How will our O-Line hold up?

If we get the running game going, I think we win this game. We seem to be hit and miss against good teams this year up front. We took care of manhandling Missouri and OSU, but have not been consistent all year, especially with penalties. How do our guys match up against Oklahoma's D-line? Can our guys open holes for Roy and Rex?

Thanks for the insight - I really have no idea.

:bigredn:

Went I went to bed last night, I kept having images of Martinez, Helu and Rex in the backfield, and running stuff out of the Wildcat Formation. I think Nebraska needs a lot of Play action pass, and completions to keep OU's defense on their heels. Nebraska's O line needs to be opening up the pipeline in the game. If we can make the OU Offense go 3 and Out, and tire out their D, it will be a difference maker. I hope to see Nebraska go through 4+ minute drives in the game.

Went I went to bed last night, I kept having images of Martinez, Helu and Rex in the backfield, and running stuff out of the Wildcat Formation. I think Nebraska needs a lot of Play action pass, and completions to keep OU's defense on their heels. Nebraska's O line needs to be opening up the pipeline in the game. If we can make the OU Offense go 3 and Out, and tire out their D, it will be a difference maker. I hope to see Nebraska go through 4+ minute drives in the game.

I do wonder how much we will depend on the Wildcat and how effective it will be against Oklahoma. It seems like the more it we run it, the less effective it might get. I'm sure OU has been prepping for it all week. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know that it will be able to save us this week if we are forced to lean on it too heavily. I think, as you said, the play action pass needs to be our bread and butter. Martinez seems more accurate and calm in the pocket when throwing out of play action (assuming Martinez is the starter). Of course, to get them to bite on the play action, it again comes down to how effective the o-line is at keeping that run-game a threat.

I also think too much Wildcat (and switching between qb's) hurts the o-line as far as tempo and rhythm (leading to penalties).

The O-line needs to play their best game of the year. No drive killing penalties. If the O-line shows up, I think we win this game going away. If the O-line continues to struggle then it is going to be a long night. We need the O-line to pound OU's D into submission and wear them out. This will be helped if our D can create turnovers and fluster Landry Jones.

Both of NU's lines will heavily decide this game. The front four on defense needs to make Jones get "happy feet". That is when Landry has been very poor and indecisive when throwing. He sets his feet and has time, he will get it to Broyles and company, no matter how good our secondary is.

The bigger key is exactly what was said in the OP. This is not a Boomer front four of recent years. They are good but not as dominant in the past. Beal is their stud up front and Shirles, Hardrick, and DJ/Marcel Jones MUST keep him in front of them. They are big as usual on the interior but not near as seasoned as they normally are.

NU's OLine has been smoke and mirrors all year. They look like the old days against the crap teams like they should, but can be nowhere to be found in a lot of other games. They controll the fronts of Mizzou and Okie State but then get abused by the likes of KU and SDSU. Which group shows up? They need to keep the offense on the field and eat the clock and let the defense get some long rests on the sideline.

Barney Cotton MUST earn his paycheck tonight for all of us Husker fans to celebrate all the way to the Big Ten!