Nebraska vs. Oklahoma

This game will come down to if we can play a game free of mental errors. It will be interesting to see how Bo does things differently for this game as compared to the Texas game. I think in that game the everyone was way to pumped up, and when the juices are flowin like that errors pop up. The team needs to be relaxed and focused, if they come in with an attitude of "f the nay sayers lets have some fun and kick some ass" we will win.

Next...after watching the colorado game....cody plays better behind the center instead of from shotgun. Cody is still more of a pro style offense type of qb instead of the zone read. So if he is our starter the offense needs to be ran a little different. And we to not be afraid to throw some down field passes, or do a few trick plays.

I have no clue who will win, because I dont know which teams will show up since both have been so spastic this season.

Next...after watching the colorado game....cody plays better behind the center instead of from shotgun. Cody is still more of a pro style offense type of qb instead of the zone read. So if he is our starter the offense needs to be ran a little different. And we to not be afraid to throw some down field passes, or do a few trick plays.

I don't really know where this perception comes from. I suppose it comes from Cody not being as shifty as Taylor, but Cody did not come here anywhere CLOSE to being a pro-style QB. Extremely simple high school offense where he ALWAYS sat back in the shotgun.

So if he has developed into a good under-center guy, that is quite a lot of solid development for Cody in two years.

Cody did come in with a better passing base than Taylor (though still needing a ton of work), so I do think he's probably the better passing option for us. Not sure how far he has gone in that department. Mainly the problem has been getting his head into the game, but if he's turned the corner on that we could see some very good things from him yet.

It will be up to Bo to decide to further unwrap Green and unleash him, or to play it safe. There are certainly arguments for either option, but I hope we show some good faith in Cody. I think that could yield some better results; and then to turn it down and play it safe if the game dictates it.

After putting alot of thought into this I think we need to establish a consistent running game. Whether Green or Martinez start that's the key to me. OU's running defense has been pretty decent. Also no way we can win this game if we don't cause any turnovers. I think Stoops will have em running the ball alot more in this game. If thats the case with Murray a little banged up it doesn't mean they can't run the ball, Finch is a pretty nice runningback. I also think OU will sell out to stop our run game, with Green at QB i'm not sure how i feel about that. Cody can def throw the ball around, he has the arm to do it, sometimes he needs to tune down the cannon a little but if he has any touch on the throws he makes this game i think we can tear them apart on offense. Honestly this game could go either way and i'm really looking forward to it. Our D has got to put some pressure on Landry but that will be tough because he gets rid of the ball pretty fast. I think NU has to put together a nearly perfect game to come out of Dallas with a win but so will Oklahoma. The skers will be ready though and this will be a great game, my prediction NU 17 OU 10-14 pts. Either way i couldn't be happier with our last big 12 matchup! GBR!!!

I have kind of a different take on it. I think not having Martinez foreces Watson to be a little more creative in his gameplan. With Martinez in, I have this feeling that something like the Texas game happens, a good defensive coordinator takes the zone read (and Martinez's big plays) away and it really stagnates our offense. And Watson doesn't seem to adust well in-game when that happens. With Green in there (from the start), it seems like we have a little more variety in the offensive gameplan. I hope we see a real mix of formations and do run some play action on first down, try to keep the defense from loading up in the box.

Hopefully Carl will be aggressive with our D to force some turnovers and most importantly, we have to minimize our penalties. If we can keep it clean, I think it stays close and then we have Henry to hopefully be the deciding factor.

I think not having Martinez foreces Watson to be a little more creative in his gameplan.

I couldn't agree more. In a couple of our games this year, both losses, it seemed like when Taylor was pulled from the game (by choice or by injury) Cody was expected to come in and run the same game plan. I watched with the rest of you as he sat back trying to do his best T-Magic zone read impersonation and failed miserably. It just looked like he was totally out of his comfort zone. In the Colorado game he had a different look -- HIS look, if you will. We didn't pass much, because we didn't need to. But, 10/13 with no INTs was great.

Back to the thread subject regarding the Oklahoma game though -- let's look at stats vs our most recent common opponent, OK State....our games had a very similar type of feel to them....we both beat them AT OK State in a high scoring game. In fact, they scored 41 against both teams at home, while losing. Sort of a scary stat for them! Anyway, the break-down......

Passing:

Huskers: 23/35, 323 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT

Sooners: 37/62, 468 yards, 4 TD, 3 INT

Rushing:

Huskers: 44 rushes for 217 yards, 4.9 yards/carry, 1 fumble lost

Sooners: 45 rushes for 120 yards, 2.7 yards/carry, 0 fumbles lost

Time of Possession:

Huskers: 34:45

Sooners: 35:24

Defense....

Huskers allowed 212 yards rushing, 283 yards passing, 495 yards total, forced 0 fumbles and got 1 INT

Sooners allowed 122 yards rushing, 257 yards passing, 379 yards total, forced 0 fumbles and got 3 INTs

The defensive yards allowed and interceptions allowed look like the biggest variables. Huskers defense allowed 100+ more yards of total offense, gained 100+ yards less than the Sooners on offense, and still came out with about the same final score due to the turnover difference.

I think if the Huskers can protect the ball on offense and be disruptive on defense, this will be a very close game. If the turnover margin is even, the edge in this game slides toward the favor of the Sooners.

With or without Martinez, I just hope the decision is made already by now, and we can spend the week preparing for the game with whichever QB is going to hopefully be able to play for 4 quarters. I don't see a QB change mid-game working out in our favor regardless of the circumstances.

GO BIG RED!! (oh, and the "to go" cartoon is awesome!)

Landry Jones threw the ball 60+ times last night. If they try that aginst our secondary it could be a very long night for Landry.

My thoughts exactly.

To me, this really comes down to which offense shows up on Saturday for Nebraska. If Jones throws the ball 60ish times and if our defense comes even semi-prepared, I think we will do well against OU's offense. Their offensive line hasn't been playing great this year, Jones is about as inconsistent as my sleep schedule, and their running game is really nothing to brag about this year. They have a great corp of wide receivers, but we probably have the best defensive back field they will see all year.

As far as our offense is concerned, we shouldn't be surprised if we have a low scoring game regardless of who the quarterback is. We need now, arguably more than at any other point this season, for our offensive line to play it's best game of the year. It all starts up front, and if they're knocking guys off the ball like they did against Colorado, I think we should be just fine.

All this said, at least 10 of 12 Big 12 schools will be pulling for Oklahoma to win this game. Colorado probably won't even care to watch it. From Beebe all the way down to his coffee runner, very few if any people associated with the Big 12 offices (including referees) wants the program that is leaving the conference (and almost cost everyone a job) to leave with the trophy. Expect no favors and expect plenty of calls to go against us.

I don't have a great feeling about this game. If this were just a regular conference game on a neutral field, I'd feel pretty good about it. But, given the implications, I'm worried. I think Nebraska has the better team and should win, but I have my reservations over whether or not we will. Our guys just have to play and play smart. They can't control anything else.