if his defense goes to pot. He's got playmakers all over the field. If his defense starts hemorrhaging points on a regular basis, he's going to face the same heat - in fact, probably more, since he's the Head Coach and he preaches responsibility.

But that's a "what if" scenario that we don't have to deal with right now. Right now we have an offensive unit that has scored two touchdowns in six meaningful games. Putting this on Bo's plate is deflecting blame from the people who are responsible for in-game playcalling and for developing talent in practice.

While Green may be a 3rd string quarterback he is far from it. What i mean is Green started games last year when Lee wasn't hurt. It's not like he has never played in a game before the Iowa St game. From a traditional sense he is not a 3rd string quarterback at all. 3rd string qb's never take a snap in a game if the team even has one.

Green's situation is really just FUBAR. If he comes in here with 3 stars or 2 stars it is a completely different view of him, and consequently, of his QB coach.

Complete project at QB, projected to be a WR/TE in college, but we tried to make him a QB through and through. Needed him to burn his redshirt after Witt transferred and Spano went down again, or else he would have been our fourth QB, redshirting, last year, instead of next-in-line. And of course, he was kept off the field for most of the year even with our starter ailing with a throwing arm injury that was limiting him severely.

That lack of redshirt year threw back Cody's development. I'm honestly baffled as to why he didn't redshirt this year, because he needed it and he still needs it. He's the kind of player that always was going to take a while to develop and hasn't been able to just stop, breathe, and work on that. If what you're trying to say is Cody isn't a typical 3rd string QB, you might be right, because typical 3rd string QBs on most teams are probably quarterbacks and not still-developing athletes. If you mean he is better than the typical third string, I think that's mistaken. Even this year, he would be #4 with a healthy Spano, IMO. OFC, Spano's career is ruined.

What i was trying to say is Green has more knowledge and experience than a typical 3rd stringer.