Where will he be next year?

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watson should be fired after that poor performance against Okie State, the Texas game where his senior WR stepped up and make HUGE plays in HUGE times and Watson STILL could not win it. Against Mizzou, where to begin? ISU, 24 points in regulation is not at all enough to win the game with the defensive product we are currently putting out on the field. Watson has had a sh**ty year. We should never be happy with anything he does. When we win it is no thanks to him, when we lose, it is completely and fully 100% his fault.

The whole point of this thread was to see where people believe Watson will be next year. I already know EZ-E and zoogies are Watson supporters and that Square is not so much... didn't want this to turn into another back and forth on whether or not he SHOULD stay, as was clearly stated in the title of the post. But whatever... if you're happy going into these big games knowing we have to rely on our defense and pray the offense just doesn't have a costly turnover, more power to you.

p.s. - your comment about receivers in the Texas game is only pointing out Watson's shortcomings... people questioned the strength of Pelini's D after OSU because they gave up a lot of points, but guess what - next game, there were personel changes. Have we seen Watson make a change from the biggest liability on the team in Niles Paul? Don't tell me we need his big play potential. With Bo's D you can win with possession receivers which Kinnie, McNeil, Brokemeier et al are.

Watson should be fired after that poor performance against Okie State, the Texas game where his senior WR stepped up and make HUGE plays in HUGE times and Watson STILL could not win it. Against Mizzou, where to begin? ISU, 24 points in regulation is not at all enough to win the game with the defensive product we are currently putting out on the field. Watson has had a sh**ty year. We should never be happy with anything he does. When we win it is no thanks to him, when we lose, it is completely and fully 100% his fault.

The whole point of this thread was to see where people believe Watson will be next year. I already know EZ-E and zoogies are Watson supporters and that Square is not so much... didn't want this to turn into another back and forth on whether or not he SHOULD stay, as was clearly stated in the title of the post. But whatever... if you're happy going into these big games knowing we have to rely on our defense and pray the offense just doesn't have a costly turnover, more power to you.

p.s. - your comment about receivers in the Texas game is only pointing out Watson's shortcomings... people questioned the strength of Pelini's D after OSU because they gave up a lot of points, but guess what - next game, there were personel changes. Have we seen Watson make a change from the biggest liability on the team in Niles Paul? Don't tell me we need his big play potential. With Bo's D you can win with possession receivers which Kinnie, McNeil, Brokemeier et al are.

:)

Shawn Watson does what Bo Pelini tells him to do. So any "shortcomings" that Watson has can be placed right back on Bo. Every game that I watch I realize that Watson has prepared a gameplan that puts us in the best position to win the game. It is up to the players from there. I have been the biggest Niles Paul hater on this board and that is for damn sure. I have called him a "liability" and have said that "addition by subtraction is in order" many times.

The only knock on Watson that I have, which you brought up (and I have had it for awhile) is that there is no accountability on that side of the ball, ie Niles Paul. But like it or not, we did not have the depth at the moment to pull Niles. We have a lot of young talent at WR like Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, and Baptiste. But they are not ready to play this year.

Watson is going nowhere and if he ever does it is to take a head coaching position.

Weather Watson stays or not, the offense is going to have to be modified/changed. It is set up to go against Big 12 teams. Not Big 10 teams. Personally I don't think this offense will fly in the Big 10.

Yes. The two pulling guards that we have every zone read is just not enough. We need to play more power football. :blink:

10 win seasons is not good enough :sarcasm

We won 9 games in 2006. Was Kevin Cosgrove a good defensive coordinator?

:yeah

we won 9 games including a bowl game this year we have 10 regular season wins, so if you are seriously asking if 10-2 is better than 9-5 the answer is yes.

Secondly yes 9 wins is good enought to keep a cordinators job, but when you turn around the next year and go 5-7 and give up almost 40 points a game than we can discuss fire cordinators.

Weather Watson stays or not, the offense is going to have to be modified/changed. It is set up to go against Big 12 teams. Not Big 10 teams. Personally I don't think this offense will fly in the Big 10.

Yes. The two pulling guards that we have every zone read is just not enough. We need to play more power football. :blink:

I would argue that a speed based offnese like we have will have success in the big 10. The defense seems to be a bit slower than the big 12. However I do agree that adjustments will need to be made as the big 10 will likely play smash mouth aginst us and without some what of a power game to be able to play clock control and stay on the field for say a 6 or seven minute drive when neccessary our D will be worn down quickly.

10 win seasons is not good enough :sarcasm

We won 9 games in 2006. Was Kevin Cosgrove a good defensive coordinator?

:yeah

we won 9 games including a bowl game this year we have 10 regular season wins, so if you are seriously asking if 10-2 is better than 9-5 the answer is yes.

Secondly yes 9 wins is good enought to keep a cordinators job, but when you turn around the next year and go 5-7 and give up almost 40 points a game than we can discuss fire cordinators.

Normally i would agree with you but that doesn't answer the question is why Watson's offense gets shut down not just by good defenses but by inferior defenses? When you have a losing season that means you didn't see the writing on the wall and just hoped it would work out.

I think that we on this board and probably the people who frequent other boards have a different way of looking at things. I'd guess that the fanbase at large wants him to stay. They might have some "what the..." questions about the lack of scoring power, but I'd doubt that so many people are blaming watson wholly. He isn't the offensive equivalent of Cosgrove or anything...not exactly, anyway.

Bo wants to play a spread offense, revolving around zone option, because that type of offense gave his defense the most trouble in the SEC. Shawn Watson is a West Coast offensive coordinator. It is not that either style is right or wrong, they are simply different. Notice how much more Nebraska was under center in a one back set rather then all spread all the time. Watson is not at his most comfortable calling a spread game. There in lies many of our offensive trouble. Proverbial square peg, round hole.

My point is that # of wins does not = good coordinator. Only a momo would consider that I was asking if the 06 season was better than our current situation.

So we should wait until we lose 7 games before we take action? Do you think that Callihan would have bought himself a few more years if he had hired a good defensive coordinator? Callihan's ship went down so hard because he didn't have a D to keep him in games. If Pelini had been their DC during those years (not saying that was workable, but a Pelini-esque defensive mind) I think we'd still have ol' Bill and would probably have put together some solid seasons. Waiting until the ship is sunk to plug a leak isn't smart.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but if we lay an offensive egg against both Texas and OU during our last year in the B12 and then don't have a strong offensive performance in the whatever bowl we end up at... It'll be hard to say that we shouldn't at least look at what is available to upgrade the OC position.

With freshmen QB's we are 10-2 why in the hell would we make a change. Drop passes in one game for a lost and questionable refs in another lost

You may see it that way but i see an offense that gets shut down some weeks and some weeks that looks great. We shouldn't be relying on a couple of plays to win the game.