My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

This thread is mainly talking Watson's standards at this point and I didn't read too in depth outside of the OP.....but I wanted to make a point regarding #3.

No Suspension for Jerod-Eddie

A&M player remorseful; no suspension

Posted by: Curt McKeever on November 22, 2010 at 12:07PM CST

Yes, Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman has heard plenty about (and seen video of) Aggies defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie inappropriate in-the-pile activity involving Nebraska tight end Ben Cotton during a first-half play in Saturday's game when Nebraska fumbled.

Asked about that Monday, Sherman acknowledged that he had talked to Jerod-Eddie, whom he said was "extremely remorseful" for what transpired. Sherman also said he informed the junior that he never wanted to see that type of activity occur again . . . but that Jerod-Eddie would be in the lineup for Thursday's game against Texas.

Cotton, who drew a pair of 15-yard penalties for his reaction, was just asked to describe what transpired. Judging by his answer he has no lingering physical injury.

"Just trying to find his way to the football," Cotton said of what he thought Jerod-Eddie was trying to accomplish. ". . .What happened happened, and I'm just trying to move on."

Just the same, I can't help but wonder if Cotton has a secret desire that the Huskers and Aggies meet again in the Big 12 championship.

not arguing, but you have got to be kidding me if Bo does not have some sort of role on this offense. Its ok for him to be the defensive guy right? So why do we need Carl?(hypothetically) It makes no sense that some believe that bottom line the offense is all Watsons fault. Not sticking up for Watson entirely, but at the same time I guess I don't know what else all of you want the guy to do? Everyone was quick to burn Callahan for the defensive struggles, when he was the offensive guy, so is this situation not somewhat reversed?

I'll ask you the same thing I asked zoogies - what is Watson responsible for? Several people want to deflect blame from Watson to Bo, to the position coaches and to the players. Which buck stops at Watson's desk? What should we reasonably expect from the OC?

Knapp, it just seems like you make the whole coaching staff have a big line divided in the middle. The talent is not playing up to the potential, that is the PROBLEM. At the same time though it seems like Bo gets the pass on all this, when he is in charge, that is my argument. If the D goes to crap and the offense gets better does he get a pass too?

What? How does this answer the questions I asked? :dunno

Bo does NOT get a pass on anything. Bo has been called out for his behavior like 100 times since this game, and Lord knows how many times over the past couple of years. 2008 was a heyday for ripping on Bo's demeanor. And no, Bo will not get a pass if his defense goes to pot. He's got playmakers all over the field. If his defense starts hemorrhaging points on a regular basis, he's going to face the same heat - in fact, probably more, since he's the Head Coach and he preaches responsibility.

But that's a "what if" scenario that we don't have to deal with right now. Right now we have an offensive unit that has scored two touchdowns in six meaningful games. Putting this on Bo's plate is deflecting blame from the people who are responsible for in-game playcalling and for developing talent in practice.

:zoom I'm done, not enough stamina to hold this argument up. well done sir B)

EZ-E.....are you serious about #6??

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I don't know if i'd call the difference massive, a decent difference, sure, massive? No

Scoring Offense- 40th average

2010- 28th

2009- 75th

2008- 17th

Scoring Defense- 28th average

2010- 3rd

2009- 1st

2008- 80th

I was referring to this and last year.

Total offense

2010 - 32

2009 - 99

Total defense

2010 - 9

2009 - 7

Given the utter free fall our offense is in currently and has been steadily getting worse since the injury to Tmart (Iowa St, Kansas & TAM) it would not be surprising in the least to see the current "respectable" 32nd in Total Offense fall a long ways by season end.

Tmart is 99% of the offensive improvement from last year and with him hurt.....it's 2009 once again.

Exactly that, the injury to Martinez. Before Martinez was injured we averaged 38 points and 459 yards of offense. The 3 halfs of football we'd played prior to Martinez saw us score 31, 20 and 24 points, we had Martinez throw for 323 yards and 5 TD's and run for 112 against OSU, Helu ripped off 307 yards against Mizzou.

Shawn Watson and this team were setting records for offensive output by individuals at a school with a great history on the offensive side of the ball. Then Martinez got hurt, Bo told Watson to strip down the offense again and here we are.

Watson is doing what Bo tells him to do, Bo doesn't have much faith in Cody, despite Watson having plenty. If you don't think we're in vanilla mode again, I don't know what to tell you.

This ^

Hammer meet nail.

Three games come to mind at this point in time: Mizzou, Okie Lite, and Texas.

Texas - he made the adjustments that he needed to to win that game. He can not help that Niles could not hold the ball. Like it or not, Niles is still one of our top two true wide recievers.

Mizzou- Enough said.

Okie Lite- Enough said.

There are plenty more examples of us showing up on offense.

For the folks that keep saying Bo made adjustments on Defense due to injury because that is what good coordinators do, HE IS NOT A COORDINATOR, HE IS THE HEAD COACH! He is responsible for the WHOLE TEAM not just one side of the ball. The offensive struggles are his fault as well. If he doesn’t like something or thinks someone needs to sit he has the power to changes things. If he doesn’t use that power then maybe he isn’t cut out to be a Head Coach and he would be better off just being a Defensive Coordinator

Well, yeah, but he doesnt call the plays for the offense.

I thought this thread was zapped. I could not find it this morning. It is very interesting the amount of backlash that I have created by simply saying that we do not hold our defensive staff to the same standard as our offensive one.

That typically happens when you post something wrong. ;)

That should be good to keep this thread alive for another hundred posts. :)

Zoogies, your sig line from that ultimate virgin HTO over the HI boards is so bad but I can't stop laughing at it! Please dont tell me you like that guys posts!

Don't know what you have against a good point.

Knapp, Watson is responsible for coaching his position, and designing an offense out of the pieces he is given. He works with what he has, and especially at WR, that hasn't been much. At QB this year, going with Taylor, we have also been extremely limited in what we are able to do. But as we all knew going into the situation, those limitations in the scope of the offense were just the trade-off to some other things, and that's worked out quite well.

Unfortunately we have no options outside of Zac and Taylor right now with the disastrous year Green is having.

Zoogies, your sig line from that ultimate virgin HTO over the HI boards is so bad but I can't stop laughing at it! Please dont tell me you like that guys posts!

Don't know what you have against a good point.

Knapp, Watson is responsible for coaching his position, and designing an offense out of the pieces he is given. He works with what he has, and especially at WR, that hasn't been much. At QB this year, going with Taylor, we have also been extremely limited in what we are able to do. But as we all knew going into the situation, those limitations in the scope of the offense were just the trade-off to some other things, and that's worked out quite well.

Unfortunately we have no options outside of Zac and Taylor right now with the disastrous year Green is having.

HTO has a good point? Where? In that quote you have? Come on, guys, its not rocket science. It literally takes 5 minutes to install a play or two that can be more benificial for a different QB. Trust me, I know. That doesnt mean you go from wanting a small playbook to a big playbook back to a small one then back to a big one.

You can run the EXACT same blocking scheme for a typical 22 dive or 22 iso that can run with an 11 dive or 11 iso. But now, you have your big strong 230 pound QB acting as a running back, running forward, not side to side which he is not good at, and picking up yards straight ahead. HTO is an idiot, you know that.