My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

Here is the thing. If ISU can put up points and yards on a very good defense like NU, then why cant Watson ever put up points and yards on good defenses?

See, thats what people want to know. I am more of a Watson hater then I am a fan. But the question remains, you would admit that NU has a good defense, even this year, it is very salty, right? Top 15 or 20 in point allowed? Well then, How come ISU can find away to score 30 points but Watson can't ever seem to do that vs defenses that are not even ranked/rated as high as NU's?

There is the issue, watson cant seem to get big plays vs good defenses. Why not? Why can ISU do that, why will CU find away to have 3 or 4 plays of over 20 yards on Friday while watson will probably only have 1 or 2?

There is a flaw with your argument when using ISU as an example. You have to remember that 14 points came off of two turnovers and they had one scoring drive that started on their side of the 50, they also scored 6 in OT. So there are other things that factor into how ISU scored 30 on us and it is not because their offensive strategy was superior.

Well, thats not a flaw, its called the breaks of the game. Its all part of it, saying its a flaw is like saying that you can only count drives that start at your own 20.Its not like ISu got the ball at the one yard line.

Look, you can use any game you want, but you see it every week, a good defense, plays a bad offense and the bad offense goes off for a really good game. Why? Why can't Watson do it when he plays a good defense?

Here is the thing. If ISU can put up points and yards on a very good defense like NU, then why cant Watson ever put up points and yards on good defenses?

See, thats what people want to know. I am more of a Watson hater then I am a fan. But the question remains, you would admit that NU has a good defense, even this year, it is very salty, right? Top 15 or 20 in point allowed? Well then, How come ISU can find away to score 30 points but Watson can't ever seem to do that vs defenses that are not even ranked/rated as high as NU's?

There is the issue, watson cant seem to get big plays vs good defenses. Why not? Why can ISU do that, why will CU find away to have 3 or 4 plays of over 20 yards on Friday while watson will probably only have 1 or 2?

I think it is ignorant to give so much credit or so much blame on the coaches. The players play the game. The coaches do not have joysticks to get the players to do exactly what they want, when they want, and how they want. I bet if you asked the players none of them would blame the coaches for the losses. Poorly coached teams are just trying to become bowl eligible. Well coached teams are one win away from the Big 12 Championship game. The Huskers are a very well coached football team. The players have to take it upon themselves if they want to turn the corner and be a great team.

• Fire 1

There is a flaw with your argument when using ISU as an example. You have to remember that 14 points came off of two turnovers and they had one scoring drive that started on their side of the 50, they also scored 6 in OT. So there are other things that factor into how ISU scored 30 on us and it is not because their offensive strategy was superior.

We got the ball around the 50 quite a few times against A&M and still managed 6 points. Nice try though. And don't say it's because Martinez was gimpy. Us without Martinez should still be better with ISU.

Yes, playing our THIRD string QB against a decently talented ranked team on the road facing all types of adversity should still be just as lights out as a full strength very inspired team playing on their homecoming(IIRC).

Did we get as many take-aways as ISU did in that game? No. That is Bo's fault. (I hope you all see what I am doing here)

Did A&M GIVE us the ball in the redzone like Niles Paul did? Not a chance. I would hope that any team when given the ball on the 20 could score.

I know that personally, each game I watch, go to, I never worry about the defense. I know that even if they start off bad that the proper adjustments will (almost) always be made. They always seem one step ahead or at the very least they always seem to have a way to counter somethin. Well, maybe not always but most of the time.

With the offense, I feel like that if Watsons first plan doesnt work that the chance of anything good happening are slim to none.

On Watson: the problem is his offense goes from great to absolutely nothing without Martinez with nothing in between. Everything is disorderly. They commit an absurd amount of penalties. There is no depth at QB. They are entirely feast or famine. And, most importantly, we have a long track record of his offense putting up zero touchdowns in big games. Unacceptable. It's okay to lose 24-17, but if you can't muster a touchdown with some regularity, there are systemic issues with how you run things. The excuses run dry after awhile.

As for Carl and especially Bo, their track record is impeccable. To compare the two is to obfuscate the discussion into nonsense. If Watson had a poor showing once a season, that would be one thing. When he has an entire season of them (2009) and so far four more this season, you have a pattern of poor performance that only gets worse when you dig into the stats. I said it earlier this season: when the defense in question is nearly worst in the nation at something, Watson is a genius. If they're pretty good across the board, our numbers don't just drop––they plummet. Even the Missouri game was lackluster with the exception of the first quarter. Again, feast or famine.

Put another way, Watson does very little to inspire confidence from the fanbase.

:laughpound:

Zach Lee was a very capable back-up pre-injury.

So the 2009 season is Watson's fault?

Is he? We haven't seen him unload on many good defenses.

The '09 season was a freak thing unto itself with injuries, but is offense wizzing down its leg goes back to the '08 season as well. What you seem to blissfully ignore is that our offense has stunk up the place twice with a fully healthy Martinez, and has been completely unable to adjust to life without him, which is a surprise considering that we have one of the all time leading rushers on the team as we speak, plus a more than serviceable backup.

Many teams lose their QB for a time or for a season. Not many eek out a living like we do. See the Oregon Ducks.

• Fire 1

EZ-E.....are you serious about #6??

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I will ask you the same question bshirt, Was 2009 ALL Watson's fault? Is TMart getting hurt his fault too? You would agree that the improvement between our offense in 2009 and this year with TMart were night and day? Right?

On Watson: the problem is his offense goes from great to absolutely nothing without Martinez with nothing in between. Everything is disorderly. They commit an absurd amount of penalties. There is no depth at QB. They are entirely feast or famine. And, most importantly, we have a long track record of his offense putting up zero touchdowns in big games. Unacceptable. It's okay to lose 24-17, but if you can't muster a touchdown with some regularity, there are systemic issues with how you run things. The excuses run dry after awhile.

As for Carl and especially Bo, their track record is impeccable. To compare the two is to obfuscate the discussion into nonsense. If Watson had a poor showing once a season, that would be one thing. When he has an entire season of them (2009) and so far four more this season, you have a pattern of poor performance that only gets worse when you dig into the stats. I said it earlier this season: when the defense in question is nearly worst in the nation at something, Watson is a genius. If they're pretty good across the board, our numbers don't just drop––they plummet. Even the Missouri game was lackluster with the exception of the first quarter. Again, feast or famine.

Put another way, Watson does very little to inspire confidence from the fanbase.

:laughpound:

Zach Lee was a very capable back-up pre-injury.

So the 2009 season is Watson's fault?

Is he? We haven't seen him unload on many good defenses.

The '09 season was a freak thing unto itself with injuries, but is offense wizzing down its leg goes back to the '08 season as well. What you seem to blissfully ignore is that our offense has stunk up the place twice with a fully healthy Martinez, and has been completely unable to adjust to life without him, which is a surprise considering that we have one of the all time leading rushers on the team as we speak, plus a more than serviceable backup.

Many teams lose their QB for a time or for a season. Not many eek out a living like we do. See the Oregon Ducks.

What two games are you refering to?

I have tried to make it a rule for myself that I wait 24 hours to post after a game like this one. None of this is a rant, it is all my honest opinion.

In no particular order of importance:

1) The Big Twelve Conference, The University of Texas A&M, Dan Beebe, Mike Sherman, and the officiating crew should all be embarassed about what happened on Saturday night. That was a disgrace and anyone with eyes can see what happened on that football field that night. You cannot tell me that Texas A&M did not hold a single time; and that is just one example.

2) Bo Pelini, we all knew that this was typical of Bo Pelini when Osborne hired him. I do not agree with everything that happened, but I do not disagree with it either. I am actually quite indifferent. If we had won the game would our fanbase be divided?

3) Ben Cotton, I would not have only kicked at that kid, I would have made damn sure that I hit him. We will see what Dan Beebe and the Big 12 decide to do about this incident because a precident was set last year with the Spikes kid from Florida with the eye gouging incident. There has to be some sort of consequence for committing a crime that is punishable by law on the football field. We will see though.

4) Courtney Osborne, nothing to hang your head about young man. There was nothing on that particular play that called for a roughing the passer penalty.

5) The officiating crew, if this were a real conference you would all be suspended indefinatly. You just eased any doubts that I had about us moving to the Big 10. Thank you.

6) The Fire-Watson camp, I am done with all of you. We hold Watson to a much more higher standard than Bo and Carl. When we play poorly, it is all his fault. When we play well, it is no thanks to him. When we gave up 30 to ISU Carl was not called out as much as Watson. When Okie State scored 41 on us Carl Pelini was not held accountable. But when arguably the most important person on our offense gets hurt and can't perform to full potential it is Watson's fault. How fair is that? If you are going to hold Watson to a high standard you have to hold Bo and Carl to the same standard. But I guess that they are untouchable.

its the complete lack of consistency on offense that i don't particularly care for. the defense is pretty consistent in shutting down opponents, much more so than the offense. they are going to have games where we could obviously do better. however, without t-mart coming along, our offense would be the exact same as it was in '09. while he's been injured we are seeing the same or worse offensive performance as we had last year. this is rediculous and unacceptable. we have great talent on offense but can't focus and put it together. if they had great games most of the time and only a few hiccups every now and then, i wouldn't care.

We got the ball around the 50 quite a few times against A&M and still managed 6 points. Nice try though. And don't say it's because Martinez was gimpy. Us without Martinez should still be better with ISU.

Yes, playing our THIRD string QB against a decently talented ranked team on the road facing all types of adversity should still be just as lights out as a full strength very inspired team playing on their homecoming(IIRC).

Did we get as many take-aways as ISU did in that game? No. That is Bo's fault. (I hope you all see what I am doing here)

Did A&M GIVE us the ball in the redzone like Niles Paul did? Not a chance. I would hope that any team when given the ball on the 20 could score.

You're putting words in my mouth. I would have taken mediocre. That would have earned us 9 points instead of 6. I honestly don't understand how anyone can think that we can be a conference contender in the Big 10 with Watson running our offense. Our defense will keep us in every game, and once again, our offense gets worse as the year goes on, getting sloppier, less disciplined and more predictable. We will never win a Big 10 title as long as he's calling the plays. End of story.

I think it is ignorant to give so much credit or so much blame on the coaches. The players play the game. The coaches do not have joysticks to get the players to do exactly what they want, when they want, and how they want. I bet if you asked the players none of them would blame the coaches for the losses. Poorly coached teams are just trying to become bowl eligible. Well coached teams are one win away from the Big 12 Championship game. The Huskers are a very well coached football team. The players have to take it upon themselves if they want to turn the corner and be a great team.

You are not wrong, I have coached football for 10 years now, at many different levels, and you are not wrong. But, that being said, its the coaches that call the plays and set up the plan.

The QB play on this team is not good. NU can't pass. There are so many open WR's that don't get the ball it is sickening. The interception late in the 2nd QTr by Green. Helu was wide open in the flat, no one around him for 15 yards. Instead a throw to a double covered Mike McNeil.

Game over. That is just one pass play.

So with what you are saying are you blaming the 2009 season on Watson? Is he to blame for what happened to our squad that year? Is he also to blame for TMart's injury as well?

To an extent, yes. Watson gets some major blame for last year. Guess what, quarterbacks go down on many teams across the nation. Good OCs can game plan around what they have, get creative, find ways to SCORE. Last I checked, NU has two very capable running backs. Shawn rode Rex down into field goal range Saturday, then what did he do? Asked a hobbled qb to throw the ball. Turnover, no points. You blaming the lack of production on ONE injury is only proving the point of Watson-haters: he can't do anything without Taylor Martinez. That is not being a good OC. Bo can throw any guy out there, coach him up and put together a winning product. Watson can't. You just said that yourself.

The QB play on this team is not good. NU can't pass. There are so many open WR's that don't get the ball it is sickening. The interception late in the 2nd QTr by Green. Helu was wide open in the flat, no one around him for 15 yards. Instead a throw to a double covered Mike McNeil.

Game over. That is just one pass play.

He overthrew, the double coverage was loose. It was not a horrible read. Although I do wish the backs were utilized more in the passing game. Aggies found success against us rolling out the QB and back.