Did Cody Green earn the start next week?

Sparker

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does it matter how many games he's started as a result of extreme lack of depth/injuries? It doesn't change the fact that he is a young, developing guy who is our 3rd string QB this year and should have redshirted last, if the depth hadn't thinned out immensely with two options clearly ahead of him getting taken out of the equation (Witt, Spano).

Martinez is still developing but you wouldn't dare sit him if he was healthy now would you?

Green should start. If the offense doesn't show up we know exactly who needs to be fired.

Every competent OC produces the same results with his 3rd stringer as with his 1st stringer, regardless of the quality of the opponent's defense...

JOEY I wouldn't worry a whole lot. We shall see how it goes with Green. As others have pointed out, we were possibly in worse shape last year injury wise on offense, in the CCG, against a higher quality opponent to boot. Main difference being we do not have Suh.

Are you being sarcastic with the first sentence? I mean seriously? I would say that the Colts and Pats have competent OC's but no one in their right mind would say that a third stringer (basically a UFL player) would replicate the results of Manning or Brady.

I could also guarantee that if Cam Newton went down, no Auburn fan would trust Kodi Burns to replicate Cam's abilities.

I bet you wish you could take that back.

Green should start. If the offense doesn't show up we know exactly who needs to be fired.

Every competent OC produces the same results with his 3rd stringer as with his 1st stringer, regardless of the quality of the opponent's defense...

JOEY I wouldn't worry a whole lot. We shall see how it goes with Green. As others have pointed out, we were possibly in worse shape last year injury wise on offense, in the CCG, against a higher quality opponent to boot. Main difference being we do not have Suh.

Are you being sarcastic with the first sentence? I mean seriously? I would say that the Colts and Pats have competent OC's but no one in their right mind would say that a third stringer (basically a UFL player) would replicate the results of Manning or Brady.

I could also guarantee that if Cam Newton went down, no Auburn fan would trust Kodi Burns to replicate Cam's abilities.

Complete sarcasm. OP (emphasis in bold) seems to suggest that should be the standard, so I am pointing out how crazy it is. Good examples :)

So 99, I'm a bit confused with our series of responses. First you seem to suggest that we'll know Watson should go if the O doesn't show up with Green starting. I try to point out that's a crazy standard to hold him to, given that Green is 3rd string. You seem to refute that by suggesting Green isn't just any old third string based on how he's started a few games. I tried to refute that argument, and now we're back on Martinez. I'm confused, but to answer your question, no way I would sit Taylor if healthy (*unless he is suspended, but that situation is murky and we'll take it out of the equation for now), he is the #1 man.

* by the way, I think the Colts have had one highly renowned OC since Manning has been there, but the Pats have had a bit of a revolving door there recently. Bill O'Brien is OC at least in name, and QBs coach, but of course Pats fans are skeptical of him still and have been since McDaniels left. Plenty of criticizing of playcalling, which is pretty much what any OC gets though. Not a lot of hype about O'Brien at any rate, though some press people locally feel he's solid.

Complete sarcasm. OP (emphasis in bold) seems to suggest that should be the standard, so I am pointing out how crazy it is. Good examples :)

So 99, I'm a bit confused with our series of responses. First you seem to suggest that we'll know Watson should go if the O doesn't show up with Green starting. I try to point out that's a crazy standard to hold him to, given that Green is 3rd string. You seem to refute that by suggesting Green isn't just any old third string based on how he's started a few games. I tried to refute that argument, and now we're back on Martinez. I'm confused, but to answer your question, no way I would sit Taylor if healthy (*unless he is suspended, but that situation is murky and we'll take it out of the equation for now), he is the #1 man.

* by the way, I think the Colts have had one highly renowned OC since Manning has been there, but the Pats have had a bit of a revolving door there recently. Bill O'Brien is OC at least in name, and QBs coach, but of course Pats fans are skeptical of him still and have been since McDaniels left. Plenty of criticizing of playcalling, which is pretty much what any OC gets though. Not a lot of hype about O'Brien at any rate, though some press people locally feel he's solid.

Ok good. If Watson needs to be fired for something, it needs to be the QB coach position. New blood somewhere. Anywhere. Player development on the offensive side is key and it seems like only the RB and TE positions are at elite levels.

Seriously doubt we will get a better QB coach. OL and esp. WR, it's been said many times before, but worth rehashing I suppose. Defensively...maybe LB? But, Ekeler is really a fan favorite. I really don't think we will see many changes on the staff at all in any event.

Maybe not new blood but a new mindset that favors player development and new techniques. Nebraska is reaching a level where they can win every single game yet make the stupidest of stupid mistakes in big moments or just lack execution in clutch opportunities. These aren't things that a new offensive philosophy will help. This isn't Charlie McBribe going from 5-2 to the 4-3 because of lack of team speed.

So it's crazy to hold Watson accountable for not being consistent week to week when everyone was healthy? We played SDSU and only put up 17 on them. The offense shows up when it wants to. No matter how good your players are or aren't if you don't bother to show up you are not gonna win. Each and every game no matter who was qb did we have an idea on how are offense plays. Why does Carl get the defense ready and Watson not? Some things i don't understand like having penalties for illegal formation after like 9 games. Run over defenses for 80 yards and then start passing and go 3 and out. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the plays he is calling a lot of times. Is Green getting high percentage pass plays to get into a rhythm and get some confidence? Just like not having a certain player unavailable and say we are doomed when they go down.

the only qbs that are capable of playing are TM and Green. IMHO, it would be foolish to play anyone but Green, if we are lucky TM might be healthy for a bowl gme, but leave it to Pelini to push TM in before he is healed from TT and the ankle injury. when it comes to playing hurt, Bo doesn't think things thru very well.