New Offensive Coordinator? Who would it be?

ladyhawke

This is a ridiculous conversation. We have games to play yet this season. Watson is our guy. I think he prepared very well for yesterday's game and came up with a great game plan.

Against an atrocious D. Let's not play coy, kids: Against horrible defenses, Watson can be counted on to deliver a quality game plan about half the time. Against solid defenses, he'll do it one out of every ten tries. He is a HUGE factor holding this team back from being truly elite. As for his replacement . . .

Absolutely not Norm Chow. As someone else said, he is excellent at running a Pro-Style offense and not much else. Now that UCLA seems bent on running the Pistol offense, you'll notice that Norm is not worth much and their offense is one of the worst in the country.

I like the idea of bringing in some guys from LSU, but hasn't LSU had a relatively anemic offense this year? For awhile, they were ranked dead last in passing. Part of that can likely be explained by the quality SEC defenses they see, but goddamn they were awful for awhile.

The question is whether we want to continue down the track of running a spread offense. I think we would do well to keep going in that direction and not be afraid to mix in some I-Formation and when necessary. Being a run-first team makes the play-action pass very dangerous. Sprinkle in some Wildcat here and there and we'd be good to go.

Since when is a top 30 rush defense atrocious? Also, we had our 3rd string QB and a banged up Helu. I liked the creativity with Burkhead. I am not a Watson lover but I think these conversations should wait until after the season. Would you all be going crazy if we go 12-2? Would you all be wanting to fire people? You sound like Iowa Fans!

And if we score even "one" TD vs the aggies we're 11 - 1 and in the NC hunt. But naaaa......we wouldn't want that.

And if we score any offensive TDs vs Texas we're likely 12 - 0 and in the NC hunt. Nope.....we don't want that either.

One of these years we won't have a NC caliber defense to bail us out and we'll just see how thrilled we are with five or more losses.

Lots of IF's there. So, you are going to blame a coach for the Texas game? There were a lot of dropped passes in that game. That's not coaching, that's execution and athleticism. Coaches also can't control injuries. Do I think that they made awful adjustments against A&M...YES. Do I think we are national championship caliber without Taylor Martinez...NO!

A new offensive philosophy might not be what Nebraska needs right now. The mind behind the offensive philosophy needs to stop being so stubborn and prideful. For a guy who the last two seasons had to switch the offense up mid season, is very stubborn in-game with general matchups and going away from something that works and vice versa.

It seems like Nebraska's offensive woes, come from lack of execution and undisciplined penalties, these coming mostly from the O-Line and receiver corps. This leads me to believe that the Huskers need upgrades at position coaching. The biggest example comes from Mike McNeil getting horribly underused as a receiver as opposed to a TE. Ron Brown needs to be the WR coach.

• Fire 1

A new offensive philosophy might not be what Nebraska needs right now. The mind behind the offensive philosophy needs to stop being so stubborn and prideful. For a guy who the last two seasons had to switch the offense up mid season, is very stubborn in-game with general matchups and going away from something that works and vice versa.

It seems like Nebraska's offensive woes, come from lack of execution and undisciplined penalties, these coming mostly from the O-Line and receiver corps. This leads me to believe that the Huskers need upgrades at position coaching. The biggest example comes from Mike McNeil getting horribly underused as a receiver as opposed to a TE. Ron Brown needs to be the WR coach.

I agree with you 100%. You mentioned something that is huge. PENALTIES! We can blame the officials all we want but they don't create false starts! There have been so many!

One of these years we didn't have a national championship caliber defense to bail us out, i.e 2008.

I guess it's cyclical, huh?

Well, that 55th ranked total defense was a massive upgrade from the previous year's 112th ranked defense. Then the next year it was 7th rated total defense. We're currently ranked #5. Gee zoogies, think we can see a trend here? I don't see a lot of cyclical activity here but no doubt there will be a bump in the road someday.

Meanwhile, in total contrast, NU's 2008 12th rated total offense fell off a cliff to 99th. We're currently ranked 31st (thanks to Tmart). Hmmm.....

And with BY FAR his best offense and a competent (not great) defense in 2008 we're 9 - 4. Not exactly in the NC hunt I think. Just imagine how many games we win with even a competent (not great) defense and 2009's offense? Or this year's offense without Mmart? Four? Maybe five? There wouldn't be any hiding behind the blackshirts then I would guess.

One of these years we didn't have a national championship caliber defense to bail us out, i.e 2008.

I guess it's cyclical, huh?

Well, that 55th ranked total defense was a massive upgrade from the previous year's 112th ranked defense. Then the next year it was 7th rated total defense. We're currently ranked #5. Gee zoogies, think we can see a trend here? I don't see a lot of cyclical activity here but no doubt there will be a bump in the road someday.

Meanwhile, in total contrast, NU's 2008 12th rated total offense fell off a cliff to 99th. We're currently ranked 31st (thanks to Tmart). Hmmm.....

And with BY FAR his best offense and a competent (not great) defense in 2008 we're 9 - 4. Not exactly in the NC hunt I think. Just imagine how many games we win with even a competent (not great) defense and 2009's offense? Or this year's offense without Mmart? Four? Maybe five? There wouldn't be any hiding behind the blackshirts then I would guess.

Generally when you talk about cycles and trends, they occur over time, instead of a 3-year period.

I don't care if that 55th ranked defense was an improvement over the previous year or not. I know that it was and that's a big credit to Bo. I'm not putting down Bo here. I'm saying our offense had to pick up the slack for the D that year. Texas Tech game is the first that comes to my mind. We would have destroyed them if we just had some semblance of a defense. The same thing happening sometimes now, but in reverse. Except for games like OSU, I suppose.

"Imagine how many games we would have won in '09 with any offense" = "Imagine how many games we would have won in '08 with any defense", really my point here.

By the way, I think our offense falling off the map in 2009 has a lot to do with three factors. In order of importance, IMO: 1) conservative approach, 2) extaordinary injuries, 3) missing Callahan's influence, with the OL in particular.

I know there was a few people in this thread that had stated that Bo and Frost do not see eye to eye. I haven't (unless I missed it) seen the response to the question of why they don't? Did something happen or what is the deal here? Really curious if somebody knows.

Not sure what happened, but it's not like Scott has the resume. Maybe with some more experience and polishing, but I would say he's probably a position coach at best right now. The only reason why people keep calling for him is because of his name. I think the story is basically Scott was around and had interest when Bo was hired, but Bo opted not to put him on the staff.

I guess generally people want some big name OC to come and bring his system here, but it isn't likely to happen. Lack of interest both ways, probably. Bo wants a certain offense which is what we have, so any OC would probably come from within. Not necessarily a guy on the staff currently, but maybe a guy coming in as a position coach and then getting groomed for OC after a year or two. Watson came on in 2006 as a Tight Ends coach, remember.

We don't have a lot of good working pieces on offense, which is getting to be a big concern (Ted Gilmore...and Barney Cotton is probably somewhere where we can upgrade, though Bo probably doesn't want him to leave and there is a continuity argument to be made). But Watson is one of the better minds there as a QB coach and OC, so we should really just be thankful to hold onto him as long as we are able to. I know people are results driven, but give him better pieces to work with and the results will come. Of course, wanting to hold the offense back to let the defense win games and minimize mistakes doesn't help the numbers either. The bottom line is that we would be fairly hard pressed to do better at OC, IMO. Anyone that comes in here to replace Watson, still has to work with the same pieces he does.

I agree it would be impossible to find an OC who could do better than this....

2000: #66

2001: #20

2002: #58

2003: #66

2004: #85

2005: #89

2008: #12

2009: #99

Throw in this year's zero offensive Tds vs Texas & TAM and the amazing steamrolling performamces vs both Kansas & South Dakota State and we're talking Bill Walsh. Yep, we would be crazy to want anybody else.

this pretty much says it all. 2 different schools, tons of different players. some good teams, some bad teams. some injuries, some defections. But generally, pretty freaking CRAPPY results. Just for example in 2001 watson looks like complete genius riding those horses to 62 against us. Then the next week CRAPS THE BED and only puts up 3 against texass. So typical. watson sucks, my friends. don't be fooled by 2 or 3 decent games a year against sub-par defenses, cuz if someone smacks his offense in the mouth, it crumbles and he has no counter-punch. If our all world Blackshirts weren't saving his ass every game, it would be much worse. MUCH worse.

2 goal line stands against SDSU

6 turnovers gained v Idaho (including 2 pick 6)

2 picks in 3 minutes (one for a TD) v ISU, plus an OT pick at the goal line

9points given up on the road v aTm

only 87 total yds in a measly 20-3 win v KU

a HUGE goal line stand v Mizzou only up by 14, long after our huge start had stalled

thats 6 games off the top of my head where our defense SHUTS the DOOR on the opponent or it could've been much worse result

• Fire 2

I know there was a few people in this thread that had stated that Bo and Frost do not see eye to eye. I haven't (unless I missed it) seen the response to the question of why they don't? Did something happen or what is the deal here? Really curious if somebody knows.

All I know is that when Frost was playing for the Green Bay Packers Bo Pelini was the linebackers coach.

So, when Frost went in to Pelini's office, to inquire about working for him, Pelini and Frost already had some kind of history.

I just think Coach Pelini already had his staff lined up and it was nothing personal against Frost.